What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

is there something wrong with me that i consider Hopslam to be a good candidate for a session beer?

get one of the mini-kegs...also, get some Tröegs Nugget Nectar...I think it's better...& so easy to drink that i wouldn't yell at someone for drinking it straight from the bottle...

Edited by emelius

The Final Ward

1 oz rye whiskey

1 oz Luxardo maraschino liqueur

1 oz fresh lemon juice

1 oz Chartreuse

Put all ingredients into an ice-filled shaker and shake hard until well chilled. Strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a lemon twist.

IMG_0067.jpg

A bit sweet but the maraschino is not over the top. I wish I could figure out what was in that Carthusian.

Yellow or Green?

I find that green goes with lime and yellow with lemon. I love this drink.

4b070340-b832-4c55.jpg

Whist Cocktail

1/4 Bacardi rum (1oz Zacapa)

1/4 sweet vermouth (1oz Perucchi)

1/2 Calvados (2oz Pommeau de Mormandi)

I had to improvise alternatives in the same family as the Bacardi and Calvados but this is very tasty. Kind of like a spiced apple cider of cocktails. I wish I had the Clement silver rum I have yet to open and a Calvados would give it more bite still.

I used green chartreuse in the final ward because I do not have any yellow and the green is 110 proof and the yellow is only 80 proof and this is Head-case after all.

Edit: Shelly is correct, as usual. That is a nice picture of the Carthusian. I hope B&B was as good this time as it was when we went.

Edited by morphsci

Fucking iPhone no pics...

So I lost the receipe.

I fail.

It had Rittenhouse 100 and Fee orange bitters. No maraschino. I think it was yellow chartreuse. There might have been an other ingredient but it wasn't noteworthy........ I'll try an d go back. Funny story though, I totally crashed a Wired mag party and all my drinks were free. More when I'm sober...

I will say this. I had a Rhum Agricole with some All Spice Dram and it was fantastic. It was a punch.

I would recommend the Last Word with the Laphroig instead of gin. Very impressive. I'd call it the "baseball mitt"

Ok. Back to more drinks. I think I'll tey and steal the menu fro the Clock Bar. More later.

I think the yellow is more sweet and mild. I think it might work better in many drinks than the green in fact.

Edited by luvdunhill

Ok. Just remembered, Jim:

2 oz Rittenhouse 100

0.75 oz punt e mrs

0.5 oz green chartreuse

2 dashes Fees orange bitters

The two middle proportions could be swapped...

Excellent. I have all the ingredients, except I will use a different rye (several over the next few days ) and will try with swapped proportions for the Punt e mes and the Green Chartreuse. I owe you for this, it was killing me.

Yeah, the Carthusian seems to be a Greenpoint with green Chartreuse instead of yellow. The bitters component seems to be up for grabs because some Greenpoints have none, some have a dash each of Angostura and orange, and the B&B version has just orange. These are all variations on the wonderful Brooklyn -- and aptly named for neighborhoods therein -- this blog entry is a nice rundown: Exploring the Burrough. Duggeh needs to focus on the Bensonhurst given his Cynar substituting ways, and don't miss the Park Slope in the comments. Good detective work Marc!

Nice post! I'm going to see if I can order a Brooklyn today (ahem notice the ambiguous time of day) and see if they have a house Picon or Torani....

And I am going to join Marc at that ambiguous time of day! If I didn't have meetings with contractors this evening I could try to crash some more parties with him too! :lol:

Here's a couple recipes I found recently that I really want to try out after some recent searching for things carthusian and chinato-esque:

Carthusian Nail

1½ oz Johnnie Walker Scotch Whisky

¾ oz Drambuie

¼ oz Chartreuse Green liqueur

Glass: Old-fashioned

Garnish: Mint sprigs

Method: STIR all ingredients with ice and strain into ice-filled glass.

Comment (from diffordsguide.com): "Sweet and yet bone dry. Drambuie and Chartreuse monastic liqueurs battle to be the most righteous in this Humanist's cocktail."*

*Note: I liked this idea of the struggle for supremacy of monastic liqueurs, but the problem is that Drambuie was made by Scottish clans instead of monks. They both wear some kind of dress or skirt, but that doesn't make them all monks. If Benedictine is substituted, then a true monastic battle can ensue. I'm still intrigued by the rusty nail with Chartreuse idea, so I want to give it a go.

Darkside

* Ice

* 2 1/2 ounces gin, preferably Plymouth brand

* 1 ounce Barolo Chinato

* 3 dashes Peychaud bitters

* Twist of lime peel

* 1 whole star anise (optional)

Directions:

Fill a mixing glass two-thirds full with ice, then add the gin, Barolo Chinato and bitters. Stir vigorously for 30 seconds, then strain into a cocktail (martini) glass. Twist the lime peel over the drink, then drop it in, along with the star anise, if desired.