Radiohead - The King of Limbs

NightWoundsTime

I don't like prematurely judging an album which is why I'm giving it a week, but I'm not seeing what people are talking about with saying it is experimental. Seems like the least experimental album they have made, in fact the subdued nature is almost boring when compared with their previous complex rhythmic-wall-of-sound-while-still-being-atmospheric type electronic jiving.

x2 On first listening it's been kind of "deja senti". Very Radiohead, not very original, and can't find the "experimental" vibe here. We'll see what happens on repeated listening <_<

Lol.

Actually when I think about it it took me about a year to get into kid a. About year after purchasing I saw radiohead in Chicago and hearing the songs live made it finally click. Kid a is still my favorite and I think I may prefer in rainbows over king of limbs but I do like the overall groove on king

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok after numerous repeated listenings the one definitive thing I can say for myself is that I truly feel in rainbows is the superior album and much preferred by me for a variety of reasons;)

The songwriting, in the "traditional" sense is much stronger on in rainbows. It is more melodic and feel there is more going on textural wise over king. Lyrics are deeper and more weird Thomas Yorke radiohead ish on in rainbows (weird fishes, case in point, love it when he just screams "WEIRD FIIISSSHESSS!"). I also like that there are actual guitars being played for a good portion of the time. Some of the tracks on king groove like no other and in a way I have never heard radiohead groove before but ultimately I find it a step in a more different direction than what in rainbows was implying. Of course king is better than most of the shite out there and I do enjoy it overall but to my ears in rainbows is a more accomplished album.

• 1 month later...

Haven't gotten my newspaper album yet so I haven't heard this in a while. I did read a really interesting interview on Pitchfork with their artist Stanley Donwood, that makes a lot of sense out of what this album is.

The whole idea of this album was to have something that was almost not existing, so we chose clear vinyl and the newspaper format. [in Rainbows] was this big, heavy, substantial thing-- if you were determined, you could have killed someone with it! It was very much a definitive statement, and that isn't where the band are at the moment. Where they are now is more transitory. When a newspaper comes out, that doesn't mean news stops, what you have is just a snapshot of how things were at the moment that newspaper was printed. And similarly, this album shows where Radiohead are at the moment the record was released. The music is a continuing thing. And we wanted to make the album representative of that.

AKA I think the band is on their way somewhere new. That's what I think I meant when I called this album experimental. The only criticism that I ever had of In Rainbows is that for all its lovely songwriting it was a downer, made me feel like my heroes were getting old and lazy. They're not experimenting with sound in some crazy all inclusive way, they're just trying to find a way to be Radiohead without sounding nostalgic.

Full interview: http://pitchfork.com/news/42377-take-cover-radiohead-ithe-king-of-limbsi/

Edited by NightWoundsTime

• 2 months later...

Little bit of a bump. Hearing the album performed live in a studio format on the palladia special was definitely ear opening. Just like kid a for me, sometimes it takes hearing them live to really appreciate them. There are some crazy rhythmic stuff going on that the live performance really highlighted, great energy and groove.

I keep listening to samples of this new release but however hard I try, I can't see myself enjoying the recording apart from maybe a couple of tunes like Ghost. I guess it's all in the listening all the album all the way through but I still don't feel like spending 15 bucks for this album. I have been a fan of radiohead from the beginning, saw them live around '96 in a small concert hall in Paris (maybe best concert I have ever been to). I also really find in rainbows awesome (just listening to Weird Fishes through the SR009 now, oh my ....... better be careful, I could listen to this at eardrum splitting levels ). I also like kid a / amnesiac era a lot as well. But somehow, this time around, I don't see myself digging this new recording.

Edited by arnaud