New acquisition - an unplanned cat

boomana

I work in a residential facility of nine apartment buildings on a golf course and spend much of my day walking around annoying the patients. Many stray cats live on the golf course and come around mooching at night. They are almost all feral and impossible to tame. We know them all and the patients have names for them. Today, a cat I've never seen before starting following me around from building to building. I'd go in one for a hour or so and he'd be waiting for me outside the door of whatever apartment I'd been in and follow to the next one. I go in the office and he'd be waiting outside again and start meowing whenever I appeared. He must know a sucker when he sees one for he ignored most everyone else. This went most of the evening, and when he followed me to my car tonight, he just got on in like a dog, and rode on my lap all the way home. I've had cats my whole life, and never had this experience before, especially cats in cars.

Anyway, I seem to have a cat now, which definitely wasn't my plan. He was obviously someone's house cat at one time and is extremely affectionate and mellow. He either escaped or got thrown out, but he's pretty beat up, skinny, and with tar covering his belly and big blobs of it on his tail. Fortunately, I could find no fleas or mites. Other than that, he's a handsome orange guy, I'm guessing about 10 months old. I gotta try and get him to a vet tomorrow and get all the tests and figure out how to get tar off a cat.

My last cat, and the best cat I've ever known, was killed on Easter. She was a feral cat, and I could never make her an indoor one. I still miss her horribly and haven't wanted to get another. I'm a little freaked out as I'm not ready for a pet, and I really don't want the responsibility right now, but this guy has already settled right in, eaten, located the litter box (I never got rid of my other cat's things), and is trying to clean himself while lounging on the carpet. If I make clicking noises, he runs right to me. He is on the floor next to me now, purring wildly. I think he's mine. Egad. I only hope his tests turn out okay.

If I can find batteries for my camera, I'll take a pic.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rehabilitated rescues are the best. They are usually more appreciative of what they have, since they once did not have it. Or at least I like to think so.

But not to get your hopes up, your vet did do a scan for a chip right? Also, check with the local animal shelter and boards for "lost" ads and info. Unfortunately, people seem to abandon cats far more than dogs (but still a ridiculous amount of dogs). So it is highly possible someone moved and just left the cat behind. I've seen it happen many times.

And if you aren't ready to another pet, don't feel guilted into keeping it. Contact a good local rescue otherwise.

-Ed

...he followed me to my car tonight, he just got on in like a dog, and rode on my lap all the way home. I've had cats my whole life, and never had this experience before, especially cats in cars.
Awww...that's great, I've never had that experience either, but almost did with a local, "Squeaky". I'd see if I could get that chip surgically removed if he has one.

Post pics, tar 'n' all.

Here's a pic I took with my cell phone:

1_IMAGE_00010.jpg

He's lying on the tar-side of his belly, but you can see the blobs on his tail. He smells like tar.

I've been on the phone all morning with every local vet and the earliest appointment I can get is Thurs! and no baths until three days after vaccination, that's assuming all his tests come out okay.

I'm going to call around to see if anyone lost him. He's definitely a housecat, totally kicked back, and not even trying to get out the door. He didn't spaz out last night in the car (very weird), and once inside, calmly checked things out then headed straight for the kitchen. He hasn't tried to claw up my furniture, or mess with anything. I tried to put him in the guest bedroom last night to keep him sorta contained until I'm sure he's bug free (I didn't see any, and put Advantage on him anyway--nasty smell mixed with the tar), but he figured out how to open the door and I woke up with him stretched out sleeping on my legs. He already seems to have an objection to the dry food I had around (to feed the stray guy in my neighborhood that led my other cat astray), and stares up the fridge longingly. Too bad he doesn't know there's nothing in there he would want.

He has a very raspy meow, but isn't a gabber; just when made noises to him, he responds.

kitty2.jpg

He knew where to go!

Congrats if you keep him. He obviously knows a cat person when he sees one, and people don't adopt cats, cats adopt people. Our best cat ever, Fred, was a stray. He jumped and hung from our kitchen window screen for several days until we took hin in and fed him. And he stayed with us for almost 20 years. When they adopt you the bond seems stronger.