Neutrality: An Audiophile's Utopia

Leonardo Drummond

I ratiocinate all the time and it leads me to the solid conclusion that it is not a ubiquitous practice, and if done improperly leads to the obfuscation of the subject of ratiocinated.

All academia should be lined up against the wall and shot with reality pills.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a more serious note- in addition to my academic pursuits I have also worked since age 15. Not that I had to but getting extra buck was always welcome. So I'll make the leap and say that I've seen what it's like on both sides of the trenches. And I'm not talking about white glove office work- for 5 years I worked as a construction laborer with all sorts of people- ex cons, druggies, Polish immigrants and other unlucky souls who just couldn't jump higher.

If there's one thing the rugged clinteastwoodish [real] reality sailors lack- it's innovation and the ability to deal with nonstandard situations. Sure the star-eyed cloud-dwellers try to reinvent the wheel whenever they can but it's the job of good leaders to direct that innovation where it's most needed. Nothing can replace a good academic foundation, experience helps- but only if you know how and when to use it.

Edited by RudeWolf

On a more serious note- in addition to my academic pursuits I have also worked since age 15. Not that I had to but getting extra buck was always welcome. So I'll make the leap and say that I've seen what it's like on both sides of the trenches. And I'm not talking about white glove office work- for 5 years I worked as a construction laborer with all sorts of people- ex cons, druggies, Polish immigrants and other unlucky souls who just couldn't jump higher.

If there's one thing the rugged clinteastwoodish [real] reality sailors lack- it's innovation and the ability to deal with nonstandard situations. Sure the star-eyed cloud-dwellers try to reinvent the wheel whenever they can but it's the job of good leaders to direct that innovation where it's most needed. Nothing can replace a good academic foundation, experience helps- but only if you know how and when to use it.

I wish I knew so much... and fear that I once did.

"....not dealing with a full deck. "

Oh, dear.

BTW it was not a personal barb at your august self.

I was being too terse and concise.

Most people don't deal with the full deck because they take out one or two of the jokers supplied.

"You may want to take a long, hard look in the mirror."

I do, and all I see is a balding old fogey.

My invective is against the academics who are totally impractical.

Reminds me of an episode of the TV series Hitchhikers' Guide To The Galaxy where they put all the academics in one ship and sent them in a different direction to the rest of the fleet.

When the academics landed on a habitable planet and realised they were cut off from the others they died out because every time they had to make a decision they had to hold a meeting to discuss what had to be done.

You know the type.

I remember that Hitchhiker's story as the academics and menial workers (or the useful two-thirds) staying on the planet but they sent the useless third (telephone sanitizers, management consultants, marketing executives etc) to another planet ostensibly because of a giant mutant star goat, but in reality to rid themselves of their fifth wheel. The irony was that all the intellectuals and worker types were later wiped out through a plague caused by dirty telephones.

I remember that Hitchhiker's story as the academics and menial workers (or the useful two-thirds) staying on the planet but they sent the useless third (telephone sanitizers, management consultants, marketing executives etc) to another planet ostensibly because of a giant mutant star goat, but in reality to rid themselves of their fifth wheel. The irony was that all the intellectuals and worker types were later wiped out through a plague caused by dirty telephones.

Which just proves that you need all kinds. I'm not really down with the 'academics hate' thing, I guess because my academic background has served me well and has likewise helped me to make a real difference in the lives of many of my students over the years. As with just about any form of learning or growing, formal education (academia) has its place in society. It's not for everyone, but fuck anyone who thinks it serves no real purpose because he/she/it (<-- the hermaphrodite straw man) would be wrong.

I wasn't insulting him, it WAS a good word. I appreciate words. And yes, academia is a word in english too.

I made up a new word yesterday:

Sandlanche.

When a bunch of your sandwich innards fall out when you take a bite, usually from being stacken on too heavily.