What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

That pic makes me sad, Shelly, as I sit eating a re-heated bowl of the same pasta I had re-heated last night. Nicely done, Chef Shelly!

To advance science and help out Marc, I have been conducting Margarita Mixing Experiments tonight, ably assisted by Claire. Given the recent addition of Mandarin Napoleon into our Liqueur Lexicon, Marc was wondering how it fared in 1-1-1 Margaritas. I decided it was best to do a comparison, so I chose the obvious, Cointreau, plus Clement Creole Shrubb. The first round was made with equal parts of Fortaleza Reposado, fresh lime, and each of the three liqueurs.

web.jpg?ver=13170963800001

Claire and I agreed that the Cointreau was the easiest to eliminate. It was the most bland, but probably the most tart if you like that kind of thing. The Creole Shrubb is excellent and flavorful with a bit of sweetness. The Napoleon was very flavorful but I think there was a weird interaction with the tequila. I tasted it as an herbal edge but Claire thought it was more of a rind or oil kind of thing. Either way, it was interesting but not my favorite.

Next, I thought that the blanco might be worth trying so I made a couple of small ones with the Shrubb and the Napoleon.

web.jpg?ver=13170963670001

The differences were smaller, but the same overtones were there. I think that the blanco meshed better with the Napoleon, but the next Margarita I make will be with the Shrubb regardless of the tequila.

That said, the Napoleon has worked very well in the other cocktails I have made and is very tasty on its own.

Thanks Al! So, is the Napoleon more a triple sec or a curaçao or just another class?

The key to a great Manhattan IMO is using an excellent Vermouth like Carpano Antica or Cocchi Vermouth di Torino and finding a bitter that works for you. I can highly recommend the Bittercubes cherrybark-vanilla.

Agreed completely. The vermouth is really a key component. Carpano Antica and Cocchi Torino really shine in this drink.

Want (the Bittercubes cherrybark-vanilla bitters)!

Claire and I agreed that the Cointreau was the easiest to eliminate. It was the most bland, but probably the most tart if you like that kind of thing. The Creole Shrubb is excellent and flavorful with a bit of sweetness. The Napoleon was very flavorful but I think there was a weird interaction with the tequila. I tasted it as an herbal edge but Claire thought it was more of a rind or oil kind of thing. Either way, it was interesting but not my favorite.

Next, I thought that the blanco might be worth trying so I made a couple of small ones with the Shrubb and the Napoleon.

The differences were smaller, but the same overtones were there. I think that the blanco meshed better with the Napoleon, but the next Margarita I make will be with the Shrubb regardless of the tequila.

That said, the Napoleon has worked very well in the other cocktails I have made and is very tasty on its own.

WAT? I guess I'm a bitch for Cointreau. Love that tart. I'll have to see if I can find the Creole Shrubb up here somewhere.

Panther Piss sucks all flavor from the world. Except for piss flavor, that is.

Nothing right now, but we started with champagne cocktails and then different wine pairings with four different courses as Claire and I had dinner to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary (and 25th anniversary of being together).

From the various pics and comments above, for some reason a martini sounds really good right now. I don't think I will have one, but who knows...

Oh, and it was a crazy day in wild card baseball. Congrat to the Cards and jesus fucking christ to the Red Sox for choking while the Rays held on to win in extras.

Edited by Voltron

Panther Piss sucks all flavor from the world. Except for piss flavor, that is.

Nothing right now, but we started with champagne cocktails and then different wine pairings with four different courses as Claire and I had dinner to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary (and 25th anniversary of being together).

From the various pics and comments above, for some reason a martini sounds really good right now. I don't think I will have one, but who knows...

Oh, and it was a crazy day in wild card baseball. Congrat to the Cards and jesus fucking christ to the Red Sox for choking while the Rays held on to win in extras.

Pics and details or we shall talk about you when you are at RMAF. azn.gif

Congrats on the 20th to Claire......................for putting up with you all those years.azn.gif Twenty and twentyfive are a great testament to marital commitment and hard work, we just celebrated our twentieth last December. Perhaps tomorrow you need to post a twentieth anniversary manhattan cocktail receipe?

Edited by Augsburger

In that case I would definitely reverse the proportions of rye and vermouth. No, strike that, I would eliminate the rye altogether.

So, well... I'm a bit surprised. It's bland. Somehow the rye subtracted flavor from the vermouth. It doesnt taste bad, it just doesn't taste. I also used a lot of cherry bitters. It's like the Coors of Manhattans.

4ac15198-ed68-406d.jpg

And you thought I was joking.

Happy 20/25th Al and Claire :jbl:

Edited by morphsci