CanJam 2011 is RMAF (Denver CO 10/14-16)

Asr

And just for Brent, our appetizer biscuits:

a6cd8d6f-6208-ec4c.jpg

Love you too, Al! (You rat bastard.)

Would've loved to have been there with you kids. Digging the pix, guys. Keep 'em comin'... and will someone, for the love of Satan, please get JP a Papa John's pizza with the works. I'll cover it if you get a pic or video of the delivery. ;)

**BRENT**

I switched to an earlier flight--sorry I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to the gang. It was a great weekend. Nums did a great job. I thought the meet space and layout both worked very well. Plenty of room to hang out, but also stayed quiet enough for decent listening. More importantly, it was awesome to see at least part of the gang again.

But, Jesus, this fresh mountain air is killing me. Looking forward to swampass sea level.

Sitting at the airport with Dinny trying to find him some canned NYC air to breathe.

My favorite speakers were the Acapella Horns, Vandersteen 7, YG Anat References and the big Vivid Audio Vagina speakers.

The wall mounted Unicorn Semen Cups ($3800) used at the the Vivid room must have been working as the speakers sounded great.

I want to buy everything on Todd's table and I really liked the LCD-3s.

At the airport waiting for a plane home. The inevitable let-down is sinking in as I try to get some work done for an 8am call in the real world tomorrow. oh well, it was still great to hang with the crew that made it here, even with red vodka and blackouts.

Impressions of gear will have to come later, but I wanted to acknowledge the amazing job JP did to put on a world class showcase of headphone audio. The room was packed with a record number of MOTs and the setup was very conducive to sampling all the offerings as Dinny said. Thanks for all the hard work. It seemed like a fairly high percentage of the RMAF attendees passed through the room. Perhaps this is the year we really do cross over from the fringe to the mainstream Tyll suggested out on IF. I will be really interested to see the media coverage.

I also wanted to thank Jeff and Tyler for picking up the driving duties and Tyler again for taking us to Biker Jim's. As ironbut Steve said today, the sausage hunt has become an integral part of these events, which are largely sausage fests, especially when Vicki and Shelly are absent. Speaking of which, many and more of you were sorely missed and it would have been great if more of the Travel Team had made it. This really is NOT a CanJam, however, and will never have that same feel. I'm curious if the large-scale member-driven version will ever happen again. I think i prefer our smaller get-togethers anyway at this point, but I feel sorry for the rest of them. ;)

I listened to the PS500, and can confirm they do sound a little different than the HF2. Their build quality is at an all time low - some sort of cheap allow or something? I don't know what the metal is, but it feels very, very cheap. It does sound okay though. Here some pics:

Crappy PS500:

hc16.jpg

**Notice how stupid the lettering looks?

Typical crappy build quality from Grado:

hc17.jpg

The Woo Monoblock was fun:

hc3.jpg

hc8.jpg

This socket thingy is used to roll different tubes in the Monoblock:

hc11.jpg

**Notice that under his hand is a box full of different socket thingys that can be used for different tubes, i.e., tube rolling nirvana.

Woo has giant, man-sized tubes . . . some of which appear to be black:

hc13.jpg

Some are smaller, and not black:

hc10.jpg

Woo's CDP and DAC:

hc9.jpg

Lots of inputz:

hc14.jpg

I really liked this amp from Woo, but, it was like $10K(?). The Senn HD800 sounded fantastic in this system.

Audeze has a giant speaker that sounds like a lot of other speakers. The guy in the Audeze room was seriously helpful, and very smart. He must have spent 30 minutes talking to me and answering all my questions. I bet they have great customer service:

hc2.jpg

They also have new headphones that do not sound as good as their previous headphones:

hc5.jpg

What is this jackass smiling for?

hc6_headshot.jpg

The Super7 is promising - I wish Doug had his ECC amps at CanJam - they would have made a lot of new fans:

hc4.jpg

This amp has bright colors:

hc7.jpg

hc18.jpg

This R2R at the bottlehead booth sounded fun (I bet Jeff liked it); I was suprised to like much of what they had:

hc20.jpg

This was not as bad as I expected it would be - the amp designer was really cool:

hc19.jpg

And I made a new friend:

hc15.jpg

Edited by CherryBomb

Just got back from the airport and boy am I beat. Thanks to all that attended I had a great time.

Lots of really good stuff and some really bad stuff as well.

Bigest suprise for me was the YG speakers, I hated them last year and they went 0 for 3 in 2010 this year they went 2 for 2 in the two rooms that I heard them in. Not the "greatest speaker on earth" but very good.

Just got home too.

Man, I enjoyed the hell out of that weekend! It was fantastic to see all you guys again.

I haven't laughed that much in a long time!

Much thanks to Jeff for driving us around in his Pimpwagon. And just as many to Tyler for acting as our tour guide.

"Real" life will be tough to take after that and that's always a good sign!

I ended up helping my Bottlehead pals Dan (Doc) and Eileen packing up and they seemed real happy with the way the show went for them. I really love those guys and it sounds like they might make the show a regular event.

I heard several vendors say what a great "spirit" the CanJam room had and I think that jp# has a lot to do with that.

You da Man jp!

Heck, even Jude said to let John know what a great job he did !

another nod to JP, you could see much work went into getting this to run smoothly and have such a vendor presence.

My only negative about the show is that many of the loudspeaker rooms were really loud and "shouty" , the fact that I still have ringing in my ears is testament to that. Probably the reason I liked the Audeze speakers as they were very neutral to my ears.

..dB

My only negative about the show is that many of the loudspeaker rooms were really loud and "shouty" , the fact that I still have ringing in my ears is testament to that.

..dB

^This. Why do they do that? As a speaker newb, I was really put off by a lot of the speaker presentations. Too loud, too brittle, and lousy music. Of course, some were great, but I guess my taste for warmth and some bass exposes me for the speaker rube that I am.

JP put on an excellent event within an excellent event. He wore himself out making all of this happen and I have to say the end results were worth all his sacrifices. evil.gif

Had a great time hanging out with everyone, would have been better if some of the noticeable absentees had been present but I think we did the best we could to represent the HC Travel Team. I saw 4 different HC Travel Team bags in attendance.

I have not laughed this hard in a long time, I think Al and I were trying to kill each other and several times beer or hot dogs almost shot out of our noses and we were laughing so hard.

I wished I had filmed Dinny's "Tom Waits hits hard times and starts doing supermarket shopper announcements". You had to be there

^This. Why do they do that? As a speaker newb, I was really put off by a lot of the speaker presentations. Too loud, too brittle, and lousy music. Of course, some were great, but I guess my taste for warmth and some bass exposes me for the speaker rube that I am.

IMO a lot of it is the lack of room treatments. It causes some real nasty effects in some of those rooms.

But the bad music is inexcusable.

Some of the rooms were clearly not optimal but I suspect that some of it comes down to taste and music being played. Jeff mentioned the Acapella - the brass section sounded like they were a foot from my ears , it was very uncomfortable. I loved the plasma drivers though, mesmerizing. I was also reminded how much snake oil was involved in the real hifi world and a reminder that you didn't have to mortgage your house for a stereo system, some of the really good sounding gear was affordable. One of my "now that's convenient" products was Naim's all in one amp/music router - essentially an integrated 80wpc amp with several digital inputs, a dac , UPnP and USB , sounded good too..dB

Edited by dBel84