DIY cable gallery

Grand Enigma

I got in my latest shipment of the Furutech 1/4" plugs, there is no play in the ring, however the way that the assembly goes together allows the whole TRS section to rotate just slightly because the notch that fits into an internal keyway in the shell is slightly too small. Otherwise the construction of the entire plug is quite nice and easily the match of any Neutrik I've used.

I got in my latest shipment of the Furutech 1/4" plugs, there is no play in the ring, however the way that the assembly goes together allows the whole TRS section to rotate just slightly because the notch that fits into an internal keyway in the shell is slightly too small. Otherwise the construction of the entire plug is quite nice and easily the match of any Neutrik I've used.

cool! after you've soldered them, try again.

Glad you like them!

Actually, I'm amazed I got the left/right lengths to match.

I considered 4-pin XLR; but Nate suggested this solution because of the Bryston. ;p

The other way, he could have sold me more wire. :)

Oh, if you can, please delete the first post. Somehow I stuttered.

• 4 weeks later...
Wow, that's a lot cheaper than I thought. :o

Yup, the teflon coated stuff is more than double the price. And just be aware that the bulk of this stuff is borderline prohibitive for cable purposes. Note how fat the braid is relative to the 1/8" jack and realize that you're looking at the narrow edge of the braid. Some "customization" of the plug was required. ;)

• 3 months later...

One of my first cables - a couple of short RCA-RCA ICs. Just over a foot long, Neutrik NYS352G plugs and Neotech UPOCC 24 AWG in a four-wire round litz braid.

3202110495_765b2f3a39.jpg

Should I heat-shrink the ends?

The wire cost ~$7 for the nine feet I needed and the neutriks were $4.49 a pair - making this thing cost $17 CAD... I'd like to eventually make one from silver plated copper, but wonder if there's a better (i.e. cheaper) source than takefiveaudio for this stuff.

Decided to make some new speaker cables, but since the biggest wire I had in any quantity was 20 gauge I had to braid a metric arseload of wire:

wirebraidedpm5.jpg

I think it looks pretty good in the end though, even if I haven't yet gotten some new banana plugs that all actually match:

speakercablexl2.jpg