Source recommendations

barmar46

:palm:

I give up. I'm not going to defend a company based on you-all's impressions on one product, but they do some cutting edge stuff with, for example, their digital active speakers, and MLP Lossless compression (which, if I understand correctly, they developed). The comparison to RSA is not apt.

well I was only joking. I only heard 2 meridian sources ever in my life but I havent really liked any of them.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I have done some research on Audiogon based on all the stellar input overlooking all Meridian "for sales." Here's what I came up with: EMM - several choices but all over my head $wise; Audio Aero Capitole 32 bit/192 khz Stars src cd/dac remote vol $2900 (no analouge input to use as preamp), Examplar Audio Denon 3910 tube output stage mod $2250; Denon 3930 DVD/CD/SACD $850 (to be modded?), Denon DVD 3910 factory referbished $450. Anything worth at tall there? I'm out of my element here, Donny!

:palm:

I give up. I'm not going to defend a company based on you-all's impressions on one product, but they do some cutting edge stuff with, for example, their digital active speakers, and MLP Lossless compression (which, if I understand correctly, they developed). The comparison to RSA is not apt.

I am with you Dusty. Meridian has done more for digital in the past 20 years than any other company. Unfortunately they rested on their laurels and took the easy cheap route with the G08. The 508.24 is nothing like the G08 in sound or internals or design. Full discrete output stage, fully balanced dual differential design from the DAC on, beefy power supply, all high quality components, etc. And as 909 mentioned earlier, has a much more flowing, organic presentation than the G08. The bass on the 508.24 is outstanding and makes the G08 bass seem anemic in comparison. Some of the digital active speaker stuff is excellent and they did invent the DVD A standard with MLP Lossless, so you are correct, the RSA comparison is definitely not apt. I think it was mentioned simply because Ray uses the meridian gear. But even Ray has commented how POS the G08 is compared to the 508.24. There is a story how at the meet that was at TTVJ in Montana and the Meridian reps were there, and basically Ray in typical Ray fashion spent the majority of the day bitching how bad the G08 is internally and why it is not like the 508.24.

Ok, I did my homework and found an Exemplar Audio Denon 3910 tube output stage mod on Audiogon for $2200 that's been for sale since 6/8 (I know I listed this before but there's more comin') I called Exemplar and talked to John Tucker and he consulted with Jim Stephan. They said that the tube output stage was their best mod, the place where John, "did all his magic."

John offered me new prices on mods from the 2910 up to the 3930 but they all ranged from more than $1000 to $2000 more than the Audiogon post. I have established that the used one is still for sale and sent a follow-up email asking multiple questions about age, history of ownership, condition, etc.

Is this a worthy pursuit or a dead end?

that's really helpful. I think I assumed that without realizing it was not necessarily a done deal. As far as versatility would this source also be synergistic with an electrostatic setup such as Justin's BHSE or would that have to be digital. (I am preparing to get blasted for my ignorance but since I don't know the answer, it's far, far better to ask. In fact one step further...Justin told me he really likes the Krell SA CD Standard. Would that be good with either amp on only be a match for the BHSE?) Ok, have at me!

Either source will work fine with either amp. The BHSE takes analog input only, just like most amplifiers, so the only issues are price, availability, and preference. I know nothing about the Krells but some people, Justin included, really like them. I have heard the modded Denons and think they are a great price to performance option. Great performance and a good synergy with either of those amps from my experience with both of them.

Ok, I did my homework and found an Exemplar Audio Denon 3910 tube output stage mod on Audiogon for $2200 that's been for sale since 6/8 (I know I listed this before but there's more comin') I called Exemplar and talked to John Tucker and he consulted with Jim Stephan. They said that the tube output stage was their best mod, the place where John, "did all his magic."

John offered me new prices on mods from the 2910 up to the 3930 but they all ranged from more than $1000 to $2000 more than the Audiogon post. I have established that the used one is still for sale and sent a follow-up email asking multiple questions about age, history of ownership, condition, etc.

Is this a worthy pursuit or a dead end?

I think that used is the way to go. I have $1900 in my eXemplar 2900. If I had bought it new and then had eXemplar modify it, it would have been about $5500.

Ask John if he'll support it. If he will, go for it.

I'd be shocked if he wouldn't. When my 2900 needed repair, he immediately wanted my to ship it to him. There was no hesitation whatsoever. The fix eventually was going to be $50, but he waived that because I had them do more mods.

I think I'm just about there...So is the "tube output stage mod" a high grade, \sophisticated, upscale mod...you know what I mean, is it the "magic" John said it is. Like on a scale of Denon upgrades from 1 to 10, it's a...or maybe just the old college grading system "A, B, C, etc." I dunno? I'm just trying to refine my knowlege.

I can't answer that. Mine came with a tube mod to the analog session and I've never heard an eXemplar CD player without tubes. I've only listened to two, so I don't have a large base of experience among different eXemplar mod levels. I do know that I really like how mine sounds compared to other $2K and above source that I've heard. I think that the eXemplar magic has to do with the new regulated power supplies and and the constant source circuits for the tubes. So I guess the tube mod is important. ;D

I have been in contact with the seller. He says he is a dealer for John at Exemplar and that this unit was a dealer demo having about 200 hours on it and being about 2-3 yrs old. He said he will stand by it through shipping to my address and John will definately stand by it all the way. He also suggested that John may extend some kind of warrenty but I would have to check with him. I can get the cd player for about $2000 give or take a couple 'o bucks. The seller is just waiting for my return response.

So ...do I pull the trigger or ask more qualifying ?s are there other concerns?

Oh one more thing. If I wait on purchasing my new amp for a bit (maybe I'll go ahead w/the 307A, maybe the BHSE) but in the meantime still use my Headroom Balanced amp/dac with the home module, will switching out my current Cambridge 540c for this modded Denon make a big difference or are we talking "baby steps" since it's still a transport?

I have been in contact with the seller. He says he is a dealer for John at Exemplar and that this unit was a dealer demo having about 200 hours on it and being about 2-3 yrs old. He said he will stand by it through shipping to my address and John will definately stand by it all the way. He also suggested that John may extend some kind of warrenty but I would have to check with him. I can get the cd player for about $2000 give or take a couple 'o bucks. The seller is just waiting for my return response.

So ...do I pull the trigger or ask more qualifying ?s are there other concerns?

Oh one more thing. If I wait on purchasing my new amp for a bit (maybe I'll go ahead w/the 307A, maybe the BHSE) but in the meantime still use my Headroom Balanced amp/dac with the home module, will switching out my current Cambridge 540c for this modded Denon make a big difference or are we talking "baby steps" since it's still a transport?

There should be a great improvement using the analog output of the modded denon compared to the analog out of the cambridge.

Regarding whether to pull the trigger or not, it is your call. However, I would say that it seems that you are getting some support in the future from the manufacturer if needed and that the unit seems to have had little use from what the seller is saying.