Aeolus magiDAC

Cankin

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey that looks pretty decent. Standard DAC chip, known to sound pretty good in some other sources that it has been used, like the meridian 508. Simple design, DAC coupled to some transformers, the stock ones should be pretty decent as well. For the price it might be worth it just to check out. This might be up my alley, I have been looking for a cheap DAC to couple with a SB or some sort of wifi music server to run tunes from the laptop. Thanks for the heads-up!

Well, I just got off the phone with Audiomagus and they told me they think the transformer upgrade is definitely an improvement and most would be very happy with it, but they're "not exactly pushing it" as they're also designing another, possibly even better transformer option (parts yet to be finalized as is price, but likely between $150-200). They're holding off making any claims until everything is finalized and they can A/B the options. On the plus side you will have the option (at least on the base unit though I didn't ask directly) of sending the unit back and paying for the new transformer upgrade (and shipping) later if you want.

I asked about SQ of the MagiDAC and they said the only comparable model they had internally was a heavily modified Citypulse DAC DA7.2 which ended up with a $600-700 price tag. They're "really quite pleased with the performance" and shipping is running around 3 days as they're "getting slammed" with sale orders.

I wonder how hard it would be to mod this thing for balanced output? Seems to me that if it's already trafo-coupled then it should be pretty straightforward.

Oh yeah it would be very easy to balance it out. The CS4398 I believe is dual differential so should be super easy to transformer balance it out.

I wonder how hard it would be to mod this thing for balanced output? Seems to me that if it's already trafo-coupled then it should be pretty straightforward.

Depends on the transformer but it's probably SE so there is not much that can be done unless it's replaced.

Well, I bought one. Did speedy shipment to hopefully get it by the San Mateo meet, but I'm not sure if that will happen. Either way it will be cutting it close to give feedback before sale goes off, but if I can I'll post some impressions. I upgraded the clock, but nothing on the transformer because of the rumored future upgrade.

We're going to try to do a little Pico/Transporter/Duet test at this weekends meet. Not sure if the magiDAC will make it in time, but at least the memory should be fresh. I'd love if the magiDAC could compete with the Pico/Duet - I'm not necessarily expecting it to, but those both have to be corded to a computer and my use here is to get away from one (like Star to use with a Squeezebox). Fingers crossed though.

On the likely unrealistic expectations front, I see the stock Citypulse DAC DA7.2 has been compared to the DAC1 a couple times. If Audiomagus thinks the magiDAC compares to a heavily modified DA7.2 .... ;)

On the bad news front there's been some faceplate issues and shipping has been delayed a few days. On the good news side they're shipping a prototype for the meet. No AES/EBU input and different case, but otherwise internally same. Should be able to get several opinions on this now (maybe even before sale ends).

Person I talked to is trying to get an answer on the USB conversion issue.