The Great Dac search

granodemostasa

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you say that? I've heard that he's strange but....
Aerius touched on it in his post, but Ori is the one who convinced me to build his piece of shit 'minimalist design' 6H30 tube amp over the KG Bamaslama. So when I read about his 'minimalist approach' on the zhaolu output stage I am a *little* skeptical. Thankfully Peter was able to use most of the parts that I had from the 'Ori Amp' and I wasn't out a ton of money.
Now that's going a little far. He's a very nice guy and his output stage does make a good improvement on the original Zhaolu. I definitely like it for under 400$.
You obviously had a smooth time in your transactions with Ori. I absolutely did not. After eating up his bullshit for months he finally washed his hands of me and left me hanging with an amp that not only sounded like shit, but was poorly designed and did not fit my needs one bit. He was incredibly condescending throughout the whole experience and would not explain anything. You have no idea how many times I was told to JUST DO IT. Every time I see that jackass post on head-fi with his bolding, underlining and CAPTILIZATION it is all I can do to just leave him be.

That aside, he regularily pimps his gear through the Head-Fi PM system and I have no idea why he hasn't been shut down yet. He sells two pricey cables with nearly no explination of their merits and his website is a complete joke.

I would probably punch him if I met him in real life... and I'm a pacifist. >:D

A He was incredibly condescending throughout the whole experience and would not explain anything. You have no idea how many times I was told to JUST DO IT.

It's pretty hard for him to explain something he doesn't understand himself :D.

That aside, he regularily pimps his gear through the Head-Fi PM system and I have no idea why he hasn't been shut down yet.

How that clown is not a member of the trade is a mystery to me. He claims that he's asked to be made one, maybe they took a look at his website and decided that he couldn't be serious?

I was at a meet in San Jose well over a year ago, just before all the Zhaolu baloney started, and Ori at one point insisted that I listen to the R10's from "his system." I didn't recognize the components, one of which was a rather hazardous looking, open-chassis tube amp, and the other turned out to be the Zhaolu. All I knew was that this "system" made the R10 sound like complete and total shit: no bass, muddy midrange, and piercingly sharp highs. And yet there he was telling me it was the "best sound he'd ever heard." At this point I think I told him I had to go to the bathroom, and made a beeline away from there! He seems to be a nice enough guy, but he must have the strangest sense of hearing around, based on the stuff he puts out.

How that clown is not a member of the trade is a mystery to me. He claims that he's asked to be made one, maybe they took a look at his website and decided that he couldn't be serious?

I wonder about that as well, right after I bought the RA Opus 21 out of the blue I received a PM from Ori offering me a "deal" on a DIN-to-RCA cable that he just happened to have around. I did report this to the HF mods and I believe since it was only the first time he was reported he was given a warning. So taking that incident and the amp fiasco philodox had with him into consideration it's safe to say he's a complete and utter fucking moron.

one of which was a rather hazardous looking, open-chassis tube amp, and the other turned out to be the Zhaolu. All I knew was that this "system" made the R10 sound like complete and total shit: no bass, muddy midrange, and piercingly sharp highs.
Yeah, that amp would be his prototype of the same piece of shite he had me making. >:(

grano, did you return the VDA-2?

I bought one a couple of months ago along with the VAC-1. Something must be wrong with me, right? I can't tell a difference in sound quality. At one point, I had my Arcam CD73 connected to the VDA-2 via coax and then to my Rockhopper M^3. The M^3 has multiple inputs so I also connected the CD73 directly to the amp. Using input switch on the amp, I A/Bed the two inputs and I had a hard time distinguishing the two. ???

I'll try again this week or next but so far, I'm really disappointed. I expected a very noticeable sound improvement. I guess the DAC in the CD73 is that good? I dunno. Like I said, I'll try again and see what's going on.

grano, did you return the VDA-2?

I bought one a couple of months ago along with the VAC-1. Something must be wrong with me, right? I can't tell a difference in sound quality. At one point, I had my Arcam CD73 connected to the VDA-2 via coax and then to my Rockhopper M^3. The M^3 has multiple inputs so I also connected the CD73 directly to the amp. Using input switch on the amp, I A/Bed the two inputs and I had a hard time distinguishing the two. ???

I'll try again this week or next but so far, I'm really disappointed. I expected a very noticeable sound improvement. I guess the DAC in the CD73 is that good? I dunno. Like I said, I'll try again and see what's going on.

um.. i've never meet two sources that sounded identical... but transparency might be an issue... I remember that once I had to use a qualia to get the differences between the VDA-2 and the Monarchy down.... other comparisons are not so close.