Anything better than HD600...

shellylh

My HD580 drivers (at least one) are dead and so instead of getting new drivers and fixing the old/used cans (which seem to be at least missing foamy pieces), I am thinking of picking up an HD600 from Justin for the office.  I like the clamp of the HD600/650 for one - the HD580 is a little loose for me especially since it is used and a little stretched out. 

Before I do, I was wondering if there is anything else out there that I should consider (I am guessing no).  I like that the HD600 are laid back and fairly neutral and comfortable.  This is key for the office. I'll be using them with Pico DAC/amp or Nate's DIY Torpedo + Pico DAC.

I briefly thought about getting an SRM-323s and SR-207 (or using my SR-404LE) but it will be much cheaper to stick with dynamics and the HD600 are much more comfortable to wear for long periods of time.  

I guess I should also mention, that I don't want to spend too much or else I would just get an HD800 or ... for the office.  :)

For casual, non-critical extended listening sessions that tend to happen at work I would stick with something like the 600/650.  They're not that hard to drive, very comfortable, and most importantly don't really have any glaring/offensive sonic traits.  They're just good, solid performers. 

Given that you're coming from HD580's, and you were happy with them, I would recommend sticking with that line/sound signature -- the HD600's.  They're really some of the most comfortable headphones out there, and properly amped, they really shine.  That said, I have absolutely no use for such an open phone.  I like DT880.  I use VTG's for office use, because I need really closed.  I should probably consider going back to the DT770.

I will most likely stick with the HD600, just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was forgetting about or something new and great.  

I really need open so that I can hear the phone ring or hear if someone comes into the office.  Since I have my own office, leakage is not a problem. 

I tried the DT990 at some point - I think it was ok but don't remember much about it.  The problem was that if I leaned my head downward (which I have to do often when I am working with pencil/paper), they would fall off my head.  I assume that the DT880 would be the same. 

Very funny Ken!

Dan, that is a very tempting option and I may end up getting a pair for the home or office at some point.  However, I like to keep my door open and I don't think one of neighbors will really appreciate the Airmotivs.   :)  I try to stick to speakers after 5pm. 

And I see that the Airmotiv 4's are on sale for $299...

Edited by shellylh

The headphones I heard as not being garbage (for my taste...) at this price range were the HD600, HD250, modded YH100 (not sure about the long term comfort on this one and needs amping) and SR-Lambda.

So HD600 it is, since it is the only one that is actually obtainable in good condition (and serviceable).

Edited by padam

I have 3 pairs. One goes to a nephew today. I use one connected to the computer. A Pioneer SE-A1000 isn't too bad for the price, but not quite as resolving as the HD600. The Pioneer has a 6 metre cord, and is quite comfortable, and a lot easier to drive.

I love my HD600, and everytime we have a HF meet in Winnipeg, it seems to really impress at least one person who, prior to hearing them, was more focused on whatever was being hyped over there at that moment.

I know you've already ordered, so it's a moot point, but I applaud your decision not to get the DT990 - I used to have one, and I found its sound signature quite fatiguing after half an hour of listening or less.

As long as you aren't basing "better" on "isolates from external noises", because it is definitely not better based on that criteria.

I do find the sound signatures similar, though, but the HD600 scales better.

I know you've already ordered, so it's a moot point, but I applaud your decision not to get the DT990 - I used to have one, and I found its sound signature quite fatiguing after half an hour of listening or less.

Just for the record, the DT990 was never recommended.  I was recommending the DT880, which is a completely different animal.