My GS1000 is broken !!!

Cankin

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sacd lover
This is one of the only things preventing me from buying a pair.

What prevents me from bying them is I think they sound funky. I would rather have any of the Alessandros or the SR-225/ RS-1.

To me -- the frequency response is fairly roller-coaster -like, especially in the midrange and treble.:D

This is my second time around owning them. I had the same funky sound experience like Tkam mentioned about a bunch of treble energy and not enough midrange. But, I do like the sound staging and how it sounds with Jazz. It has a bigger sound stage than the K701 IMHO. It's not the can I reach for a bunch of times, but once in a while it's fun to have them around :).

Funny thing is I think the GS1K sounds best with some not terribly liked amps here - WA6 with 5U4x rectifier, Raptor, etc. Guess equalizing roller-coasters taking care of the midrange and spectrum end problems.

I like my GS1000 with both of my SP amps. I still have to try them out on the B22 though.

Funny thing is I think the GS1K sounds best with some not terribly liked amps here - WA6 with 5U4x rectifier, Raptor, etc. Guess equalizing roller-coasters taking care of the midrange and spectrum end problems.
To be fair, when comparing notes with others to whom it wasn't their favorite -- we didn't always agree on the roller-coaster aspect.

When I first heard the GS-1000 in NY, I thought that John Grado had nailed it, and that it represented a real advance in the Grado sound. However, when I bought one, and in others I've heard since, I've never heard that sound again. In NY, my Earmax Pro could not drive the headphone. However, when the commercial version appeared, the EMP drove it easily. So, my wild and speculative guess is that there was change in driver to increase efficiency, but also lost the midrange. I doubt that anyone besides John Grado knows for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...