New Denon Cans

n_maher

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judging by the previously released Denon headphones, do you guys think headphones made by Denon, excluding all the baseless posts and impressions on Head-Fi, are good for their price, or somewhat justify their comparatively high prices?

The D5000 definitely sounded great in my rig @ the NY meet. I loved it with Agalloch's The Mantle, where it excelled with textures and layering. I just have no need for a closed phone... If I ever do, they seem to do a lot right and would be the starting point for me to look. I definitely prefer them to the W5000.

Unmodded or modded in my experience the D2000 was pretty average to below average. The Denon is like a Cerwin Vega subwoofer, there's nothing great about it other than its sheer bass volume.

Approaching the $500 mark, I'd personally just spend more money and get the Koss electrostat system if you didn't need to have a closed headphone.

Denon build quality is also about the worst I've seen in a headphone, however, sonically, the D5000 is decent, if not great. The deal-killer for me is an imaging flaw that only is really obvious using better amps. Maybe Denon skimped to meet a price point, but the D5000 fell short. If the potential of the D5000 is unlocked (and I have no idea if the markl mods do this or not), it would be a great headphone. If the D7000 is what the D5000 could have been, it has a lot of potential.

Well, as most folks already know, I'm no fan of the current Denons for one reason or another, though I get why people like them. I think they can give a good first impression, especially at meets. It's only when you can sit with them for a bit, and compare them to other headphones, using a variety of amps/sources, their flaws are just a little too much. Still, I'd like to hear improvements in the closed headphone category. I'd also like to hear the D7000, and even modded D5000s. Maybe they are good. I can hope.

So if no-one in my area gets a pair, I'll get a pair, but it'll wait until at least December-ish, probably more like next year some time.

Heh heh. If someone posts "best bass headphone ever", we'll see just how long you hold out.

Well, as most folks already know, I'm no fan of the current Denons for one reason or another, though I get why people like them. I think they can give a good first impression, especially at meets. It's only when you can sit with them for a bit, and compare them to other headphones, using a variety of amps/sources, their flaws are just a little too much. Still, I'd like to hear improvements in the closed headphone category. I'd also like to hear the D7000, and even modded D5000s. Maybe they are good. I can hope.

Meh, it only took me about 30 seconds of listening for their flaws to become annoying, even though I was going into it expecting to at least somewhat enjoy them. I think the only other headphones I've developed an immediate dislike for are Ultrasones. :-\

Meh, it only took me about 30 seconds of listening for their flaws to become annoying, even though I was going into it expecting to at least somewhat enjoy them. I think the only other headphones I've developed an immediate dislike for are Ultrasones. :-

I felt that way about the 2000s, but I get the 5000s, even if I ended up not liking them.

Has anyone here compared the D2000 and D5000. As best as I could figure they were almost identical, apart from the wood.

There was a lot of talk about the biggest difference in sound being caused by the cable. I installed a D5000 on my D2000 and couldn't tell the difference.

I really liked the D2000 when I first got them, but after realising that they didn't scale well I moved them on.

For $1000.00 entry fee I as a wood snob expect much better. Let's forget about SQ for a second and just talk about aesthetics alone.

My biggest bitch with the D5000 is the stained and overtoned wood cups. They have so much toner that you can barely make out any wood grain whatsoever. When you open the cans up you can see that Denon used a rather blah species of wood to start with.

As a wood snob I feel that if you need to stain a wood you're using a substandard wood to begin with. I have no issue with this when the wood is not meant as the main feature of a product or if the price reflects the quality of the wood. However for $1000.00 price tag I expect a top notch exotic wood with a clear finish.

I know that aesthetics are not the most important aspect of a headphone, but at this pricepoint one should expect great SQ, great comfort, great durability and great aesthetics IMO.

For $1000.00 entry fee I as a wood snob expect much better. Let's forget about SQ for a second and just talk about aesthetics alone.

My biggest bitch with the D5000 is the stained and overtoned wood cups. They have so much toner that you can barely make out any wood grain whatsoever. When you open the cans up you can see that Denon used a rather blah species of wood to start with.

As a wood snob I feel that if you need to stain a wood you're using a substandard wood to begin with. I have no issue with this when the wood is not meant as the main feature of a product or if the price reflects the quality of the wood. However for $1000.00 price tag I expect a top notch exotic wood with a clear finish.

I know that aesthetics are not the most important aspect of a headphone, but at this pricepoint one should expect great SQ, great comfort, great durability and great aesthetics IMO.

haha.. as expected of Steve XD, what about those AT wood cups?

haha.. as expected of Steve XD, what about those AT wood cups?

AT uses good quality exotic woods. They do use toners on some of their cups, but I think the idea behind that was to embody the Japanese Red lacquer technique, so that's quite acceptable to me.

The Macassar Ebony on the W5000 is beautiful, and should set a standard for headphones in that price range.