How to get music from iphone to car

crappyjones123

I have a few long road trips coming up and while I enjoy listening to the radio I don't particularly care for the idea of having to find new channels every few hours. Cd player in the car only takes 1 cd and I don't have an Aux input.

I have an iphone 4 and my road trip companion has an ipod touch (not sure which generation) that i would like to use to play music on but hear it through the car speakers. Never really looked much into it but I don't imagine using it much outside of road trips so don't want to spend enormous amounts of money on it. Road trip is on the 24th so would need to have in house by the 23rd preferably. +1 for Amazon prime.

Any suggestions for $50 or so? Obviously if a $5 thingy does the job then I would like to save the money for other things. Dont care for the technology use - bluetooth vs fm vs whatever else is out there. Something that charges the phone at the same time would be a cherry on top but not a necessity - I can do without the charger if a plane old transmitter is cheaper.

Just tried the adapter. The moment it goes in the deck it makes a constant clicking noise. I tried an old cassette I had and it makes the same noise but only on one side. Tried the adapter in moms car and it makes the same clicking noise but not as loud. I turned off the Dolby feature as instructed.

Adapter bad? Deck bad? Send adapter bad?

There are tutorials on taking a certain part out of the adapter but there are no screws. The thing is glued shut. Prying it apart will probably break it.

Suggestions or thoughts are welcome.

Of all the FM transmitters I've tried, the Belkin and Griffin don't seem to be strong enough in my cars with hidden antennae. The Monster ones are the only ones that consistently have the power to get through, but their digital displays fade with age until you can't hardly read what channel it's transmitting on when the sun is shinning.

But you can set the presets to three different stations, so as you move out of range of one station you can try the next preset without needing to read the display (we have one channel we use in Denver and another for Colorado Springs, with a spare preset we haven't needed).

If your car stereo happens to have a cassette deck, these things are pretty damn convenient:

cassette-adapter-small.jpg

I just picked up one of these on Saturday at an estate sale for $1.50

Works great w/ my iPhone 4 other than a slight hiss which doesn't really bother me for what I mainly use it for (audiobooks).

I had tried a couple of FM transmitters but they were terrible (the one I have for my Zune works really well so I use that for music).

Edited by MoonShine

Adding on to what others have said, cassette adapters work great if you can get them to work with your car. Sometimes hitting the flip side button works to get the clicking to stop.

As far as FM transmitters, I have tried over 20 of them and finally landed on one that I have used since 2008 with great success. It is the iRiver AFT 100. Works great. You can find them on eBay for BIN for $15-$25 now and again. Not sure if you can source locally but these units do work more consistently and with better sound quality.

Try returning and replacing the adapter. It should not click, but I think I might have experienced that on occasion. I think it means the tape heads are not engaging fully or something.

i misunderstood your advice. thought you meant try another sony unit thinking you meant that you had one that worked and i might have just gotten a bum unit.

anyhow...

Edited by crappyjones123