NKOTB - TTVJ/Millett 307A Headphone Amp

n_maher

The front plate looks like some "Pro" equipments(in a good way) to me !!

Absolutely. Functional and imposing.

In comparison, the B52 is just covered in stupid bling - LEDs everywhere, seemingly pointless panels with gold screws, huge farken knobs and logos...... it wouldn't look out of place next to a Hello Kitty lunchbox.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In comparison, the B52 is just covered in stupid bling - LEDs everywhere, seemingly pointless panels with gold screws, huge farken knobs and logos...... it wouldn't look out of place next to a Hello Kitty lunchbox.

More bling=superior sound. It's a fact.

Very nice!

Enjoy the weekend and don't sweat the comparisons too much, just enjoy getting to know the new amp.

Besides, you have to burn it in for at least 1000 hours before you can do a meaningful comparison. :rolleyes:

Edit: I'm watching TV and just saw an ad for Kinoki foot pads, which supposedly draw toxins from your body through the bottom of your feet. I wonder if either amp would sound better if you put Kinoki pads on their bottoms to draw out the toxins in the amp.

With all joking aside, I have noticed some difference in the first 15 hours of use, mostly in smoothness of the treble and tightness of the bass. I do not know if the unit was burned in at all prior to shipping, but Todd told me the 307 tubes would require some burning-in before perfoming their best.

I also noticed that you have to pay attention to the connector at the top of the 307's. If this is loose, then there is a mechanical hum created. However, when this is in proper position, this is the most dead-quiet tube amp I have ever heard.

Now where is Riceboy with those R-10's?!? 8)

With all joking aside, I have noticed some difference in the first 15 hours of use, mostly in smoothness of the treble and tightness of the bass. I do not know if the unit was burned in at all prior to shipping, but Todd told me the 307 tubes would require some burning-in before perfoming their best.

I also noticed that you have to pay attention to the connector at the top of the 307's. If this is loose, then there is a mechanical hum created. However, when this is in proper position, this is the most dead-quiet tube amp I have ever heard.

Now where is Riceboy with those R-10's?!? 8)

I talked about burn in with Pete Millet at HeadFest in SJ last year. We agreed that it was almost certainly the listener's brain being burned in rather than an amp. So now you know the amp maker's view on burn in.

Loose connections are the first things I look for when I hear hum. I agree that this amp is very quiet and good sounding.

I talked about burn in with Pete Millet at HeadFest in SJ last year. We agreed that it was almost certainly the listener's brain being burned in rather than an amp. So now you know the amp maker's view on burn in.

Very interesting opinion via Pete. There are certainly two points of view on this issue. I must admit, however, that I cannot confirm or deny that it was my "brain" burning in or the amp, as I was listening to totally unfamilar headphones (K1000's), and their inherant changable sound due to different positioning of the earspeakers relative to the listener's head. All I can say is that my first opinion of the K1000's via the 307A (with less than 15 minutes of use) was that they were excessively bright and thin, with exaggerated sibilance. Now, they sound more fleshed-out, warmer, but still with a little "thinness" (some would call it "airiness") to the sound. As mentioned, however, this could also be due to me positioning the drivers in a different location.

Regardless of this issue, the amp is sounding fantastic now. This should be a fun day rexploring my music collection.

I agree. There are always posts on Head-Fi suggesting that manufacturers burn-in the equipment to save buyers time. Well, that would kill the benefits of burn-in wouldn't it? Maybe they are burned in sometimes and you just don't know it. It's a cute way to prevent immediate impressions or comparisons that are negative but still allow the positive at any time. The hourly updates are free advertising. Even if you don't feel like exploiting the benefits of burn-in, there is definitely pressure to keep quiet if you don't believe in burn-in, power cords, magic audio pebbles or things like that. So good for Pete for being honest about it.

I don't know why I find it so funny but a few years ago "run in" was a fringe thing that most were skeptical of but now it's the accepted norm. Same with cables but warm up is something which is very real but almost always overlooked.

Why does burn-in only ever improve the sound, and never make it worse?

How does it know when to stop?

Some cynics have argued that its just a sneaky ploy by vendors to overcome buyers remorse - keep it for a while, and you'll convince yourself you like it, especially after spending all that money on it. After all, who wants to feel foolish for spending so much on something they don't like ;)

Happy 4th.

Some cynics have argued that its just a sneaky ploy by vendors to overcome buyers remorse - keep it for a while, and you'll convince yourself you like it, especially after spending all that money on it. After all, who wants to feel foolish for spending so much on something they don't like ;)

Happy 4th.

Burn in made me hate the HE90 so it's not all good. :o

That being said the basic theory behind caps running in with use is amongst other things dielectric absorption of the insulator used which certainly is real but if it matters or not I don't know. Some gear does grow on you with time and some doesn't. You just have to read the meet impressions see what gear is always picked in a short session. Take the recent Nor.Cal. meet for instance where everybody loved the Lambda Signatures but that's a phone that is impressive due to it's forward/open nature but it also has some issues which it tough to identify unless you know they are there or can spend some significant time with the cans.

I switched sources over to the Audio Research CD7 and this makes for a SWEET sounding system. All kinds of vacuum tube goodness but without the excessive "tubey" sound of some.

In my initial comparisons against the B-52, that was my first impression, namely that the B-52 sounded a little more tubey than the 307A. Definitely warmer and fuller sound via the B-52 with less extension and sparkle in the treble and just a tad less definition and detail in the bass. Both were beautiful sounding, but that was the biggest initial difference perceived. More to come.

Riceboy is coming over this afternoon for a quick listen and impromptu meet. It will be interesting to hear his impressions.

Happy 4th.

I agree that "burn-in," whether it being the brain or the equipment (or both), is not always a good thing, and that could be an argument against the cynics. If is was just your brain, then one could postulate that all equipment would sound "better" over time as your brain got used to it. As we all know, that is not always the case. As with Spritzer and the HE90, I have had negative reactions over time with AKG K701's, NuForce Reference 9 V2 Signature amps, and the AT W5000's. Upon initial listening to all of these, they were impressive, but over time the flaws came out (and so went the equipment via Audiogon or Head-Fi!).

In the end, this is not a simple science, whether psychoacoustically or electronically, and there are likely many as yet undefined parameters involved in human hearing and the electronic reproduction of music. To think that we "know it all" at this point is to me a little naive, and to definitively state that something absolutely does or does not happen may be inaccurate. As such, I won't side with any camp as far as whether "break-in" is real or not, and will hope that my ears will tell me "the truth."

Yeah, right! :rolleyes:

Alright, enough bull. Back to the topic!

So far, thankfully, the 307A is getting better and better as I am discovering its virtues. Man, the midrange of this amp coupled with the JVC DX1000 is KILLER!

So far, thankfully, the 307A is getting better and better as I am discovering its virtues. Man, the midrange of this amp coupled with the JVC DX1000 is KILLER!

You're finding exactly what I did at CanJam, it's just a glorious amp to listen to. Again, congrats.

I switched sources over to the Audio Research CD7 and this makes for a SWEET sounding system. All kinds of vacuum tube goodness but without the excessive "tubey" sound of some.

In my initial comparisons against the B-52, that was my first impression, namely that the B-52 sounded a little more tubey than the 307A. Definitely warmer and fuller sound via the B-52 with less extension and sparkle in the treble and just a tad less definition and detail in the bass. Both were beautiful sounding, but that was the biggest initial difference perceived. More to come.

Riceboy is coming over this afternoon for a quick listen and impromptu meet. It will be interesting to hear his impressions.

I can't wait. I'm packing my Singlepower Dragon and Beta 22 as we speak. Can't wait to hear the DX1000 and R10s and HD650 out of your new amp :dance:

I can't wait. I'm packing my Singlepower Dragon and Beta 22 as we speak. Can't wait to hear the DX1000 and R10s and HD650 out of your new amp :dance:

Be sure to listen to some low impedance headphones, like Grados or AKG340's. I'm curious to see how the comparisons will be.

your thoughts about the b52 vs the 307a mirror mine although I have not heard them side by side. The 307a does an amazing job with the HP1000 series headphones we had Ken's pair at the NorCal meet and they sounded sweet out of this amp.

your thoughts about the b52 vs the 307a mirror mine although I have not heard them side by side. The 307a does an amazing job with the HP1000 series headphones we had Ken's pair at the NorCal meet and they sounded sweet out of this amp.

I used to own a pair of HP-2's and now regret selling them. Perhaps I will find another set in the future.

Be sure to listen to some low impedance headphones, like Grados or AKG340's. I'm curious to see how the comparisons will be.

You must've read my mine. I have a SR225 woodied Grado boxed and a AKG 340 headphiled boxed as well that I am bringing down to listen with the amp.

This will be my first time listening to the 307A and B52. We'll post impressions later :)

Hello? Where are the impressions? Or did you guys have a sleepover before listening?

Come on, were on island time!!! :D

Here are some pics of the mini-meet...

Important stuff first...food and beer!

food.jpg

Some miscellaneous headphone goodness!

Mischeadphones.jpg

The "I've gotta get me a pair of these!!!" Sony R10's.

R10s.jpg

Cary SLI-80 Signature F1 and PrimaLuna Prologue Eight CDP

SLI-80system-1.jpg

A VPI Scout/EAR 834P with the Cary SLI-80 system.

VPIScoutandEAR834P.jpg

Some SinglePower please!!! The "Dragon" next to the R10's.

DragonandR10.jpg

Beta 22 and 840C. Great DIY amp! I was most impressed, especially with the K1000's.

B22and840C.jpg

The listening room (AKA The Man Cave!)

speakersystem-1.jpg

Closer view of the B52/840C/VPI Aries 3/Cary V12 monoblock/Sonus Faber system. A Cary SLP-05 preamp with a built-in dedicated headphone amp is coming on Monday. Yea!!!!

B52system2.jpg

TTVJ 307A/Audio Research Reference CD7 system. Not half shabby sounding! ;)

307Asystem.jpg

Riceboy listening to his R10's via the TTVJ/CD7 system.

RiceboywithR10s.jpg

4N6 with the R10's. I could curl up with these and be REAL happy!!!

4N6withR10s.jpg

I have never had the opportunity until last night to listen to the R10's. All I can say is "WOW!" By far the best and most balanced sounding set of cans I have ever heard.

I was also impressed with the AKG K340's which were modified by Headphile. When using the "HiZ" setting on the 307A, they were quite detailed and with a good, mostly even tonal balance.

I also confirmed to myself that I am not a "Grado Guy" and am still on the fence and the K1000's.

As far as the B-52 is concerned, my initial impressions are still holding, that it is warmer with less treble sparkle and slightly ill-defined bass as compared to the 307A. Could it be the tubes I am usuing with it? Sure could be. I have some others in the stockpile so I will see if anything changes.

My thanks to Riceboy for bringing over all of his fantastic gear and the great food. It was a fun evening!