pico vs predator, real measurements

kevin gilmore

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While the graphs are interesting and empirically conclusive, I think we need some perspective here... the Predator will, no doubt, sound incredible (if you don't get the hiss when plugged into a PC) and plenty of people will like it a lot. From what I can gather there are probably 160 Predators and maybe 300-350 Picos that have been sold... and there will be 500 or so happy customers there (along with 2 happy vendors).

Why all the trashtalk when we could have a big love-in? ^-^

Ray is one of those people that likes to count his chickens before they hatch.

And he likes to sell at least 500 of a portable before he moves on to the next one.

So if he could sell 500 @ 425 that would be $212K

justin is eating into that at a rate of more than 50% so ray will be lucky to sell

200 @ 425 and that would be $85k.

So ray is by the way he measures stuff at least $127k in the hole. :rofl:

Hmm. I still think RSA will sell 400 of them eventually. Maybe not 500 as he is up against what seems to be a great product. I really like my Tomahawk now that I've figured out it needs to be on the high gain setting when used with ER4S Etys, but I have to admit my next amp will probably have a dac and will probably be a pico. This is an eye wateringly expensive purchase for a guy in europe (shipping) and a wife (hint: it took me 2 years to get broadband) but I'm going to make it based on the opinions I've formed from reading a couple of websites!

I think this is the problem with the industry where the catchment community is relatively tiny for a manufactured product and all opinion is shaped on web forums apart from the occasional meet-up event and people who are happy to buy blindly. The winds change quite quickly. He'll probably sell less than 25 more Tomahawks now as well despite its many plus points, another peril of the industry & community. I'm sure RSA knows that better than most people and has set his margins accordingly.

I was not aware that the Tomahawk had many plus points.

Hehehe you guys! Any poor guest on these forums would think that RSA kit makes your iPod sound like the ass of a rhino that lives off a diet of cabbage and beans.

Battery life is ok allthough I really don't think it's much above 100 hours, nevermind the 400 hours people talk about. Sound quality is a nice, noticable improvement over the stock ipod under the right conditions - I came to work without it today and am actually missing it. Finally its size, it still fits in my jacket pocket which is a big bonus, I don't fancy a hifi backpack on the London underground :) Enough to make it worth my while, although those around me are constantly bemused at me spending money on portable music.

I can imagine a sound with tighter bass and more interesting mids / highs, and it would be nice to be able to plug it into the PC without the interference sound... you see where I'm going, but it still doesn't make me regret getting the Tomahawk... much.............. errr................ Damn I need to stop thinking about it!