Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

We have been having $.10 increases like mad. Last week alone it went up over $.30 a gallon.

Yup, I'd say we've seen around a $.30/gal increase in the last week around here as well. We haven't broken $4/gal but I doubt that'll hold through the week. Pretty friggen amazing really.

Yup, I'd say we've seen around a $.30/gal increase in the last week around here as well. We haven't broken $4/gal but I doubt that'll hold through the week. Pretty friggen amazing really.

There are saying that we should be hitting $5 within the next few weeks.

Great time to get a 55MPG commuter! :prettyprincess:

There are saying that we should be hitting $5 within the next few weeks.

Great time to get a 55MPG commuter! :prettyprincess:

Yeah, my parents ordered a Prius yesterday and I'm having serious thoughts about replacing my truck. I'll probably try to commute as much as I can on the bike this summer but that's a temporary solution to what is rapidly appearing to be a permanent problem.

Yeah, my parents ordered a Prius yesterday and I'm having serious thoughts about replacing my truck. I'll probably try to commute as much as I can on the bike this summer but that's a temporary solution to what is rapidly appearing to be a permanent problem.

There was just a nice little comparison on one of my bike forums. I didn't do that math, so I don't speak for it. However, given the current gas prices, one would have to drive the prius for 112k miles before the break even point would be reached, when compared to a similarly speced gas powered corolla.

There was just a nice little comparison on one of my bike forums. I didn't do that math, so I don't speak for it. However, given the current gas prices, one would have to drive the prius for 112k miles before the break even point would be reached, when compared to a similarly speced gas powered corolla.

They needed to replace their car anyway and had been thinking about a Prius for a long time (before the current gas price issue). And I've been in both Carolla's and Prius's and I greatly prefer the Prius. Also, given Toyota's recent trend of vastly over-estimating fuel economy I'd take whatever advantage I could. Example: my wife's 07 Camry (4cyl) gets 27mpg on the highway even though it was rated at 34. It's never gotten even close to 30 and is a major disappointment in that regard.

The big advantage to the prius is you show the world you care about fuel economy :)

I miss my passat TDI. 45mpg reliably, 750+ miles per tank, would do 110 mph sustained (no speed limits in montana, took 5 hrs to go 550 miles).

They needed to replace their car anyway and had been thinking about a Prius for a long time (before the current gas price issue). And I've been in both Carolla's and Prius's and I greatly prefer the Prius. Also, given Toyota's recent trend of vastly over-estimating fuel economy I'd take whatever advantage I could. Example: my wife's 07 Camry (4cyl) gets 27mpg on the highway even though it was rated at 34. It's never gotten even close to 30 and is a major disappointment in that regard.

The big advantage to the prius is you show the world you care about fuel economy :)

I miss my passat TDI. 45mpg reliably, 750+ miles per tank, would do 110 mph sustained (no speed limits in montana, took 5 hrs to go 550 miles).

Here's a real world test between a Prius + and a current (Euro spec) BMW diesel.

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/used_car_reviews/article3552994.ece

or what's the ROI on going hybrid.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/autos/0711/gallery.hybrids_that_pay/index.html

Here's a real world test between a Prius + and a current (Euro spec) BMW diesel.

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/used_car_reviews/article3552994.ece

Of course the problems being that 1)you can't buy that BMW or anything like it in the states (as far as I know) and 2) diesel currently costs nearly a $1/gal more than gas, meaning that your diesel better be getting a lot better fuel economy compared to the hybrid if you want to keep fuel costs low.

And then there's the Diesel/Hybrid hybrids. VW has gone back and forth between whether or not they're going to market them in the states (they think they'll be too expensive for it to be worth their while to sell them here). I think they're wrong (especially if gas prices don't come back down).

Of course the problems being that 1)you can't buy that BMW or anything like it in the states (as far as I know) and 2) diesel currently costs nearly a $1/gal more than gas, meaning that your diesel better be getting a lot better fuel economy compared to the hybrid if you want to keep fuel costs low.

real world, good diesels ARE a lot better economy. plus bigger, and better performance

1)you can't buy that BMW or anything like it in the states (as far as I know

soon enough:

"TDI initiative on the North American market.

As early as next year, Audi will be putting the cleanest diesel engine in the world into series production vehicles in the USA. The 3.0 TDI with ultra-low emission system will initially be available for the Audi Q7, and later for the new Audi A4."

Yeah, a lot of the auto manufacturers are coming out with the next generation of clean diesel within the next couple of years: BMW, Honda, and of course, VW and Audi. There are others, but I forget right now.

EDIT: Mercedes, I think, and Nissan, Toyota, Ford (of course), and GM (of course).

They use more fuel starting than running
Ah. (Regular gasoline cars take more fuel starting than running...for less than a minute [roughly]. More than a minute, and it becomes worth it, gas-wise, to stop the car and restart it. I presume by this that you mean, with diesels, that time limit becomes much longer, as in, long enough to fill your tank [10 minutes or so, with foam].)

soon enough:

"TDI initiative on the North American market.

As early as next year, Audi will be putting the cleanest diesel engine in the world into series production vehicles in the USA. The 3.0 TDI with ultra-low emission system will initially be available for the Audi Q7, and later for the new Audi A4."

Well yeah, but who'd be caught dead drivin' an Audi? >:D

Well yeah, but who'd be caught dead drivin' an Audi? >:D
Unless the electric-diesel hybrid sees the light of day, my next car is in most likelihood either a VW Golf/Rabbit/whatever, Jetta Sportwagen, or an Audi A3. (Diesel -- I'm hoping they come in diesel.) Or maybe the Tiguan.

Unless the electric-diesel hybrid sees the light of day, my next car is in most likelihood either a VW Golf/Rabbit/whatever, Jetta Sportwagen, or an Audi A3. (Diesel -- I'm hoping they come in diesel.) Or maybe the Tiguan.

I love Audi, but that was a little dig at Marc, 'cause he owns one.