HeadRoom Balanced Desktop--Stepped Attenuator?

I'm tempted to say nay. Tis a shite load of $$$ and the more time that passes the more variable I want my control, not less. Granted, with the gain switch you'll be all set with the HR amp but I'd be shocked if you got back the type of performance gain that the price might have you expecting.

For me, to SA or not to SA is a question a pure preference. I like the feel of the little clickie things. Whenever I end up buying an HR Desktop (let's face it, its an inevitability), I'll probably opt for the SA. As I'm sure you know the HR SA is very stiff, much stiffer then a DACT.

I'll probably opt for the SA. As I'm sure you know the HR SA is very stiff, much stiffer then a DACT.

I honestly think that this perception is purely a result of the Headroom knob's diameter. If you've ever use a Single Power amp w/ a stepper you'd understand as the feel is pretty similar. You just don't generate much mechanical advantage with the stock knobs in both cases. That's why I like to use big honkin' knobs on all my projects, it greatly helps with attenuator feel, whether it's a pot or SA.

medium.jpg

I honestly think that this perception is purely a result of the Headroom knob's diameter. If you've ever use a Single Power amp w/ a stepper you'd understand as the feel is pretty similar. You just don't generate much mechanical advantage with the stock knobs in both cases. That's why I like to use big honkin' knobs on all my projects, it greatly helps with attenuator feel, whether it's a pot or SA.

medium.jpg

Interesting!

The feel of the Shallco attenuators is a bit different from that of the DACT or goldpoint. It is a bit more "stuttery." In other words the indexing is more robust. I don't think this type would be that susceptible from differences in turning torque? (which is the big knob effect).

I guess to certain degree this discussion is a mute point to the OP (because HR step ladders are of one type, but I think the gain switch if of great support here [i used to own a MOHR with stepp atnn]), but could be helpful for others considering ladders on their amps.

medium.jpg

I have listened to a HR Max with stepped and it sounded good, but I never heard one without SA side by side. I prefer some of my amps to not have a SA so I may control the volume better to get it just right, but I know the sound quality is not as good without a SA.

I like that big knob on n_maher's amp :)

x4.

I know all about excess. For instance, since my future amp has no room left on the back panel, I asked Mikhail to add an additional position to the input switcher that will allow me to use XLR input #2 as a balanced loop-out for XLR input #1 (albeit with the wrong gender, but that is easily fixed with a pair of male/male XLR adapters). Excess? Possibly, but I like the added flexibility. ;D

Here's a pic that shows just how stuffed it is. Oh, and before you mention the spot with the white warning text as a possible place to drill another hole, it's already been covered with a metal plate and fitted with a 6-pin STAX jack. 8)

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2835&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=f45f90cf6da380f87de499022f4b479b

• 3 weeks later...
I'd like 60 steps, though.

Damn near impossible with a simple, compact, discrete switch. If I were Headroom I'd be taking a cue from what DIY folks like Twisted Pear and others have done and be looking into relay-based solutions that can provide far greater numbers of steps and still be relatively compact or at least flexible.