What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

HCE-finalcover.jpg

I have been playing Steven Wilson's Hand. Cannot. Erase. nonstop for the last 3 weeks. 

The album was inspired by the case of Joyce Carol Vincent: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyce_Vincent

I have concluded that this is the best album he has ever been a part of.  Almost everything he does has some form of deeper meaning, but this really hits home and comes of as especially sincere.  The recent concert only underscores this.  I thought I would never say this, but this takes over Opeth's Damnation as the most beautiful album I have ever heard.  This is the definition of "so depressing it's gorgeous".  So good that I bought the deluxe insane version from ebay.  Absolute masterpiece.  I cannot praise this album enough.

Edited by roadtonowhere08
  • Like 1

HCE-finalcover.jpg

I have been playing Steven Wilson's Hand. Cannot. Erase. nonstop for the last 3 weeks. 

The album was inspired by the case of Joyce Carol Vincent: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyce_Vincent

I have concluded that this is the best album he has ever been a part of.  Almost everything he does has some form of deeper meaning, but this really hits home and comes of as especially sincere.  The recent concert only underscores this.  I thought I would never say this, but this takes over Opeth's Damnation as the most beautiful album I have ever heard.  This is the definition of "so depressing it's gorgeous".  So good that I bought the deluxe insane version from ebay.  Absolute masterpiece.  I cannot praise this album enough.

I'm not sure I have come quite to that same conclusion (needs more time), but honestly, I can't think of anything else (that he was involved with that's better).  It's more of-a-whole than even The Incident.  I didn't realize there were smaller stories within the larger story until I saw the concert (and especially the video for "Routine"), but I still think the transitions (in story matter) are so smooth (and thematically consistent -- I.E. depressing as hell) as to be virtually unnoticeable.  And yet I still find tracks like "Happy Returns" sublimely restorative and transcendent.

And that riff in "Ancestral" just fucking rocks my world.

David Grissom -- bluesy rock'n'roll, pretty straightforward -- any track could be used as a PRS tone exhibition.  Wish the songwriting was a little stronger -- gets a little samey for my tastes.  I'm sure people who appreciated the genre more would appreciate his music more.  It's certainly enjoyable enough to listen to.