What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

Nice louching Al!

So what is the verdict on the cherries Marc? Were they worth giving up your childrens' college fund? :P

A friend of mine sent me a couple of drinks to try.

Coolage Cooler

2 oz bourbon (I used Vintage 17yr)

1 oz Lillet (I substituted Cocci Americano since I didn't have any Lillet)

1/2 large lemon (I used 3/4 of a small-medium lemon)

7 dashes of Absinthe (from an Angostura bottle - since I didn't have an empty Ango bottle, I used about 1/2 tsp)

1/4 oz simple syrup or sweeten to taste

Stir and serve over ice

Pretty nice summer drink.

zSJ9B.jpg

looking good...

I had a New Albanian Naughty Girl Blonde IPA yesterday...& an Avery/Russian River Collaboration Not Litigation Ale (inspired by them both having a beer named Salvation)...the Naughty Girl was quite alright, but the Litigation, despite having a healthy head, tasted quite flat...

also had what I thought were my last Evil Power & Ragnarok just now...but found one more of each that I still might consume tonight:)...

I realize that I still haven't said all that I had at the Indiana Microbrewers Festival...but it's a long list...the highlight was probably a 2007 Barrel Aged Alesmith Speedway Stout, though!...

15ebdc63.jpg

I usually have to drive to Ohio for Speedway Stout, so having the (vintage) Barrel Aged version in Indy was a treat...really lucked out...used some name dropping etc to get behind the tables at the distributor's tent...I have a feeling this bottle was given to a distributor as a freebie because of a torn label...or it could just be because it was on ice before I got there (FFF's labels, for instance, are always coming off)...I'm used to the silver foil...now I know the gold is for barrel aged versions...

anyways, it was even more awesome than the normal version...

Edited by emelius

Aberlour 12

EDIT: I remember this being discussed before but I had no luck finding it via search. Does anybody have any suggestions for a kind of "standard" set of liquors and liqueurs to have stocked to make most common cocktails?

I think this is the discussion you were referring to.

and some of the replies:

Updating my post:

1. Gin: I really like Bluecoat or Plymouth - I believe you have tried the Bluecoat.

2. Vermouth: Dolin Dry or Blanc for "dry" and Carpano Antica for sweet vermouth. CA is not cheap but is a liter and you could skimp by only using about 3/4 of what a drink calls for (and depending on the drink, you may prefer this).

3. Rye: Wild Turkey Rye 101 is my go to rye for "cheap." It is awesome!

8. Some good rum. Smith and Cross is awesome. There are lots of good rums out there. I also like Vizcaya, Ron Zacapa, Clement Rhum Agricole...

9. Tequila: I haven't tried many but El Tesoro, Casa Noble, and Don Julio are all great. There is a budget tequila thread

I recently found the first rye Canadian whisky that I really like:

Forty%20Creek%20Barrel%20Select.jpg

It's apparently a blend of rye, barley, and corn. It's not as good as most of the Scotches in my cupboard, but it's less than half the price and I could happily and quickly drink it all night if I weren't bloody epileptic.

Edited by acidbasement

I was bored so I made a CCB Oak Aged Jai Alai and FFF Black Sun Stout Black and Tan. Despite my best efforts, it didn't layer well but damn this the the best B&T I've ever had. Still have more than half the Black Sun bomber, I'll try it with Hopslam next :)

IMG_8075.jpg