2019 NHL Playoffs

grawk

Well, Bruins versus the Whalercanes in the East....even though they came out of nowhere practically, the 'Canes have a lot of great speed and some strength as well; they are hitting stride at the perfect time.  Looking forward to that matchup.

I loved the last couple games for the Bruins, they started to play more like many fans knew they could.  I think a lot of credit goes to Columbus for not letting the bruins get into their game early on, but they adjusted better than Columbus did.  It's too bad Columbus will likely lose 3 or 4 really good players as UFA's this off-season; they are a heck of a team.

Game 1 will have the Bruins without one of their best defensemen, Charlie McAvoy.  An unintentional hit to the head of another player.  Can't say the suspension wasn't justified, but what irks me and other Bruins' fans is that Kukan, one of the the Columbus D, gave literally an elbow to the jaw of one of the Bruins; 2 minute penalty (like McAvoy's), but ultra-quiet from the horrid Dept Of Player "Safety."  Just want consistency....

Will keep my eyes on the Western games, St Louis and Dallas tied 1-1 after 1st period right now.  Wouldn't mind seeing St Louis versus San Jose....but we'll see.

I thought McAvoy's hit was unintentional at first but the slow mo replays showed that he dropped his shoulder into the guy's head. I didn't see the other play. Nevertheless, Go Bruins! 

I'm hoping that the Sharks can continue winning every other game in this series and finish this off...

• 2 weeks later...

Yay for the Bruins!  One of the best things about them advancing is watching the renewed butt-hurt from Toronto "fans"

In quotes because while so many are great, it is incredible how many are whiny bitches, along with the media.  It was actually funny to have a large group of folks in Canada thanking the Bruins for knocking the Maple Leafs out.  Too much "center of the hockey universe" mentality they said.

San Jose gets more ref luck to help win a game.  But hats off to them, they ARE winning; Couture is having a fantastic playoffs.  I have a feeling it'll be the Sharks and Bruins in the Finals, but I'm open to either team from the West getting in.

Tough game for the Sharks today.  Some definite questionable hits knocked two of their players out....and I think the refs are afraid to call anything that will favor them too much now...

I have to say that - with the exception of Evander Kane - I pretty much like everyone on both teams.  I USED to like Kane, he had an incredible KO against perennial scumbag Matt Cook after the Bruins were neutered from being able to do anything to him.  But he's not been the cleanest or nicest player or teammate on and off the ice for a while now.  Too bad....still has some good talent.

• Like 1

The Sharks are battered and it may be difficult to physically bounce back, let alone mentally. The Blues have mercilessly targeted Karlsson and certainly made a number of cheap shots that should have been called. Maybe you're right that the five minute major and the non call hand pass (both of which were turning points but both good calls to my mind) have spooked the refs. Hoping for a game seven opportunity...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2019 at 7:26 PM, Aura said:

Fuck the motherfucking blues.

I used to feel a lot more neutral about them, but a lot of what san Jose complained about I'm seeing in this series.  Yes, they're a heavy team, but they cross the lines WAY too much.  Fair amount of near-or-at-head shots, running the goalie at least 3 if not more times....

Then that fuckwad Berube complains that they're getting too many calls against them.  Sorry, it's just now they're ACTUALLY calling the penalties. 

Sadly, though, it's still inconsistent.  Borderline calls made, worse calls missed....but while the Bruins wouldn't be called "clean" for sure, the Blues are way worse.  So they deserve more calls against them.

Nervous about tonight, hoping the Bruins win, AND remain healthy.....

I am VERY nervous about this game now....the Blues have been on or over the edge, especially with head shots.  The refs are loathe to call a 5-minute major and game ejection penalty anymore this post-season, so it opens up for them to go over that edge and knock players out of the game.  They can deal with suspensions for the beginning of next season, as long as they do whatever they can to win the cup.

I only hope that they are warned in advance to keep it clean....

i heard a good comment from either a podcast or nbc.... it is imperative that the bruins start hot and/or get the first goal tomorrow night. they are absolutely play with more energy when they've have a lead in this series and the blues seem to lose a fair amount of energy when they're down.

had some plans around 7 last night so had to play catch-up on DVR... and very glad i didn't watch live.

blues started hot for first 2 minutes, then bruins absolutely took over on possession for virtually the rest of the period. fucking binnington stood on his head and i said to myself at some point "it feels like blues are going to steal a goal here." 10 seconds later they get the deflection through rask. i basically fast-forwarded through the entire second period and bulk of the third because bruins were so obviously-deflated and flat.

what irritates me most about these playoffs in general can point directly to the blues' path. first three rounds - i'll give them all the credit. had a ton to fight through, incredibly resilient. then this fucking final series... the league flat-out enabled/allowed berube's comments about officiating to completely change the tone of calling. then game 5... i'm not blaming the refs directly, but i think the league unfortunately bears some level of credit for how this series went. i don't think it would have went seven games... but i'm also not sure that bruins would've won under those other circumstances. very conflicted.

feel good for ryan o'reilly. was happy to hear he got the smythe. maybe the only guy on blues that i actually like.

feel horrible for rask. @skullguise why does boston hate him so much? hawks will trade you a fucked-up corey crawford 1:1 for him.

anyway, there's only one thing we should all remember about 2019...

FUCK THE BLUES

Not everyone hates Rask....it's more a media-hyped thing where some people look for click-bait, and a lot of the uneducated masses agree with them.  When we fell in 2013 to Chicago, they didn't see that the Bruins were gassed, that Patrice Bergeron was playing with a fractured rib, punctured lung, and who knows what else.  No, they saw a [more talented] Chicago team score two quick goals late in the 3rd, when the defense broke down.  And yes, Rask let in the goals. 

But if you look at that year, the Bruins swept a heavily-favored Penguins team full on the back of a stellar performance from Rask.  Same with much of this year, Rask was lights out in so many ways.  Some of it is the Bruins defensive system, but a lot is him.

So, some real fans know how good he is, but the casual or media-inspired fans jump on him.  And they make more noise.

As for this series, the Blues got away with a ton, because they are a naturally-heavy-playing team.  And after the Vegas fiasco earlier, I don't think that ANY ref would call a 5-minute-and-game in any other series.  The games they won both against San Jose and in this series (before last night), they won due in a large part to 1) knocking out players, and 2) getting away with a ton of holds and other penalties to prevent the Sharks and Bruins from executing (both on offense, and defense sometimes).

It really was too bad, because I think the Bruins would have taken the series in 5, maybe 6, had the calls been more accurate and consistent.

All that said, two things are important to note: 1) the Blues played VERY well last night.  Yes, still some penalties that could have been called, but it wasn't as over-the-edge as other games; and they played a very smart forecheck and middle-clogging game; and of course Binnington had another great rebound game.  And then 2) the Bruins' top 2 lines were near-no-shows.  Some rumors have injuries to Bergeron and Marchand limiting them, but they and others were generally missing in action.  If they were "on" just a tiny bit more, I also believe the series would have been over before 7 games.  That the Bruins even got to 7 without their top two lines functioning is a testament to Rask and their depth.

So congratulations to the Blues.  There are several I like on their team, O'Reilly I don't mind even despite a drunk driving accident (he had been rumored to be reckless and a bit wild outside the game but seems to have come down to earth) with him running into a Tim Horton's.  But I really dislike Berube, Ott (coaches, both ass-wipes and dirty players), as well as people like Perron (running the goalie a couple times, lots of over-the-edge play), Schenn (also over the edge, and went high on Chara several times trying for his broken jaw), and a couple others (the 2 suspended players).

Bleah.....

Edited by skullguise

• 4 weeks later...

So exciting that Cunty Camper the necro troll is back! Now posts once every 4-5 years to see if he can poke the bear and get a reaction. Best to ignore and just post a bit of an exchange with the great troll crusher of old, Matt the Younger. 280CEBA7-AF88-45AA-83CC-823F303170FC.thumb.jpeg.f632e4f08bed20ec784e1ee8b7f8ec0c.jpeg

~~snipped some witty repartée by us and cunty responses~~

DFB2199B-2668-4BDE-9CC3-51D6864BC76E.thumb.jpeg.3da4ffd179cf77e6ae3f791815a2d97b.jpeg5BA73575-CD9A-4C58-A013-2682FB681258.thumb.jpeg.ec2849848372b5226ee3cdf5dac86582.jpeg

Fuck you Matt, I miss you.