Radiohead - The King of Limbs

NightWoundsTime

Chances are they'll do a standard CD release later, much like In Rainbows. For that they did a similarly quick announcement/online release schedule, with the $80 discbox as the only physical version announced. A few months later there was a CD release available at normal prices and locations.

Their recent albums have been fairly short -- do they have enough new material to justify a 2-lp release?

EDIT: Okay, I see that they're doing two 10" records -- why? Why not just do one 12" record?

In Rainbows was two 12's at 45RPM, and it was 42 minutes long which is totally acceptable by my "favorite album" standards. Not that I think it was perfect, just that all of my actual favorites are fairly succinct and lack filler. Hail to the Thief was a chunky 56 minutes which nulls and voids your point about short recent albums anyway.

That said, I'm expecting this album to be heavily experimental. Based on the amount of time they've been recording the damn thing and some comments in interviews about how well they all got along this time out... makes me think that they really dug in and found something new to say. Either that or they've all gotten old and can't be bothered to argue for change anymore.

Edited by NightWoundsTime

IMO In Rainbows was too conservative, I hope Matt is right that it is more experimental. Love OK Computer, Kid A and Amnesiac.

I think you'll be happy sir, it's way more experimental than In Rainbows. On my first listen, I like what's I'm hearing, it will definitely need multiple listens to fully enjoy though.

Alright on first listen new album is tits. I got a Kid A/Amnesiac vibe and it sounds so good on the Omega 2 good stuff, going to blast it on the speakers tomorrow

Same here, but truthfully, I'm a bit let down: this sounds like a re-tread. Not that it's "bad" in an absolute sense, but I expected something new, sonically.

Wow. Experimental is right, and very very good. I have nothing intelligent to add at this moment but must say that my fake surround plugin for Foobar did some pretty awesome things to this album. Add to that the Milkdrop visualizations and that was one short strange trip. I'll be repeating it often.

I don't like prematurely judging an album which is why I'm giving it a week, but I'm not seeing what people are talking about with saying it is experimental. Seems like the least experimental album they have made, in fact the subdued nature is almost boring when compared with their previous complex rhythmic-wall-of-sound-while-still-being-atmospheric type electronic jiving.

I don't like prematurely judging an album which is why I'm giving it a week, but I'm not seeing what people are talking about with saying it is experimental. Seems like the least experimental album they have made, in fact the subdued nature is almost boring when compared with their previous complex rhythmic-wall-of-sound-while-still-being-atmospheric type electronic jiving.

OK, what I'm hearing as experimental (by Radiohead standards), is the stripped back but very complex sound. What took them so long in the recording of this album was obviously doing more tinkering than ever with tiny details. This thing was built in samples, an electronic album engineered to sound like a Radiohead remix.