Cambridge Audio 840c Impressions and Comparisons

tkam

it does, other than the vrds transports the philips pro are the best transports around

I'm looking more and more into DVD transports, specifically the one that Muse audio uses. I think there are some definite benefits to be had with them. Problem with the VRDS is that you have to mess with EIAJ format if you're going to try a i2s direct type connection, which isn't impossible but just different.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 840c doesn't smooth over anything, it's really good with transients, especially that initial attack. On drums for instance the initial hit just jumps out and smacks you. I'm still a little unsure of the decay though, at times I get the feeling it's not always holding onto notes as long as it should.

I also get a feeling that output stage is holding back the player from being as good as it could be. I wonder how good it'd sound with a zapfilter or a transformer coupled output.

I always felt the decay was crazy long, in fact almost painfully long, like "please let that guitar note end so I can listen to the next one". :)

Todd, do you feel that perhaps the length of transients could have something to do with the diffusion you hear in the soundstage?

Nigel: The sustain...listen to it...

Marty: I'm not hearing anything.

Nigel: You would, though, if it were playing, because it really ... it's famous for its sustain...I mean, you could, just hold it....

Marty: Well I mean so you don't....

Nigel: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa.... You could go and have a bite an'...aaaaaaaaa...you'd still be hearin' that one.

honestly unless your talking about something like the esoteric transports the vrds, vrds-neo, or maybe the philips pro, most of the other currently available transports aren't going to be any better than a dvd-rom drive.

All the different variations of the top Sony transports were also widely used, JVC also had a great one and lets not forget the original Philips swing arm. It's sad that today we have the CD-Pro2 and some POS plastic drives.

does the CD-Pro in my Capitole count?

It does though I think it is the CD-Pro2... No matter as it is a massive die-cast beast.

The 840c doesn't smooth over anything, it's really good with transients, especially that initial attack. On drums for instance the initial hit just jumps out and smacks you. I'm still a little unsure of the decay though, at times I get the feeling it's not always holding onto notes as long as it should.

I also get a feeling that output stage is holding back the player from being as good as it could be. I wonder how good it'd sound with a zapfilter or a transformer coupled output.

Have you thought about RAM mods?

All the different variations of the top Sony transports were also widely used, JVC also had a great one and lets not forget the original Philips swing arm. It's sad that today we have the CD-Pro2 and some POS plastic drives.

It does though I think it is the CD-Pro2... No matter as it is a massive die-cast beast.

What is sad is Philips as a company has a track record of abysmal support, notably in the CD drive arena... hopefully they won't pull the plug on the CD-Pro2 ::)

What is sad is Philips as a company has a track record of abysmal support, notably in the CD drive arena... hopefully they won't pull the plug on the CD-Pro2 ::)

I think it is very likely that will happen soon.

Very true, exhibit A: SACD1000 transport

They didn't even bother to find out what was wrong with them.

They didn't even bother to find out what was wrong with them.

well, I think Alex got to the bottom of a few of the problems. Thing is, finding those MACE and FURORE chips is near impossibile for the DIY-er, or even people like Alex. I've almost bought the Philips transport 10 times now, but I just get guy shy as a lot of the problems are slow degradation not a quick break. This is hard when your rig is so unstable to deal with a source that exhibits some sort of quantum-uncertainty.

Nice review. I hadn't seen the Resolution Audio player before. It is quite a bit more expensive, particularly with the mods, than the Cambridge, so good to see the 840 holding its own more or less (I guess... depends on perspective). I noticed that GNSC isn't very talkative on their web page regarding the mods they do (other than the usual jargon).

Oh, and sorry to contribute to derailing your thread...

I would love to see a comparision between the digital in of the 840c, Pico and Duet. I tried to grab one that was pretty cheap but someone beat me to it. It does seem that the 840c can compete with some decent competition.

Bring your Pico and Duet to the freezing cold of New England and we'll have a meet! >:D