Want to upgrade my computer speakers (~$200)

postjack

So I find myself listening to a lot of tunes while browsing the internets, either through streaming radio (archive.org, grooveshark, etc) or foobar, all through my $11 logitech speakers, since I don't always feel like strapping on headphones. I'd like to upgrade my speakers, but not to anything too fancy. I'm looking at a few options:

Audioengine 2's - just run straight from whatever DAC I am using, either using their own volume pot or using the DACs volume if I end up buying an XDA-1.

Paradigm Atom - powered by my Beta22 once it gets all ship shape and up and running. My concern here is if the Beta has the juice to push the Atoms, which specify a minimum of 15 watts.

Other non-powered inexpensive speaker - Mayhaps some highly efficient monitor I don't know about that can be had for the aforementioned ~$200 budget.

These will most likely just sit haphazardly on my desk somewhere, though I'm not ruling out getting stands and placing them to the sides of my desk at some point.

thoughts?

A thumbs-down from this quarter on the AudioEngine 2's. I purely loathe mine. They have exaggerated midbass (in a "look! despite the small size YOU CAN REALLY HEAR THE BASS!" kind of way), to the point where it obscures the music. For kids who think of their tunes as merely a bass delivery mechanism this may be OK, but like the music in my music and the AE2s make me foaming-at-the-mouth hostile. With incredibly aggressive EQ I can make them almost sound reasonable, but I never got them to the point where I actually enjoyed them. If you were in the UK I would ship mine to you for free. As it is they are just taking up space in storage.

I am currently running Swans S3W's which cost me $50 on Amazon and which I like much better - but the only deal I can find on them any more is this eBay auction. They sound better than their price, but they are not competition for really good computer speakers. However they occupy very modest desk real estate, and I've gotten to really like that big, convenient separate volume-control knob.

I really, really loved my Swans M200's, but somehow I lost track of them when I moved overseas. Really lovely, even if a bit large on the desk. The current version starts at $289, so it's a bit above your range, but there is an eBay auction on the original version, with a buy-it-now price of $250 and open to lower offers. You could do a whole lot worse than making an offer on those and waiting to see what happens.

A thumbs-down from this quarter on the AudioEngine 2's. I purely loathe mine. They have exaggerated midbass (in a "look! despite the small size YOU CAN REALLY HEAR THE BASS!" kind of way), to the point where it obscures the music. For kids who think of their tunes as merely a bass delivery mechanism this may be OK, but like the music in my music and the AE2s make me foaming-at-the-mouth hostile. With incredibly aggressive EQ I can make them almost sound reasonable, but I never got them to the point where I actually enjoyed them. If you were in the UK I would ship mine to you for free. As it is they are just taking up space in storage.

Seconding this, the bass is just ridiculous, reminds me of those cheap car stereos people install... they have a nice size and good build quality but that's about it

Seconding this, the bass is just ridiculous, reminds me of those cheap car stereos people install... they have a nice size and good build quality but that's about it

Did you put them on stands? I really like my A2s when you put them up about ear level and nearfield (about 1-2ft away from each ear). Gets rid of the overwhelming bass and improves imaging and everything else

Also, as many other people said, A5s are much better than the A2s so used A5s are probably the one to go for Posty.

I've always wanted to use the Silverline Audio Minuet for a desktop setup but the used value is too high for the most part. If you could find a good deal they could work out well.

I've also thought about the older KEF monitors. I've always wanted to hear them and there are multiple models that I think would work in a desktop configuration.

KEF Model 102 Reference Speakers - eBay (item 260694003704 end time Jan-15-11 10:53:49 PST)

That's not a great deal per se but good deals on KEF items seem to come up pretty frequently.