What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Temperarily set up my new speakers that arrived this morning. This will not be their permanent placement, but are located at my desk for break in.

Two surprises were how big they really are, and that he chose to use the much more elegant curved cabinets, as the pics on his site (Daber Audio) are of the squared cabinets. They really are stunning looking in person.

No impressions yet, as they're running pink noise for now.

daberaudiomonitor300480.jpg

daberaudiomonitor300510.jpg

The last picture shows the little pillows I made quite some time back for rear ported speakers. Still too close to the wall, but the pillows really help with early reflections none the less.

daberaudiomonitor300980.jpg

Not done yet, but recreating a recording sheet for work since some idiot deleted it off the server. Not a difficult thing to do by any means, but annoying since it was a tedious document to create and it's going to take a bit of time.

No easily available backup of said document?

They're actually the larger 1 ft

Good to hear the Parts Express boxes are of a good quality; there are a few projects that I might just use them for. I'm guessing that the color difference between the baffle and the driver flanges is mostly due to the camera flash and isn't that marked in person?

I pulled my bargain mini speakers and my DIY subwoofer out of boxes today and was surprised to see that the cherry on the sub and the veneer on the mini's had aged gracefully while in storage.

They are different, The cabinets are piano Black high gloss, while the baffles come in satin Black. I don't think I'd want piano Black baffles, and rather like the contrast. I also think that wrapping the baffles in Black leather ala Sonus Faber would look awesome too.

Played golf. Ate steak. Drank whiskey. Middle age, where is thy sting?

When you say "Hello, Girls!" to some Young Hotties, only to be rebuffed

"In Your Dreams, Grandpa!"

Whereupon, you think some nice Werther's Originals might hit the spot, just before it's time for your afternoon nap.

Possibly? :)

They are different, The cabinets are piano Black high gloss, while the baffles come in satin Black. I don't think I'd want piano Black baffles, and rather like the contrast. I also think that wrapping the baffles in Black leather ala Sonus Faber would look awesome too.

the issue would be refraction at the midrange and tweeter edges. The flanges really have to be perfectly flush with the surface. Also, the different acoustic absorption of the material would probably effect the crossover a fair bit.

Edited by luvdunhill
spelling

I was speaking more of the difference between the baffle and the metal frame of the speaker drivers. If you have the skills to wrap the baffle, I say do it! That would look sexy.

Marc brings up good points though.... :(

I was speaking more of the difference between the baffle and the metal frame of the speaker drivers. If you have the skills to wrap the baffle, I say do it! That would look sexy.

Marc brings up good points though.... :(

It's actually quite a simple project. I did it to a pair of speakers I used to own in the 90's. You use a thin hide, and it stretches easier that you'd think. They make a specific glue for leather, and I just glued it to the back of the baffle.

It seems that the builder used some type of super sealant on these baffles though, so they're not coming off. Good idea for sound quality though, as the seal seems excellent.

The guy seems to be pretty cool. He said he decided to upgrade to the curved cabinets on my pair because I seemed like a good guy and fellow audio junkie. He liked them so much that he's planning on using them on further Monitor 3 units.

He has a larger pair planned for Jan/Feb, using the same domed mids, a larger planar tweeter and three of the same 8" woofers that are in my Monitor 3.

I would like to build a small bookshelf speaker using these HiVi drivers...

https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=136&products_id=1504

HiVi S1 5" Coaxial Midrange | Parts-Express.com

I love the idea of that concentric mid/tweeter, and would hope to get the imaging of a good two way, with the better bass and mids of a three way design (woofer crossed over lower).

I'd need someone to design and build the crossover though.