DIY cable gallery

Grand Enigma

The Neotech wire is quite nice. Looks good Nate. The Apex wire I had made is a close cousin to the Neotech stuff. Sadly I found out today that it wont fit the Cardas plugs without me modifying the opening to make them a bit larger ;)

Thanks, and bummer about having to mod the Cardas plugs. Nothing like adding a step to the build process, as if there isn't enough already!

Now the cables will use custom Cardas connectors... I think that warrants a premium price... they certainly aren't stock anymore :)
Given the effort to build these cables (I think I average around 2-1/2 to 3hrs for a cable like this) I'd say they already justify a premium price. To my ears the UPOCC is as good a Senn cable as I've heard and better than others that cost more. The freakin' Zu V2 runs ~$400 for a 3M cable. :eek:

Given the effort to build these cables (I think I average around 2-1/2 to 3hrs for a cable like this) I'd say they already justify a premium price. To my ears the UPOCC is as good a Senn cable as I've heard and better than others that cost more. The freakin' Zu V2 runs ~$400 for a 3M cable. :eek:

I've actually hacked apart a Zu cable, and the interesting thing about it is that it uses a very complex cable geometry. I messed around with it, and then recovered it and reterminated both ends. I expected the microphonics to reduce, but actually they didn't. I'm attributing this to the tight cable winding. Anyways, I'm under the impression that the only thing I'd pay extra for over and beyond UPOCC or silver these days is the more complex cable geometries.

Nate, where did you purchase the UPOCC? Take5?

I've actually hacked apart a Zu cable, and the interesting thing about it is that it uses a very complex cable geometry.

Yeah, I've done the same - I reterm'd my Zu to use a 4-pin XLR. What I found somewhat odd was that most of the geometry was for wires that were only connected to ground and some only at the 1/4" plug end. Seemed like a lot of effort and wire in name of what only appeared to be shielding. A standard 4-wire braid seems to work fine for me and I haven't found a need for shielding of a headphone cable yet.

And Jay, I get all of my UPOCC wire from Sonic Craft (Sonic Craft High-End DIY Audio Parts). Since I usually order 100' or more I get a bulk discount from them and since I've spent several thousand dollars with them over the last year I get a discount on connectors as well. Let me know if you need something. I've had less than stellar results ordering from Canada in general lately so Take5 has become a less appealing option although their service has always been good.

Yeah, I've done the same - I reterm'd my Zu to use a 4-pin XLR. What I found somewhat odd was that most of the geometry was for wires that were only connected to ground and some only at the 1/4" plug end. Seemed like a lot of effort and wire in name of what only appeared to be shielding. A standard 4-wire braid seems to work fine for me and I haven't found a need for shielding of a headphone cable yet.

And Jay, I get all of my UPOCC wire from Sonic Craft (Sonic Craft High-End DIY Audio Parts). Since I usually order 100' or more I get a bulk discount from them and since I've spent several thousand dollars with them over the last year I get a discount on connectors as well. Let me know if you need something. I've had less than stellar results ordering from Canada in general lately so Take5 has become a less appealing option although their service has always been good.

I'm thinking of UPOCC and furutech 1/4" for the 950LTD project.

Much appreciated.

not that you really care about my $0.02, but that Furutech 1/4" is kinda crappy. The center ring portion of the connector sometimes get loose, which is very annoying. it does for me at least. And material where the conductors attach are pretty crappy as well.. thin and of some lame gold-plated material.

not that you really care about my $0.02, but that Furutech 1/4" is kinda crappy. The center ring portion of the connector sometimes get loose, which is very annoying. it does for me at least. And material where the conductors attach are pretty crappy as well.. thin and of some lame gold-plated material.

Good to know, thanks.

Hmmm, that's certainly different from what I've experienced. I've got 2 more on the way and will inspect them closely.

Hmmm, that's certainly different from what I've experienced. I've got 2 more on the way and will inspect them closely.

I've only used 4, but all of the rings loosened up after they were soldered. Perhaps someone has one on hand and can check. Just put your thumb on the ring and put your index finger on the tip and the middle finger on the sleeve. The try and push the ring through (in between your other fingers)... kinda hard to describe :)

heh, I shouldn't have stopped you from trying them out... that wouldn't have been cool.

I just don't think the build quality is any better than the usual suspects.

No worries. I did order them. :)

Ive worked with a dozen or so of the 1/4" Furutech plugs and have never had an issue. I wouldn't say the plug itself is any better quality than the Neutriks but it sure looks much cooler! :)

Damn...you're on to me! :)

yes, but can you move the ring portion of the connector?

I have 3 sitting here right now... the answer is no on all three... I would like to not on a sorta related topic that I have received what I believe to be either old or fake Vampire products in the past. I have had some that have a mate black finish and some with a gloss black... the gloss black ones have a lot lower tolerances ie. they like to melt very easily.

I have 3 sitting here right now... the answer is no on all three... I would like to not on a sorta related topic that I have received what I believe to be either old or fake Vampire products in the past. I have had some that have a mate black finish and some with a gloss black... the gloss black ones have a lot lower tolerances ie. they like to melt very easily.

have you installed the connectors? I mean, I could be totally full of crap (fungi your check is in the mail, thanks for getting my back)...