DIY cable gallery

Grand Enigma

Nice indeed. I designed some metal cups similar to your first ones a year or so ago but decided they were cost prohibitive and I prefer turning wood myself. Good to see I'm not the only crazy person. :)

Dinny, I bet they sound heavy. That's a lot more material than Grado uses on their cups. ;)

Looks awesome! Might wanna invest in some upgraded headbands. ;D

Yes, the original headband is too thin for this cups, the next evolution is a new headband, I don't know how to do it.

I like the way those aluminum cups look...a lot. How do they sound?

I heared these headphones for a little time, IMHO they have a sound similar to the PS-1, but with less resolution that the PS-1.

Nice indeed. I designed some metal cups similar to your first ones a year or so ago but decided they were cost prohibitive and I prefer turning wood myself. Good to see I'm not the only crazy person. :)

Dinny, I bet they sound heavy. That's a lot more material than Grado uses on their cups. ;)

:) :) :)

This headphone has a similar weight than PS-1.

Wow, beautiful work PICaudio. I'd be curious to hear how they compare to PS-1s.

Some time ago I've sent these headphones to Torpedo, he has a PS-1 and can make a good comparison. He can tell us the differences between these headphones.

-- o --

Rodrigo

For starters I'm posting some pics to show the size and shape differences between PS-1 and Picaudio's PS-225 (Picaudio Series)

metalgrado015.jpg

metalgrado011.jpg

metalgrado002.jpg

metalgrado018.jpg

I've weighed both cans with a rudimentary kitchen scale. The PS-1 weigh 340 grs, the SR-225 380grs. I guess the PS-1's headband is heavier, so this accounts for even heavier ear-pieces, which is normal considering the difference of diameter and thickness between their cups.

On my head the PS-1 feel way more comfy. Subjectively those 40grs difference seems larger, moreover the PS-1 stay in place when moving the head, while the PS-225 tend to fall out. The PS-225 are too bulky to use laying down on the coach.

Regarding sound... well, I've not made an A/B comparison, but my impression is that there are more differences than just resolution. Tonally wise the PS-1 are quite right, they can render timbres with decent accuracy so voices and acoustic instruments timbres are portrayed with a natural believable tone. You need to work a bit on the position and clamping force to get there. On the other hand the SR225 are more "Grado", there's a tendency to enhance midbass and lower treble so things are a bit more etched, pure midrange is a bit less apparent so timbre suffers and is less natural. In fact I found their treble in the bright-piercing side of things, and only when matched with the B-22 I had a more relaxed experience.

I'd say the PS-225 deliver more bass, which is less punchy (maybe a bit slower) and deep than PS-1's but more prominent, so if you use flats, it becomes quite unbearable to me.

Overall I think the PS-225 are a very nice improvement over the stock SR-225. I haven't owned or used the SR-225 for much time, and only listened to them using bowls. My memories of them aren't fond, I recall them as bright cans, with a colored sound, not accurate rendering timbres and maybe just good for some rock. The PS-225 are more listenable, and I've been able to enjoy them with some jazz and even classical, not the best for those styles, but acceptable, which is more than I could say of the RS-1.

Beautiful work indeed but is there any reason why the housings are so big compared to the PS-1? Backwave reflection must be an issue and can cause all sorts of issues. I must admit to be thinking how brillinat cups like that would be on a Stax SR-X Mk3 Pro... :o

I can think of so many things I'd like to get made right now....

Beautiful work indeed but is there any reason why the housings are so big compared to the PS-1? Backwave reflection must be an issue and can cause all sorts of issues. I must admit to be thinking how brillinat cups like that would be on a Stax SR-X Mk3 Pro... :o

Home Online Machine Shop Fabricate Custom Parts Instant Pricing

• 2 weeks later...

Who would cut off the plug? The socket I get but why the plug... :confused: Anyway looks good though I personally prefer to put something on the back of the WPI plug (some plastic housing of any old plug which I superglue to the WPI) to make them longer and thus easier to grip.

Who would cut off the plug? The socket I get but why the plug... :confused: Anyway looks good though I personally prefer to put something on the back of the WPI plug (some plastic housing of any old plug which I superglue to the WPI) to make them longer and thus easier to grip.

HE60 to Stax jack adapter

Yes, some sort of cover would have taken it up a notch, but I couldnt think of anything I had around the house that would be suitable, and wasnt concerned enough to go out to the hardware store. Works fine and the heatshrink I used is fairly thick 3:1 adhesive lined, so I feel it is good enough. Finally means I have enough length to recable the ESP/950 with the OCF Alpha cable I have (which was once yours, actually).

Now that does make sense. I guess I'm being a bit thick today as I had one of those for my HE90... :palm:

Now which is the bigger crime, having to destroy an HEV70 for a female HE60 socket, or having to destroy a Stax extension for a 5Pin Pro plug? HEV70s are less common, but less useful.

Why couldn't Sennheiser have just used an available part for the HE60 like they did for the HE90 anyway?

That reminds me, have any of you seen the second edition of Morgan Jones's "Valve Amps" book? Crazing the cover is his Daughter of the Beast 'stat amp with a HEV70 socket which he some how managed to get Senn to sell him (it's a part of the front panel so he had to modify it). I really need to buy a scanner... :palm:

Why couldn't Sennheiser have just used an available part for the HE60 like they did for the HE90 anyway?

Fischer was definitely out of the question as those connectors cost a lot of dough and I guess the custom units are just cheaper all around. Koss could have stayed with the 5-pin Amphenol plug on the ESP/950 but the new one must have been cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...