slower forum

Knuckledragger

Just missing one last picture. He would be my hero if he then put the locked wheel in his trunk and drove off. There's got to be a way to cut that thing off without causing damage to the wheel. Might lose the tire, but not the wheel.

absolutely there is. I've seen it done a few times.

There was a guy in new york that had a gasoline powered ceramics saw that would rip thru one of those things

in about 30 seconds, leaving no damage to the tire or the rim.

absolutely there is. I've seen it done a few times.

There was a guy in new york that had a gasoline powered ceramics saw that would rip thru one of those things

in about 30 seconds, leaving no damage to the tire or the rim.

Why am I not not surprised that you would know that?!?! You're the first person I'll call if I ever get my wheel clamped!

Why am I not not surprised that you would know that?!?! You're the first person I'll call if I ever get my wheel clamped!

Its probably about 2 years ago, but it was on the news. Some person people called a vigilante in new york

was going around and removing the boots on booted cars. Without anyone asking, evidently just for fun.

Did a couple hundred cars. I don't think he was ever caught. But at about $2k per boot, he ended up costing

the city plenty. You can now buy a gasoline powered hand held corrundum bladed saw at home depot for

less than $200.

The thing is that people who don't know try to attack the lock mechanism, which is highly protected.

Cutting the pins with the saw is evidently fast and easy.

Wear eye protection, the sparks that fly are probably kind of nasty.

I don't think that any of those boots would fit on the monster wheels of my corvette. But i don't

park anywhere where i could run into this problem. The last parking ticket i got was at least

25 years ago.

A couple of people that had their cars damaged by attempts to boot them evidently sued

the citys involved and won.

lasers big enough to do this are not portable devices.

I would think a portable oxy cutting torch would do it, but may have other problems.

Edited by kevin gilmore

Its probably about 2 years ago, but it was on the news. Some person people called a vigilante in new york

was going around and removing the boots on booted cars. Without anyone asking, evidently just for fun.

Did a couple hundred cars. I don't think he was ever caught. But at about $2k per boot, he ended up costing

the city plenty. You can now buy a gasoline powered hand held corrundum bladed saw at home depot for

less than $200.

Interesting!

I noticed those same pictures posted on Facebook the other day, and several people in the thread were saying that they were Photoshopped because the boot shown in the pics actually covers the lugnuts.

Edited by Wmcmanus

When they boot the cars, they don't keep any record like licence plate ?

I'd imagine they would if it was the police who booted the car, but at least here in Cayman, boots are sometimes put on at the airport by the security people there, and likewise I've seen them used in private parking lots at commercial buildings. In those instances, I'm pretty sure they don't record anything because they're not giving tickets like the police would do. You just have to find your way to the administrative office on the premises, and once you make your payment, they radio the security guy to come and unlock the boot.