pico vs predator, real measurements

kevin gilmore

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has the supposed similarity between the Predator and Hornet amp sections that was mentioned some time ago been confirmed?

I have a borrowed Hornet here to compare with the Pico, and I'm interested if that translates much to the Predator's amp section. The Pico is pretty clearly better sounding than the Hornet (though I think some complaints about the latter are a bit overblown).

i picked up a predator about a week ago and am really enjoying it for what it is...

i have yet to hear a pico, so my enjoyment of the predator is relative to no other portable 1-boxen

to me, the amp section does not sound like a hornet nor an sr-71...not sure if i like it or not...it isn't bad though. there is some sort of synergy with the dac, since i think it sounds better from the dac than input.

i have no use for portable gear (just something that will fit in a backpack for transport to work where i plug it in). i'm almost certain i'll go back to a da10 or minidac and sell the predator in the next week or so (mostly because i don't want to wait a month or two for a pico...but i am very eager to hear one some day)

mjb

i picked up a predator about a week ago and am really enjoying it for what it is...

i have yet to hear a pico, so my enjoyment of the predator is relative to no other portable 1-boxen

to me, the amp section does not sound like a hornet nor an sr-71...not sure if i like it or not...it isn't bad though. there is some sort of synergy with the dac, since i think it sounds better from the dac than input.

i have no use for portable gear (just something that will fit in a backpack for transport to work where i plug it in). i'm almost certain i'll go back to a da10 or minidac and sell the predator in the next week or so (mostly because i don't want to wait a month or two for a pico...but i am very eager to hear one some day)

mjb

I might be able to give oyu a decent deal on a usb capable minidac, if it comes to that. Send me a pm.

mjb

i've decided that, to me, the predator's dac sounds pretty good, but the amp, not so much...

even though it's within the 30 days, i was actually just going to sell it since i don't like returning stuff if it lives up to my expectations and i'm only moving on to something else...but i've concluded that overall, i prefer my dell laptop headphone jack as an amp...which in my book, falls quite short of expectations

mjb

are you just being kind to the predator or is the dell headphone out that good?

the headphone jack (i.e. laptop's internal soundcard dac and amp hp out) on the laptop is crap (for a number of different reasons), but as an amplifier, it is far more "open" and "powerful" sounding (read: not necessarily louder)...the predator amp just makes everything sound more compressed, thin and slightly more distorted than even the laptop. that said, the predator dac is really not half bad, in fact when i run the hp out as a "line-out" to a different device, it sounds ok...sort of like any other $200 dac might sound...nothing special :-)

mjb