What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you need to get back to the city. :) Damn bees. That is one thing I didn't like about living in California, too many flowers means too many bees. We don't have nearly as many bees here... just flying cockroaches - they don't sting you though... oh and lots of mosquitoes.

cockroaches are far worse than bees. I despise roaches. In fact, just typing those last two sentences makes me feel like a roach is on me right now. I also have a healthy respect for bees. Or perhaps a renewed fear is a better way to put it.

On the way home last night, my son informed my wife and me that he doesn't want to get married because then he'll get "stinged" (pronounced olde english style: sting-ED) by a bee. I told him he was absolutely right.

Al, sensitivity to bee stings and food allergies change as you grow older, sometimes a sensitivity goes away once a person reaches puberty then re-emerges later in life. I would recommend that you get a prescription from your MD for Epipens and keep a set at Mayberry, your place in SF and perhaps in your office. Of course that is just my opinion but I would consult a good allergist on this and see what they recommend.

Dinny, next time try marking the mound entry holes with a large object like a stick or something, then return in the late evening when it is cooler. Bees/wasps tend to be less agitated in cooler weather making it easier to sneak up on them and nuke em with poison spray then escape unharmed. You may have inadvertently done the two worst things most likely to put a nest of bees into blitzkrieg mode, attack their home with water just pisses them off, do it on a sunny day just makes it easy for them to find you.

I love it. I especially love the "hold on, hold on" after the fuckin A. Reminds me of so many meetings I've attended.

Wait, You've attended meetings that discussed the deployment and employment of tactical thermonuclear devices?

This explains so much about you lawyerly types :)

Other than that, my strategy was flawless! :)

Actually, the same rule applies when dealing with most annoyances, say a yeti for instance. Do not splash a yeti with water, they do not like being splashed with water. Splashing a yeti with water will not end well.

My parents' place has what can only be(e) described as a bee infestation. You know how folks were saying that all the bees had disappeared. Well, they're at my parents' place in East Hampton having a grand old time. The odd thing--at least to this city slicker--is that the fuckers are living in holes in the lawn(!). Is that normal? The first two holes I blasted with hornet/wasp deadly poison, then put a shovel full of dirt over the hole "entrances." They didn't seem to like that much, but the deadly poison seemed to keep them in check, and the activity around those holes ceased.

The next day I found another beewaspnesthole in the damn lawn. This one seemed even more active. But I was out of bee deadly poison, so I decided to flood their hole (while giggling of course). I would have used gasoline but I was afraid. Anyway, after what I thought was sufficient flooding, I then did the old close up the hole trick. Perhaps they had a meeting the night before because they were ready this time and one of them got me good. I later noticed that the small spade/shovel I was using was hollow, I think (certainly not HC-certified). My theory is that a ninja bee sneaked up that damn shovel and injected me with poison right down into my thumb bone. I jumped up and down, howling in pain, shrieking obscenities in front of 4 children. I slammed down the stupid out of spec shovel, whined to my wife, and put ice on my thumb. Then I had a beer and watched roughly 300,000 bees claim the shovel as their own.

I won a battle. And I definitely lost the war.

Damn I wish someone would have filmed that and stuck it on YouTube! Not that I wish you any pain, but the way you describe the story it had to be funny as hell to see.

just found out i am teaching 6 classes this semester, taking 3 of my own, writing the final draft of my thesis, filling out all the law school application again, because, you know, then cant just look at last years...and taking lsats again...

also just found out that i have to keep 29 office hours/week till december. cock in arse.

this is going to be the worst semester of my life. i think it is also going to be the greatest semester of my life :P nothing like a semester from hell to cap your phd. literally.