Emotiva Pro Airmotiv powered speakers

shellylh

Well I finally went up to Champaign to pick up the Airmotiv 5 speakers from FedEx. I have them hooked up suboptimally through the SE loop outs of the GSX (until I can get long enough XLR cables) and they still sound great. This is a really clear and clean sounding near field system. Really glad I did not get the 6s since they would have been pretty imposing on my desk and the 5s are plenty at this distance. They are hooked up in my office system at work.

Mac mini ---optical--> Emotiva xda-1 ---XLR--> HeadAmp GSX ---RCA--> Airmotiv 5

• Like 1

I am not using the 6's as my speaker rig and I am pleasantly surprised at how good they sound with the XDA-2.  I've had better speaker systems but they cost multiples of this rig.  My listening time is no where near what it used to be so this inexpensive system suits me just fine.

Mac mini --- USB --> Emotiva xda-2 --- XLR --> Airmotiv 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That's a good lookin' rig Jim, especially those K340s. :)

I love the K340s. Got them from a pretty nice guy too.

needs moar hard drives!

The Mac Pro has 4 2Tb drives so it should be OK for a couple of more months.

So only the left channel overheats?

No. That would be the fat music recipient that overheats.

• 4 months later...

So after listening to these for a few months with proper XLR cables and a whole variety of music these are much better than the Audioengine 5s. The bass is much better and it has IMO a much more coherent presentation. This is all nearfield listening. These will be staying for a good long while.

• 1 month later...

http://www.qmsaudio.com/products.asp

Seems like Emotiva Airmotiv and Stealth just got their patent/copy right infringed by a Chinese firm... The Q line is the copy of Airmotiv and the MH line is the copy of Stealth...

They didn't even bother change the look one bit for the Airmotiv... as for the Stealth.. it is probably too difficult to copy so they just made it flat which looks butt ugly.

People are praising these copies like crazy in China.... I wonder why Emotiva would let these people do this...

EDIT: As difficult as it is to admit.... their Q line goes all the way back to the beginning of 2010 and MH line back to the mid 2009... where as I can find no information on Airmotiv or Stealth before 2011....

Edited by jwzhan

http://www.qmsaudio.com/products.asp

Seems like Emotiva Airmotiv and Stealth just got their patent/copy right infringed by a Chinese firm... The Q line is the copy of Airmotiv and the MH line is the copy of Stealth...

They didn't even bother change the look one bit for the Airmotiv... as for the Stealth.. it is probably too difficult to copy so they just made it flat which looks butt ugly.

People are praising these copies like crazy in China.... I wonder why Emotiva would let these people do this...

EDIT: As difficult as it is to admit.... their Q line goes all the way back to the beginning of 2010 and MH line back to the mid 2009... where as I can find no information on Airmotiv or Stealth before 2011....

You sure you didn't just find Emotiva's OEM source for speakers?

I don't know exactly where they get them, but they've always gotten them from China. Supposedly, the Emotivas are just tighter spec'd.

You sure you didn't just find Emotiva's OEM source for speakers?

I don't know exactly where they get them, but they've always gotten them from China. Supposedly, the Emotivas are just tighter spec'd.

Well.. I would have thought the same if they didn't claim that they designed the speakers...

Or maybe Emotiva didn't design these speakers; instead, Emotiva just got them rebranded?

Also worth to note that the retail price in USD of these speakers in China is almost the same as the price that Emotiva is asking for theirs....

• 5 months later...