NKOTB - TTVJ/Millett 307A Headphone Amp

n_maher

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's about as impractical as it gets for headphone amps and again if your going to spend that much just get a speaker rig :).

As to the TTVJ/Millett amp, I'm ok with the industrial look as long as it sounds good. But really the idea of a $5k headphone amp just doesn't make much sense to me.

... if your going to spend that much just get a speaker rig :).

As to the TTVJ/Millett amp, I'm ok with the industrial look as long as it sounds good. But really the idea of a $5k headphone amp just doesn't make much sense to me.

It's not that one is better than the other, headphone listening is just different from speaker listening. If I had that kind of money, I'd definitely be spending it on the best headphone amp (probably commission another Dragon) I could.

Now that's an amp just crying out for a nice black perforated metal cage cover on it. I think that, and a black faceplate would negate most of the 'looks' complaints. As to sound, I'd love to hear it with my K1ks. Sadly, along with the rest, it's way too expensive to ever afford. Anyway, it's nice stuff like this is still viable and being made even if only for a select lucky few.

I like ;D

I would also assume that any commercial version would have non-mercury tube rectification, not that I know anything though.

I don't think that it would be that much of an issue anyway. Most fluorescent tubes still contain a fair amount of mercury, and nobody seems too concerned about that.

PS..... bloody hell, this forum has the most bizarre selection of smilies I've ever seen! :o

I don't think that it would be that much of an issue anyway. Most fluorescent tubes still contain a fair amount of mercury, and nobody seems too concerned about that.

PS..... bloody hell, this forum has the most bizarre selection of smilies I've ever seen! :o

Welcome to head-case! :)

• 1 month later...

Update - post CanJam - this amp is much better looking in person than the original pictures would lead you to believe. Of course my taste is skewed but I didn't hear many complaints about the look after folks put the headphones on. A little visual evidence:

96651831.jpg

96651874.jpg

96651878.jpg

I think it looks nice in that Air Tight amplifier type of way.

But...$6000?! That's like Blue Hawaii SE + Stax Omega II :kitty:

Nate is right that the amp is better in person than the pics, but his are much closer than the original promo shots.

As for the cost, it is a low-production, hand-built designs and the transformers alone cost a shitload of money.

:doghuh:

Is it a single chassis amp or dual?.... is it all in one box or is the PS in a separate chassis? I know the pic only shows one chassis, but sometimes at meets a PS can get tucked under the table for space reasons and so forth..... I was just wondering.

I don't like the looks at all, but I loved the way it sounded. It was my first WOW moment of CanJam (with 650s) and one that has stayed with me. Wonderful amp, but also had a pretty intense source. I'm not trying to take anything away from the amp, but when you're hearing an amp for the first time along with a source for the first time, I'm hesitant to say what where etc. The rig was one of my favorites there, that's for sure.

Yeah I never thought it looked bad per se, just really practical and utilitarian. It appears that the tubes and transformers are located not by looks but by where they would sound and perform best located. I would love to hear it as I love the sound of a solid tube amp with killer iron. I bet it's heavy, those trannies look menacing.