Neutrality: An Audiophile's Utopia

Leonardo Drummond

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which just proves that you need all kinds. I'm not really down with the 'academics hate' thing, I guess because my academic background has served me well and has likewise helped me to make a real difference in the lives of many of my students over the years. As with just about any form of learning or growing, formal education (academia) has its place in society. It's not for everyone, but fuck anyone who thinks it serves no real purpose because he/she/it (<-- the hermaphrodite straw man) would be wrong.

I totally agree, even though I get the criticisms. I think academies are mostly necessary, but one area in which I think they fail dramatically is in teaching people beyond the obvious in the courses. If I had to choose the one reason why the world is as fucked up as it is now, I'd say that it's because people just don't question things. It seems they just suck up information (or not) and don't stop for one minute to think about everything around it. And that is the sort of thing that should be as stressed as possible in universities, through philosophy and theory of knowledge lessons at least, regardless of what the person is studying specifically.

But then again, when they do offer courses like these, most people simply couldn't care less...

My 2c, anyways.

"You've got the big mouth part covered... "

I only open my mouth to change feet.

The only academics I have a gripe with are those who are educated beyond their intelligence, and hence won't listen to anyone who steps on their pet paradigm.

"You've got the big mouth part covered... "

I only open my mouth to change feet.

The only academics I have a gripe with are those who are educated beyond their intelligence, and hence won't listen to anyone who steps on their pet paradigm.

Sounds more like an audiophile than an academic.

• Like 2