Stax SRM-T1 Repair

chiguy

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spritzer, I was waiting for your engineering experience on the topics that were raised. You were after all lecturing me on how to do it and criticising my endeavours. I mean you have a truck load of posts here, I can't find it though.

You only contribution was a disparaging vague initial post towards me. You came out all guns blasting and then lost interest real quickly and went posting elsewhere.

Seems like the introductory letter doesn't work both ways.

And this is different in how things work elsewhere on the internet?  This would endear you...anywhere else?

Spritzer

I read the introductory letter. I didn't start on you, it was the other way around, you went out of your way to start on me.

You read enough to jump in and make a joke about my post. Then you started beating your chest about your engineering prowess and with the put downs. But when it was time to cough up on your experience, you took off like a scared dog with his tail between his legs.

Grawk, you don't see the hypocrisy?

It's a Boston thing is it?

Spritzer

I read the introductory letter. I didn't start on you, it was the other way around, you went out of your way to start on me.

You read enough to jump in and make a joke about my post. Then you started beating your chest about your engineering prowess and with the put downs. But when it was time to cough up on your experience, you took off like a scared dog with his tail between his legs.

Grawk, you don't see the hypocrisy?

It's a Boston thing is it?

Since neither Spritzer nor Grawk is from Boston, I'd say it isn't.....I'm from the Boston area, and have tried to be diplomatic.

Again, it's about the social aspect of the forum, as alluded to above.  If you come in and proclaim superiority without spending time to get to know folks here, and get to BE known, this is what happens.  I still personally believe you'd have a lot to offer, but you're coming in a bit like the proverbial bull in a china shop.  And your offensive replies tend to imply that your skin is not as thick as you say....

So stay or go, with all good wishes.  But if you do stay, please think hard about how you come in and present yourself, no matter what your knowledge and experience.

You truly don't get this place do you?  We call people on their shit and claiming that changing good caps for bad is beneficial falls under that scope.  You haven't added anything here that is beneficial to the community so just fuck off. 

You're far more diplomatic that I would have been with this useless moron. 

Just correcting my last post as it seems I got things mixed a bit. The SRM-3 is an SRM-Xh with a bigger transformer and the 313 is similar to the 323A.

The 313 is very similar to the SRM-3 so you weren't totally off.  Similar build too with the PCB at a 90° angle and stupid shit like that.  A simple amp like the 323S is on my to-do list.  Waiting for Kevin to have his power restored so he can check out some of my ideas. 

Ahk cool, interested in the mods for the 323S, I've got mine here itching for mods. What about the 10m90 ccs like you did for the 007ta?

The amp sounds fine but there is something about the 323S sounds a bit too light, hard to describe really, lacking bit of extension both ways.

Edited by DefQon

srmxh, srm212,srm313, srm323 are all exactly the same thing with different current source

transistors and different power supply voltages.

not sure about the srm3

cavalli LL2T  is a srm313 front end, the 007t output section with 6s4 as the gain section and

a completely wasted pair of mosfets as the output stage. Takes more power to drive

the mosfet output stage, than if the gain section was the output section.  At least it sounds

better than the frist two versions (so really it should be a LL3) which were pure shit.

Wonder where alex got the idea to use 6s4?

The only way to make a srm323 better would be to regulate the power supply voltages.

Which is impossible in that size box. would need a different transformer and twice as

many power supply caps plus some heatsinking for the pass transistors

Wonder where alex got the idea to use 6s4?

If i remember correctly they were the tubes in the eXstatA he designed without the helpful aid proffered by all the more knowleged personnel involved in that project.

That was before he decided to build the Liquid series of amps.

I still can't get over his decision to have a power supply for the eXstatA that was designed for newbie builders and that didn't have protection to stop the supply going unfunctional if it was powered up without a load.

I wonder how many supplies went west while their voltages were being dialed in when the load resistor went OC because the power rating was marginal, or was operated without a load.

The few extra components to make the supply able to stand without a load, or uprate the load resistor would have meant more builds in service.

The idea of making the build as cheap as possible for newbies was fraught with peril for the intended audience, and probably turned off budding DIYers in the process.

Edited by wink

srmxh, srm212,srm313, srm323 are all exactly the same thing with different current source

transistors and different power supply voltages.

not sure about the srm3

The only way to make a srm323 better would be to regulate the power supply voltages.

Which is impossible in that size box. would need a different transformer and twice as

many power supply caps plus some heatsinking for the pass transistors

SRM-3 same as Xh so that falls right into your sentence of all those SRM class amp's being the same.

e.jpg

I'm happy to experiment and get my 323S PS regulated. I'm guessing new box for trafo, new pcb and new components and then an umbilical to feed the power to the 323S circuit direct bypassing the existing power supply circuitry? I'm wondering how much work is need to get the 323S pushed to the limit of the 1968's if I remember correctly is max limited for 450v ?

Nothing to add a CCS too, it already has 1968's for that role.  Running the output stage harder would be my go to mod but I'm not sure how much that transformer can take. 

Alright forgot that the 323S had 1968's filled out for the ccs role. By running the output stage harder you're meaning to push the output voltage a little higher right? Btw any idea what the voltage taps for the 323S trafo are? 

I'm really itching to rip out the 1968's out of my 323S for my KGSSHV build.  ;D

Edited by DefQon

For the record, I bought those Exstata board sets that were on HF.  ;D  It's mostly so we can measure them and add it to the database of measured amps as I will build both of them using the same parts. 

The psu is garbage and that was pointed out to Alex time and time again but he's too idiotic to see reason.  I sure as hell won't be using the PSU boards as the KGSSHV mini PSU is smaller and far better.

Alright forgot that the 323S had 1968's filled out for the ccs role. By running the output stage harder you're meaning to push the output voltage a little higher right? Btw any idea what the voltage taps for the 323S trafo are? 

I'm really itching to rip out the 1968's out of my 323S for my KGSSHV build.  ;D

Either raise the voltage rails or push more current through it.  You will need new heatsinks for the transistors though. 

You truly don't get this place do you?  We call people on their shit and claiming that changing good caps for bad is beneficial falls under that scope.  You haven't added anything here that is beneficial to the community so just fuck off. 

Spritzer, I don't understand how you knew the caps in my SRM-313 were good and I replaced them with bad ones. I don't recall you being in my workshop when I removed them. Or how you gained access to the measuring equipment in my workshop when I measured those capacitors.

Do you know what a choke is and how it can be of benefit in a power supply?

I have added to the community, you just don't understand what I am adding. If you speak to anyone with knowledge on the subject matter they will confirm that you are incorrect about your assumptions.