DIY cable gallery

Grand Enigma

Nice, and I like the multi MOT designation. ;D

Will there be spade lugs or banana plugs?

Nah... I played with bananas but they looked out of place given the size of the wire. The amp I'm using it with (at my desk) only has spring clips anyways.

I don't exactly make a whole lot of profit on cable sales either, considering that the K1000 cable in the picture would carry a price tag of a whopping $30.

:doghuh:

No need to take offense (at least it sounds like you are), you're tagged as an MOT which I believe you requested and I have no idea what you do or don't do, I can only speak for me. $30 sounds more than fair to me not that my opinion on the matter, matters.

Hey how come I don't get a spiffy little MOT tag too. This isn't gonna be like Head-Fi where it takes 3 1/2 years, if you're lucky, is it?

Non-factory repairs on (mostly discontinued) headphones (esp. driver repairs), aftermarket audio equipment modification and upgrades, headphone recables/refurbishment, and occasionally some custom interconnect cables (which I'm trying to move away from due to the low margins). :-\

No need to take offense (at least it sounds like you are), you're tagged as an MOT which I believe you requested and I have no idea what you do or don't do, I can only speak for me. $30 sounds more than fair to me not that my opinion on the matter, matters.

Nah, no offense taken. I was just making sure it was clear that I'm a rightful member of the SUCKITALO partnership by not charging ridiculous amounts for simple cables (for me it's more about the artistic aspects of it, rather than making money on it). Also considering the number of headphone recables & interconnects I've given away or sold below cost to people who didn't have the money to spend on things like that, I'd be surprised if that aspect of my business even turns a net profit.

Personally I don't think Fitz charges enough. On a few occasions I've bumped his fee myself, just because I didn't think he valued his time enough. His cables are labor intensive, especially long runs with that really tight sleeving. I also sent him a free stand to try to compensate.

I love trading out work, and if it's for something I can use I'll almost always say yes, but on the other hand I value my skills pretty highly. I guess that comes from running my own business for so long. However because of this I've been known to even double a few DIYers estimates when I thought the price they quoted me was too low.

I guess I see both sides. I love to help out my fellow members, but there's nothing wrong with making a decent profit as long as your work is up to par.

• 2 weeks later...

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2449&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=618379947e9e778751320e8cad4edaad

Here is a pretty unusual cable, a Stax plug to a 4 pin XLR. I made this for Duggeh so the TakeT H2 can be used with Stax amps instead of that nasty transformer unit. It could also be used as a torture device for K1000 and other similarly equipped phones... :D

Made a pair of interconnects using some UP-OCC 22ga I bought from Nate. I modified Chris VH's silver IC recipe, using a core of 1/4" polyethylene tubing, and spiraled the wires on 2" turns, wrapped it with teflon tape, then some techflex I had laying around. They are actually more flexible than I though they would be (not bad at all).

Dayton locking RCAs which I also had on hand... I'll probably change these to Neutrik ProFis or something down the road.

cable_vh.JPG