slower forum

Knuckledragger

More from the same builder(s):

760.jpg

761.jpg

763.jpg

Comes complete with its own blown glass grille.

What's this, an 18 liter tank engine? Yes please.

68b.jpg

I see your hot rod, and I'll raise you a... (whatever it is)

100_1312.jpg

more here: http://www.blastolene.com/

and as seen on Leno's Garage: http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/cars/custom-built/blastolenes-pissd-off-pete/index.shtml#item=87280

Edited by catscratch

^ One of my friends who I met along the road when I was passing through New Hampshire in my motorhome is trying to build something like this (based on the last picture above). He had linked me to this exact same builder's website several months ago, and asked: "Out of everything you see, what do you think is the coolest?" When I wrote back, picking out that same vehicle (based on an old pickup truck), he said "Exactly!!!" That's essentially what he wants to build.

So his next step was to buy this massive old fire truck for something like $1,500. I've just emailed him to see if he can resend those pics. It's an old truck but the engine has very low miles, so that's what he's going to use along with the frame from some old (50s) pickup truck. I'll post pics when he resends them to me. He's done some amazing metal fabrication projects (motorcycles and such), so he's got the skill sets to pull it off.

He's become a good email buddy of mine. We met when I had a need for some welding on the back of my trailer as I was passing through the White Mountains region. He and his wife took me in like a family member, and I ended up spending 3 nights parked on their property. He owns a place called "Bumper to Bumper" which I think is aptly described. He can do pretty much anything, mechanically speaking, plus towing (and now putting out fires).

IIRC that thing is an old Peterbilt cab with a 12 cylinder 2-stroke diesel (?!) that powered a stationary crane. There's a full video about it on Jay Leno's site, Jay interviews the creator, talks about what it is, and takes it for a drive. It's spectacularly awesome (and loud).

Would be interesting to see what your friend comes up with.

Edited by catscratch