Now for something different...

spritzer

So what do people think of this

http://gilmore.chem....rn.edu/bate.pdf

Looks interesting.

Why not substitute dirt cheap Russian 6N1P-EV for the 12AX7 in the first two stages? More linear, and if you used CCS plate loads probably wouldn't loose that much gain. Probably require less feedback as well.

Any reason for not connecting the "tail" of the LTP to the neg. HV rail?

Use Russian k40 PIO coupling caps, and if you used 6P14P output tubes you'd have an amp built mostly of Soviet era military surplus. Ton of this stuff around. You could call it the T-34 (a cheap, simple, but very effective WW2 tank).

layout updated to support 12ax7,6dj8,6n1p ...

http://gilmore.chem....rn.edu/bate.jpg

yeah i know working on a low-res screen is a bitch.

will update with higher resolution later.

Could add current sources everywhere. Including the output tubes. That is

going to increase the size and require heatsinks.

As far as the resistor to the negative rail, Lots of people do that, but i see no

reason to, and besides unless you are going to use a delay relay to turn

on the high voltage, you would end up with 800 volts across a cold 12ax7.

Which can't be a good thing.

This is great sounding, about as simple as possible, and something anyone

could build and get to work.

Birgir can voice the thing by picking the capacitors, or anyone else can

add comments. The only ones that need to be >800v are the ones

between the 2nd and 3rd stages. Picture will be updated soon.

Edited by kevin gilmore

800V across a cold ECC83 would certainly not be a good idea. kitty.jpg I for one see no reason not to use ECC83's in this amp and please stick with the new JJ's as they are simply better than anything else out there, new or nos.

For caps the layout will fit Wima MKP10's but given their rather large size, most other standard polyprop caps should fit. The double wound Mundorfs will probably not but most other boutique caps should also fit.

We could go with a full CCS madness for this but the whole point of this amp is something simple that truly anybody can build.

We could go with a full CCS madness for this but the whole point of this amp is something simple that truly anybody can build.

Would a CCS on just the first and second stages be possible? I can't imagine that they are running a lot of current, so shouldn't need huge heatsinks or board space......

I like it a lot. If you built it pt/pt , it's a weekend "junk-box" project within easy reach of a 2nd semester electronics student.

Looks like you're going to have about 50W of heat coming off this board. Enclosure will be an issue, especially if you're trying to make it small.

I assume some sort of simple but regulated power supply? More heat?

I still like the CCS plate loads, at least on the first two stages. The IXYS devices are small, cheap. and easy to use, On the first two stages you wouldn't even need heat sinks.

When I see how prolific you guys are, I am just wondering if the amp makers like Stax are doing anywhere near the same amount of R&D? For one, it seems like there's a large collective brainstorming going on constantly in such threads. Can't someone just bring these solutions to the masses (e.g. non E.E. / soldering beware people like me) for a profit or this just spoils the fun?

Edited by arnaud

Measured power on the amp channel is 15 watts, so the 2 amp channels are 30 watts.

i'm going to do a smaller simple regulation power supply board to go with it, basically

an updated version of the original BH board with ixys as the current sources for the

zeners.

No one is really seriously going to build a 4 x pa89 thing. I've used them a lot in the

past, and any mistake, and they blow up real easy. While an ultra simple design

this would be a bad idea, and perform like ray's darkstar. No one really wants

that.

Measured power on the amp channel is 15 watts, so the 2 amp channels are 30 watts.

i'm going to do a smaller simple regulation power supply board to go with it, basically

an updated version of the original BH board with ixys as the current sources for the

zeners.

I'm throwing money at the screen, but nothing is happening embarrassed.gif

The PA89 is more a joke but it certainly would work. File it with my tiny transformers and other such novelties.

When I see how prolific you guys are, I am just wondering if the amp makers like Stax are doing anywhere near the same amount of R&D? For one, it seems like there's a large collective brainstorming going on constantly in such threads. Can't someone just bring these solutions to the masses (e.g. non E.E. / soldering beware people like me) for a profit or this just spoils the fun?

Doing anything for money spoils it IMO but with Stax you have a limited number of employees who are probably not building amps in their spare time. In the late 60's Hayashi-san was very prolific and published numerous designs, some very much of team overkill. Then they diversified into other markets but I have no doubt that there are some truly inspired designs lurking in some backroom. Producing those might be problematic at best though...

We on the other hand aren't bound by such concerns and can come up with truly crazy stuff using rare parts at will. Amps like the Bate aim to bring this to the masses but without somebody selling the PCB's and other necessary parts it is always a bit out of reach.

power supply done, suitable for BATE and LL

7.8 x 6.12 inches, probably as small as i can get it.

http://gilmore.chem....u/batepower.jpg

This power supply also works if you are retrofitting

an ESX, or want to build a point to point ESX.

Finally finished the preamp board, tested all

the audio stuff, and it measures below the noise

level of my equipment. Will listen to it later, but

that one seems now done too. :D

Edited by kevin gilmore

It should certainly fit in neilvg's unit biggrin.png

Its about time he got that thing fixed, he paid enough for it.

All the ESX things have completely unregulated power supplies

and no bias supply for the output tubes plus the electrostatic

bias is the wrong voltage.

You could always mount the power supply on the top of the box...

The heatsinks are grounded. :D

The square pads were that way on the kgsshv power supply, and this is just

a cut and paste from it. Only took me about 1.5 hours to do this one.

I can make the other ones square... wait a minute or two.

I'm doubling up on the unreg and reg load resistors to cut the power and decrease

the voltage across them to keep them within spec.

The pappy van-winkle and the cuban are certainly helping.

biggrin.png

minute is over

Edited by kevin gilmore

OK, now you are getting picky.

Seriously, i want this one perfect before we make boards, and the more

eyes (i.e group think) the better. Birgir is the "thought leader"

on the project.

I did make one mistake on the preamp board... sad.png

But it works anyway And it works mighty well too.

At least prototype runs are cheap these days.

schematic

http://gilmore.chem....u/batepower.pdf

(yep more cut and paste)

There are some 680uf/500V caps in stock at mouser, a little extra headroom always a good idea.

not cheap though.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kemet/ALC10A681DL500/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMukHu%252bjC5l7YSuaTY1g5Qh1YkGGiaJm46w%3d

Edited by kevin gilmore