HDCP 2.2 compatible receiver

shellylh

So I have this nice new LG OLED TV but my receiver can't pass 4K video through it since it is too old.  So I need something that will be HDCP 2.2 compatible I believe.   I have a Marantz SR6005.  I've been really happy with the Marantz receivers so far and would like to stay with them unless there is something significantly better that won't break the bank. Trying to decide between 

SR5011,
SR6011, and
SR7011.

Any thoughts?  This will be for a 3 (maybe 3.1 at some point) setup.  

Setup:  PS4 Pro/Apple TV/Oppo BDP-105D -> receiver (would use DAC in receiver for everything buy music and would use the Oppo for that) -> TV and Monitor Audio silver series center and tower speakers (RS6)

I'm not sure what the 6011 and 7011 would give me over the 5011. 

Edited by shellylh

5 minutes ago, Voltron said:

Maybe it's annoying and more cables but can't you run the video direct to the tv and the audio through the marantz you have?

I tried but it didn't quite work.  Maybe I need a new HDMI cable from the tv to receiver.  Would that create a lag in the audio? 

1 minute ago, VPI said:

Not unless it is recent; however, you can stream it through the LG TV netflix app in 4k HDR with no problems, hence, no need to have sources going through the receiver.  

http://www.gamesradar.com/how-to-watch-4k-video-on-ps4-pro-with-netflix-amazon-and-youtube/

That is true.  I guess I need to look more into getting sound out of the TV to the receiver. 

4 minutes ago, shellylh said:

I tried but it didn't quite work.  Maybe I need a new HDMI cable from the tv to receiver.  Would that create a lag in the audio? 

The LG will allow you to tweak timing a little bit to make sure audio matches video.

On one of my 4k TVs I am just using a surround sound soundbar and I use the fiber optic out of the LG into the Soundbar, works fine.

Edited by VPI
  • Like 3

I'm also curious to hear if there are any good receiver recommendations.  Some time this year I'll hopefully be picking one up.  Minimum requirements are 4k video and 7.1, multi-room audio.  Current leading candidate is the Marantz 6011 that Shelly also mentioned but it wouldn't hurt my feelings to spend less than $1400 on just the receiver for the new HT.

• Like 2

Nate, do any of the Yamaha AVR's meet your requirements?

I ended up with this 

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/tsr/tsr-7810/

at This price

https://slickdeals.net/f/9477303-yamaha-tsr-7810-rx-v781-7-2-channel-atmos-4k-uhd-hdr-atmos-dts-x-wifi-bluetooth-home-theater-receiver-costco-com-449-99-fs

as i needed/wanted 

* 4K HDR (HDCP 2.2 / HDMI 2.1 )

* pre outs for the AVI 2.1 Active speakers / SVS subwoofer 

Other's in the range may meet your requirements. Threads on avsform.com dissect the models / feature sets (and what is common)

A friend who recently went 4K, uses the TV the input source (including the built in apps), and then the TV's optical out into a (sonos) soundbar for audio output,

So his wife only has one remote (the TV remote) to deal with. Reduces box count as well. 

Only the Built in apps (Amazon / Netflix / YouTube) , the UHD/HDR Blu Ray player and the Nvidia shield are 4K / UHD / HDR 

Latest amazon fire is 4K but only HDMI 1.4 so no HDR , but their app is now on the Nvidia shield. Apple TV still only HD currently,

Nvidia shield Android TV / Live TV app allows use of the HDPrime and cable card, which is handy 

and also why i have an 8 port Gigabit hub in the AV cabinet.

I noticed occasional Audio dropouts from the Amazon App on the TV over Toslink during The Grand Tour UHD / HDR - but the Nvidia Shield over HDMI doesn't seem to suffer from this. Never got around to trying the ARC / HDMI 2 connection .

Plenty of options, plenty of connections, plenty of fragmentation in terns of content / sources.

Even after setting everything up to use a harmony hub  so it can all be controlled by 1 remote with physical buttons ( no unlocking device + finding app etc),

it's still non trivial to navigate around to answer the question "i'd like to watch something good"

Interesting that it seems we'll need to use computer/machine vision and AI to unify all these disparate interfaces so our other halves don't get frustrated when "I just want to watch TV, how hard can it be?"

http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/15/14620510/caavo-tv-streaming-box-machine-vision-ai-gamechanger

EDIT: for illustration

This

d2a8c470d5e66ab931e8ccec1a4b030a.jpg

Is replaced by this

2ed22be88f6fc1b6ee211623d180b88e.jpg

(Other than voice search / commands which is occasionally useful, YMMV)

• Like 1

Grahame,

Odds are good something from the yamaha lineup could cut it.  

And yes, the Harmony remotes are essential these days.  I use a 650 and it's far from perfect but does pretty well.  The pain is the PS3 and the lack of direct compatibility.  Still, the kids have everything figured out even if the grandparent's don't quite.  The new setup will hopefully be as user-friendly if not a bit more so but that'll be a work in progress until all of the components selected.  So far the only actual selection has been the speakers, long way to go.

• Like 1

I have the same sort of problem, but at 1080. My ancient Marantz (SR 56xx) receiver won't pass HD, so I run video sources to the TV and audio from the back to the receiver via S/PDIF.
Works fine, but I did have to use the receiver's lip sync delay feature to get sight and sound lined up correctly.
If I had the money in hand and basically could be bothered, I'd spring for the best receiver, with the best video features I could, with the lip sync thing being a major factor. That, and having a good scaler available to all sources. But since I've got good performance now...manyana...

• Like 1