Neutrality: An Audiophile's Utopia

Leonardo Drummond

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tl0d4.gif

Edit: I thought about it more deeply. Just realized that I am obsessed in neutrality in a way, so I am not qualified to post this image. facepalm.png Ideally I should be just listening away, but then I wouldn't be building amplifiers and modifying headphones. I'd like to think I'm close to the end of my journey though.

This has to be one of the funniest memes out there.

Still, I really think there's a point in looking for neutral especially if you're building stuff. The whole point to me is that it's not good when it becomes an obsession. People end up craving so bad for something that doesn't really exist and then end up limiting what they hear.

Seems like Tyll and Steve has kicked the hornets nest on this subject.

In any case Wmcmanus nailed it- whatever makes us happy is good. I'm not a recording engineer- I'm here for the music. Sure, music is sound and the average level of sound reproduction has gone down, however I'd rather blame it on us being primarily a visual society.

And the fact that listening has gone out of style doesn't help much either.

True... a friend of mine wanted to build a new home theater, with one of those new Samsung LED TVs. I told them they should get a plasma instead, which is better, larger and much cheaper, and a nice sounding set of speakers. They didn't listen and ended up getting the LED one and only had money left for those crappy Onkyo HT-in-a-box. They spent 7K on a TV and 1K in a HT, when they could've spent 5K on a better TV and 3K in a HT. It's really sad to see how audio got forgotten.

Neutral is a short term goal for n00bs. Good to try for at first, mainly because there's so much shit out there.

Once you get a basic read on neutral, then you've got to play the music for yourself and find what makes you happy.

I looked for it for a long time, but nowadays I don't really see the point - especially after getting the HD800s, which I'm not really liking. I'd much rather listen to my old SR-007 with the eXStatA... warm, lush, much less "neutral" but just purely seductive.

IMHO it's all about knowledge. Once you know how a "flatish" measurement sounds like, and also you learn how your own taste works, you just need to find what suits you. With some luck in the way you meet people who "feels" sound in a similar way, so you can take their judgments as though they were your own, which is good before spending dough on new equipment. This is one of the many reasons why I love HC this much grin.gif

Very well put! I still quite like neutral-ish sounding cans, especially the pro-oriented cans, but in the end of the day, euphonic mushiness is the way to go for me.

Edited by Leonardo Drummond

Yah, this probably isn't the place to whine that people don't listen. Except when it comes to welcome messages.

Well, HC is hardly an exact mirror of society. And for the welcome message provide a link for an audio version which leads to... "You suffer" by Napalm Death.

I'd argue that head-case IS a better reflection of real society than other web forums. We expect people to behave as if they were actually around the people they're talking to. And hold them to what they say.

Behavior wise- sure, this is one of the more "human" forums and for that I admire this place. However, I really don't know about the demographic- most of us are guys over 20 with an obsession about high quality living. There is an odd Mac'n'Cheese in the food thread but mostly it's really good quality stuff made by people who value that kind of thing. I'll make another wild generalization and say that most us value our time.

Hence the need of brevity in posts.

A society may contain someone other than friends. I'd say that that it's the respect that counts and one may respect someone even without liking them. But enough about that- I'll make sure that I stop by some of you when I get to the states. May be some time though, hehe...

And yeah- time to find something to eat and drink. I've had nothing but cheesecake for lunch.

Hence the need of brevity in posts.

Which I'm yet to learn.

Better read with more cachaca. beer.gif

LOL, nice! If you know cachaça, you probably know caipirinha as well, I suppose... I don't like them, but they sure look pretty.

Leonardo Drummond if you want to play... Steve Hoffman forums are the place for you....

http://www.stevehoff...ad.php?t=232731

http://www.stevehoff...ad.php?t=282652

Cheers,

Mikey

That looks interesting, thanks Mikey! I have to admit, I do enjoy a debate... and judging by what I'm reading there, it sure looks like a place to have a good one! cool.png

I'm pretty sure they do. At least it isn't that hard to... ratiocinate what is meant by that.

I call my Uni "Alma Mater" and "Magna Mater" as well. But tbh the quality of education has gone way down, sometimes I wish they'd liquidate the faculty of philosophy altogether. It has no use whatsoever as it is now.

I'd argue that head-case IS a better reflection of real society than other web forums. We expect people to behave as if they were actually around the people they're talking to. And hold them to what they say.

Head-Case is the best forum on the interwebs