What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are one and the same and both cats.

16 miles this morning starting at 4:15. It is so hot and humid, even at 4:15 that it's almost unbearable after 5 or 6 miles. Got ab20 minute massage on my legs after cooling down which was great. The rest of the day I'm going to drink water and beer and watch the bathroom tile installation. Well, not really watch, just drink beer which it's installed.

Edited by tyrion

They are one and the same and both cats.

I'm now confused, but since we all have our own realities, I'll accept that this is Mike's world.

The problem with furry critters is that the fur hides their wounds. He never even let on that he was ever in any discomfort, even when I brushed him, even on the day I took him to the vet and he already had a bad infection. I don't understand that part, but oh well. I'm typing with one hand now as he's curled up asleep in my other arm, and seems to be happy, even with the bib.

My dog, not long before he died, had a decent sized ulcer on his skin. I had him at the vet the Saturday before he ended up in the hospital and they didn't find it. I found the ulcer on the following Monday or Tuesday. He had been acting weird before the vets visit and it continued. The vet on Saturday assumed it was just his Addisons Disease acting up. When I took him in to the ER, the ulcer was infected. He went downhill overnight, unrelated to the ulcer and the next day he was gone.

I'm now confused, but since we all have our own realities, I'll accept that this is Mike's world.

The problem with furry critters is that the fur hides their wounds. He never even let on that he was ever in any discomfort, even when I brushed him, even on the day I took him to the vet and he already had a bad infection. I don't understand that part, but oh well. I'm typing with one hand now as he's curled up asleep in my other arm, and seems to be happy, even with the bib.

Cats are amazingly tolerant and tough critters. We had one cat that became semi feral (Tipsy; perhaps it was the name). She developed quite badly matted fur, and when we tried a two-person job to cut the mats off, we took a chunk of skin off with the scissors. Cat behaved like she never even noticed. Wracked by guilt we went off to the vet. "Oh don't worry" she said as she stitched away "I've done precisely the same thing myself - very easy to do". Which at least made us feel a little better. Large wallet evacuation later, she was as right as rain.

Ouch Vicki, that does look bad. I hope Ivan is recovering well.

Fred is indeed a dog, and Ivan is indeed a cat.

Fred is still doing pretty good. Today we went for a long drive. He still loved it, even though he can't see anything. When I said 'drive' his tail started wagging at mach speed.

Yup, they usually have gear for you to borrow. Bogu (the armor) may not fit perfectly since they are meant to be fitted exactly to your measurements, but it works, and you probably won't even get to using it for the first couple months. Getting a shinai for practice is super cheap, like $20-30 shipped. Buying bogu is a lot more expensive, if you want a decent one it's $500-700 and if you really want you could spend thousands.

Vicki -- looks like the other cat tore him a new ass.

Sorry, I feel bad for him, but since he doesn't understand English, I'm not worried that I may or may not have hurt his feelings by laughing at him.

And I have to ask: how can you not know that he was missing for 3 days? I guess he's an indoor/outdoor kitty, and you just leave food for him all the time, in addition to whatever he kills in the wild?

what if i want to spend millions?

You'd have to become an 8-dan through rigorous testing and training, minimum age 46. Then go to Japan, go to the best bogu craftsman and ask him to make you one with the finest materials. The millions would be in yen, but hey, that still ain't no chump change.

Dusty, I was the one who was gone for three days. He was out for maybe an hour, but had gone across the street to fight the stray cat that comes around. He's fought him before and lost every time. He's an indoor cat as much as possible. He manages to get out two or three times a month, but usually stays in the bushes in front of my house or under my car, and comes right back in when I call him.

Did a DIY wall mount shelf for the turntable. The new townhouse's floors are so bouncy I couldn't add it to the regular rack so I bought a 2" hardwood butcher block from Bed, Bath and Beyond, two L brackets and a 1x6" board to mount to the wall. The board made sure I didn't have to worry about mounting the shelf to the studs. The board is lag bolted to the studs, the L brackets to the board and the brackets to the butcher block. Results are excellent. No more skipping when walking across the room and I think I have a sound improvement too. Or it could be that I'm just so bloody happy to have vinyl back in my life.

:) I wish I had started earlier, going to have almost no time to commit to it this year but I wanted to test for rank and compete and stuff. Thinking about starting?

Friend of mine is about to test for san-dan. I dunno if I want to start but I do like the friendly atmosphere amongst the tournament folks. Friend told me it's very typical of kendo folks to be competitive but friendly.

Dusty, I was the one who was gone for three days.
Ah...actually, I think you explained that before, I just ...forgot, or didn't get it or something. He got out just before you left, and you realized he was out when you got back, or something like that.

My cat acts like she wants to be let out of the room, but as soon as I go to open the door, she runs the other way. I :ian: her, such a good kitty. She has taken to falling asleep purring, and the other morning woke me up by licking my scalp (actually, I think she was cleaning her tongue on my bristles, but prefer not to think of it that way).

Friend of mine is about to test for san-dan. I dunno if I want to start but I do like the friendly atmosphere amongst the tournament folks. Friend told me it's very typical of kendo folks to be competitive but friendly.

Good luck to your friend! Sounds right. Some people are a bit afraid to strike cleanly and decisively in the beginning, but that's what the armor is for, and smacking people with a bamboo stick is what kendo is for.:) Good stress reliever.

Ah...actually, I think you explained that before, I just ...forgot, or didn't get it or something. He got out just before you left, and you realized he was out when you got back, or something like that.

Close, but he got out and was returned by my neighbor about an hour later. That was before I left for Indiana. I just didn't notice he was wounded until I got back, and I didn't even pick up on it for a couple days after that. :(

Close, but he got out and was returned by my neighbor about an hour later. That was before I left for Indiana. I just didn't notice he was wounded until I got back, and I didn't even pick up on it for a couple days after that. :(

Hey - don't beat yourself up. Cats are really tough cookies - they have to be in a pretty bad shape before you even notice anything is wrong.