Head Case Motorsports

VPI

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got the Demon out to the track.  Only a few passes in before the rain came.  Running the Nitto OEM drag radials and the track prep at this annual event is what it is, but fun all the same.  Great bunch of people for the most part.  A lot of show cars run so street tires and poor track prep make for a lot of wheel slip...  C'est la vie...

Some friends of mine shot this pretty cool slow motion shot so I could learn from the pass...off a phone.  Boy I'm getting old but have to love the tech...

HS

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mikeymad said:

Still, that hooks pretty hard - just a touch of slip - will be fun on full slicks.

I cannot see the numbers on the board - you running 8s (high 7s)?

God bless ya...LOL!  My old car was a bit heavier with all the safety equipment and had a serious motor and twin turbos.  Ran 8's with the incorrect gearing (it was wired for the standing mile). 

This bone stock Demon with way too much fancy stuff like Scandinavian leather runs 10's.  Supercharged car but about half the power at the rear wheel...maybe 60%.  Won't ever see 8's unless I decide to do bad things to something too pretty.  7's with a chassis this heavy would mean gutting the car hard and then going serious power.

HS

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HemiSam said:

God bless ya...LOL! My old car was a bit heavier with all the safety equipment and had a serious motor and twin turbos. Ran 8's with the incorrect gearing (it was wired for the standing mile).

This bone stock Demon with way too much fancy stuff like Scandinavian leather runs 10's. Supercharged car but about half the power at the rear wheel...maybe 60%. Won't ever see 8's unless I decide to do bad things to something too pretty. 7's with a chassis this heavy would mean gutting the car hard and then going serious power.

HS

Aye - now that you say it that I can see the 10(.71?) flash up on the first run. 

I know that getting under 10s a lot more safety kicks in. have fun. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Grahame said:

So Hennessey has quite the reputation.   He actually sold out and is now "consulting" or the like.  Lots of legal cases against him going years back but that is what it is.  More relevant, $160K or so for that car...LOL!  No way.  I can get that Trackhawk to go faster and handle well for a LOT less money.  I just won't have the fancy stitching on the headrests which isn't all bad:D

HS

EDIT:  allow me to be more specific.  With my car I can swap upper and lower pulleys (so think supercharger pulley being smaller...the upper and the lower being the balancer on the crank shaft) to spin the blower and make more boost.  I would upgrade the fuel injectors to allow for add'l fuel for the add'l boost and dynamic compression...more stuff and higher pressure creating a bigger bang at the top of the engine stroke/spark plug firing).  The fuel pumps can be upgraded or you can add something I've got mixed feelings about called a boost-a-bump inexpensively.  Add a small nitrous setup for a "wet shot" which means you add add'l fuel as you add nitrous.  The transmission should hold as is at say a 9.0 second quarter mile w/o issue.    Swap out the mid-pipes (exhaust) for catless (remove catalytic converters or at least put high flow ones in) and tuning to support the additional power/mojo.  I'd say all this for $10K to be overly conservative and outrun that Jeep all day long and repeatedly.  Voila...

Edited by HemiSam
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I ran my favorite event, The Texas Mile (standing Mile), last weekend for the first time since parting out my beloved blue 2009 Challenger...Old School.  The Demon did well for what she is. Had some colorful top of the track moments as after the half mile the front end would swing left to right increasingly as speeds increased. Drag racing suspension. Thought the “Sport” setting would address the excitement but not so much. Finally...found the fix in the “Street” suspension mode...don’t ask. Couldn’t explain it if I tried but I was grateful as I could finally enjoy the full passes. 

Following are a few pics. vroom vroom...

HS

AADDF4E8-FB40-45F8-9D64-D7CABD6374D6.jpeg

25AF9CF7-BDD0-4D8E-87BB-218209D2D0F2.jpeg

DA3B3DFE-5E9B-41B7-82A5-F77D35A53E7F.jpeg

CC788791-5118-40C3-849E-1873813E7A11.jpeg

8D64EA49-EB4C-41EC-8401-CD4280CAA016.jpeg

BD89CB9E-1139-434E-B1FA-F67BA40EE815.jpeg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I experienced something pretty phenomenal yesterday afternoon.  I was hanging out with friends on the last afternoon of the March 2019 Texas Mile watching the last few racers remaining make passes.  The conditions were good....very good.  Steady tailwind and the temps were dropping.  The current record holder, a last gen Ford GT that's been Gulf Oil colors (my personal favorite livery) beat his prior record over the weekend...went 297 over his 293mph.  Ungodly speeds for a standing mile (and lets not forget there is the whole stopping thing over limited real estate).  Well....the team ticked off a 300.4mph pass...HOLY COW!!!  The crowd was a bit thin but we all lit up.  My friends and I were watching mid-track and listening to the announcer as the marker speeds were called out.  Absolutely thrilling moment for me personally and I think for many of the mile racers there.

vroom vroom...

HS

• Like 6

wow - that is pretty spectacular. 

most people don't really know how fast 300 really is. just how much air you have to get out of the way.  It was dancing - but looked pretty stable. People would ask my friend Dave about his 68 mustang fastback (about 800hp) drag car, how fast it could go on the road - his response was - until it wrecks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mikeymad said:

wow - that is pretty spectacular. 

most people don't really know how fast 300 really is. just how much air you have to get out of the way.  It was dancing - but looked pretty stable. People would ask my friend Dave about his 68 mustang fastback (about 800hp) drag car, how fast it could go on the road - his response was - until it wrecks.

LOL...your friend is a wise man, mikey!  That's a great response I might have to borrow.

I have run just short of 212mph but in a much heavier car.  Never liked using my chute, but I can tell you the molecules I was shoving with my poor coefficient of drag on my 4500lb + Challenger were a lot.  Your point about "dancing" is well taken also.  I recall one time I left and apparently a strong crosswind hit me near the top of the track and at about 180mph I had little if any steering.  Didn't realize what happened until my friends told me this big wind came in after I left.

It's a crazy hobby but boy what a thrill.  

There are only rumors about what the Ford GT makes at the rear wheel.  We are thinking somewhere between  3000 and 4000 rwhp.  Nuts.

HS

• Like 2