Joe Grado website

recstar24

Well, as with any large purchase, you really need to hear it first, but yes, it's worth adding to the list of things to hear. I remember hearing Juan's only briefly, but the two words I came away with was warm but clear. Alright, that's three words.

And yeah, understood -- that's a lot of money into that DAC if you aren't going to use it. But it is standard not to use it amongst the people that I've known to have heard it.

Yup. Well, I guess it'd be better than my current DacMagic, but in any case I'd prefer to upgrade my DAC later. I'm inclined towards the DSHA-1 since that would maximize my HP2s performance, which is my main headphone at the moment.

Just remembered the SPL Phonitor though... I quite like crossfeed.

I like my DHSA-1 a lot w/ my HP-1s. This reminds me that I still haven't gotten around to listening to the LCD-2 with the DSHA-1 yet! I definitely need to do that!

The Arete/Volcano was very clean, but a little sterile for my taste. I still have it in a box if someone wants to buy it! :)

Edited by jvlgato

Good choice. Reminds me I gotta get my SHA-1 fixed.

Thanks, Rob. A friend of mine (the one who sold me the Eartube, actually) just got an upgraded SHA-1 for like 350 bucks on eBay. Can't believe I missed this!

I like my DHSA-1 a lot w/ my HP-1s. This reminds me that I still haven't gotten around to listening to the LCD-2 with the DSHA-1 yet! I definitely need to do that!

The Arete/Volcano was very clean, but a little sterile for my taste. I still have it in a box if someone wants to buy it! smile.png

Really? The opposite of what I'd expect from a tube amp! But then again, the Little Dot MKVI sounded more like a SS amp than the Burson HA-160D.

• 1 month later...

Despite originally intending to get a DHSA-1, I managed to trade my Eartube for that friend's upgraded SHA-1 (the Meier was originally his), because it was a great opportunity as well as a cheaper option of something that theoretically has great sinergy with the HP1s. But I gotta say, I'm very disappointed. I get the pairing, it makes the Grado a lot mellower, but it takes away that raw character that I love about those Grados. Makes the lows a lot fuller but also less defined. I much prefer the result with my old JVC A-S5 integrated... sad.png

I concur. I've always thought the Grado Melos thing was way overhyped. However it sounds like something is wrong with your Melos. Mellow was never my impression, it was always more on the side of way too hot, way too much gain, and just really a raw, unrefined sound. I think that's why people liked it, because it was basically loud and gritty and the whole Grado rock thing made sense.

Yeah, me too. Sorry, but I owned one for a while, and was underwhelmed. Just seemed flat and uninteresting at low volume, and I didn't like turning up the volume. Didn't think much about why, but Ryan's experience makes sense as an explanation.

I'd guess at the time, since it was early in the evolution of headphone amps, it might have been a new and exciting thing. But much has been learned over time, and there are just a lot better options now.

Frustrating, but also a good learning experience.

Well, it was definitely a learning experience as I learned a bit more about what I don't like – which is always a good thing, but I hope I can sell it at little to no loss...

I really do feel, as you all said, that it's really overhyped... but well, the deed is done.

recstar, that's a possibility, but the first owner had it upgraded, checked and everything. He may have messed it up, though. It is definitely unrefined, but I think because it adds too much bass, with no definition. The mids lack definition as well. Simply not a pleasant experience. Guess I'm really going for a wire-with-gain thing, à la GS-1. If I can find one, that is.