KEF LS50s or ?

blessingx

I run mine with a Stello DA-100 Signature. It's a swell DAC, however the LS50 can go even further. These are fairly transparent speakers and will let you know if the source sounds cruddy. Id recommend looking for DACs with good soundstaging capabilities. The best I've heard in this regard was a heavily modified ES9018 dac. That being said the chip is notorious for being implemented in a way that makes treble sound very metallic. The DAC I heard used a FIFO reclocker to remedy this.

For starter kit I'd recommend a Schiit Bifrost with upgrades.

• Like 1

The Schiit is likely a good suggestion.

Move has been delayed till the end of August, but at the time I'll play around with components. Most in my profile. We'll see on synergy and if headphone rig is integrated or separate. Been separate for awhile. Will let you know what works.

Edited by blessingx

I run mine with a Stello DA-100 Signature. It's a swell DAC, however the LS50 can go even further. These are fairly transparent speakers and will let you know if the source sounds cruddy. Id recommend looking for DACs with good soundstaging capabilities. The best I've heard in this regard was a heavily modified ES9018 dac. That being said the chip is notorious for being implemented in a way that makes treble sound very metallic. The DAC I heard used a FIFO reclocker to remedy this.

For starter kit I'd recommend a Schiit Bifrost with upgrades.

Thanks RudeWolf,

Will look into the Stello and ES9018 recommendation.

I haven't tried it before but do you have any idea on AudioGD offerings?

There are plenty of models using ES9018 there.

The Schiit is likely a good suggestion.Move has been delayed till the end of August, but at the time I'll play around with components. Most in my profile. We'll see on synergy and if headphone rig is integrated or separate. Been separate for awhile. Will let you know what works.

Thanks blessingx.

you might find more help regarding the AudioGD "offerings" over at head-fi.  There are a number of shills there who should be able to tell you whatever you want to hear.

Okay thanks grawk, but sorry if I'm using the wrong "offerings" word; English is not my first language.

Even when replying to this thread it took me quite some times to construct the sentences.

And yes, I've read the Head-Case welcome message, so that you know I'm not in any way trying to act cool and further make a fool of myself.

Thanks.

There are people on Head-Fi who make money (or receive products worth money) for generating a positive impression of Audio GD products.  I have never owned one, and I can't tell you if any of them sound good or not, but I don't like the business model.  Good products sell themselves, and honest marketing tells you more about what you are buying. The way Audio GD is sold makes me nervous.  Many products are sold this way in China, and they might be a very good value, but I doubt it.

We don't recommend a lot of gear on this forum.  Lots of us have similar gear, or we know what everyone else owns.  If you're looking for recommendations, or a way to work within a specific budget, Head-Fi is a better place to ask.  If you want to know what we like here, there are reviews and comments all over the forum.

I think you're English is very good, and I'm glad you read the welcome message.  I hope you're enjoying your LS50s.

There are people on Head-Fi who make money (or receive products worth money) for generating a positive impression of Audio GD products.  I have never owned one, and I can't tell you if any of them sound good or not, but I don't like the business model.  Good products sell themselves, and honest marketing tells you more about what you are buying. The way Audio GD is sold makes me nervous.  Many products are sold this way in China, and they might be a very good value, but I doubt it.

We don't recommend a lot of gear on this forum.  Lots of us have similar gear, or we know what everyone else owns.  If you're looking for recommendations, or a way to work within a specific budget, Head-Fi is a better place to ask.  If you want to know what we like here, there are reviews and comments all over the forum.

I think you're English is very good, and I'm glad you read the welcome message.  I hope you're enjoying your LS50s.

Hi Sherwood,

Thanks for the reply.

I'll head to the DAC section and read the reviews and comments there then, and I'll just remove AudioGd from my list. :)

• Like 2

There are people on Head-Fi who make money (or receive products worth money) for generating a positive impression of Audio GD products.

Then there are those who can't tell apart a finger and a dick.

I have precisely one ADG product at hand and judging from that - avoid them. The build quality is very bad, the anodizing went from black to dark brown in one summer. ADG relies on the "moar parts = moar better" approach, which sometimes can work, but their execution leads to mediocre sounding gear. Some top end products are known to sound respectable after some wrestling, but after I've invested couple of grand into gear, I want to sit down and enjoy the music. Not find deformed top covers, missing screws and other goodies.

There are better offers nowadays.

Then there are those who can't tell apart a finger and a dick.

I have precisely one ADG product at hand and judging from that - avoid them. The build quality is very bad, the anodizing went from black to dark brown in one summer. ADG relies on the "moar parts = moar better" approach, which sometimes can work, but their execution leads to mediocre sounding gear. Some top end products are known to sound respectable after some wrestling, but after I've invested couple of grand into gear, I want to sit down and enjoy the music. Not find deformed top covers, missing screws and other goodies.

There are better offers nowadays.

Hi RudeWolf,

I'm pretty much decided not to spend money on AudioGd products after reading Sherwood and your comment/experience with it.

Currently looking at Bifrost as been suggested, and also trying to audition PS Audio NuWave DAC from a dealer in my country.

Thanks for the reply and advice. :)

• 3 weeks later...

They do and I have tried mine in a 15ft equilateral triangle. The stage gets super huge, but you usually get all kinds of early reflections going on, which can be avoided in near field. Enjoyable, but not their best.

Regarding power amps - do get something that can comfortably drive 2 ohm loads. I'd stay away from class D and chipamp based designs. The speaker likes current and has all kinds of kinks in the phase response. A fat Parasound or Adcom might do the trick, but these little fuckers are very transparent, so any glare will come rolling through. For budget solutions try older (80ies) boat anchor integrateds.

I don't know if I'd ever attempt anything that claimed "inspired by ... LS3/5a" in anything other than the nearfield, even if it does have a port on the back (and coaxial drivers).

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking writing that, should change it to this: 

I don't know if I'd ever attempt anything that claimed "inspired by ... LS3/5a" in anything other than the nearfield...even if it does have a port on the back...and coaxial drivers...come to think of it, how is it inspired by the LS3/5a?  Just...don't mind me.

• 2 weeks later...

Is that a plastic bucket? Mmm...I think it's going to rattle. However if it's resin, it should be fine.

Feedbag == room treatment? Well...that's...novel...

That is definitely Blue Jeans speaker cable the cinder block guy is using.

Judging by the appearance of his room, he might be the most unpretentious audiophile ever.

• Like 1