There's something wrong in Colorado...

n_maher

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who knows? Part of Mikhail's problem is that he tends to tinker constantly with product lines. Another problem is that he takes on too much custom work. Did you ask for a 14A transformer or is that what he talked about?

If you have doubts, call him up and talk with him. Tell him that you saw pictures of an Extreme external p/s and that it did not have a 14A transformer. Refer him to the pictures. Get the brand and product number of the transformer he will use. Make sure that you and he are communicating well and are both talking exactly about the same thing.

I recently opened my Platinum Extreme, partially to verify that I had all the upgrades that I had ordered. That was after reading some of the recent SP threads both here and on HF. All upgrades were there.

your wish is my command...

Thank you. I concur - both filaments are used! Glad we sorted that out. (Sorry, English humour! ;-)

Why doesn't mikhail's stuff look this good? Its 3 to 10 times as much money.

I have no axe to grind and I've never heard a one of his amps, but I have to figure his stuff must sound good, otherwise why would people put up with paying up front and waiting eons for his amps?

A partial list of the great amplifier designers:

Nelson Pass: Threshold/Pass Labs/First Watt

John Curl: Mark Levinson/Vendetta/Parasound/CTC Builders

Dan D'Agostino: Krell

Jeff Rowland: Jeff Rowland Design Group

Antony Michaelson: Musical Fidelity

Kevin Gilmore: Northwestern University???

Kevin, when are we going to see you enter the audio business and put these terrific amplifier designs into consumer practice? Personnaly, I am not a DIY'er and would like to see your designs available.

Kevin, when are we going to see you enter the audio business and put these terrific amplifier designs into consumer practice? Personnaly, I am not a DIY'er and would like to see your designs available.

Not in this economy. Krell is going to shrink by more than half over the next few years

and has already laid off numerous valueable employees.

Levinson was bought by Harmon Kardon who is now itself finally in a bit of money trouble.

None of the levinson monoblocks are made anymore. Revel in similar shape. Crown now

also owned by levinson. Not a good thing.

Ayre and many of the other boutique companies are in severe trouble.

Many great and not so great speaker manufacturers have gone out of business.

Jeff Rowland fired his entire company something like twice now.

I would much rather sit down and listen to the music, and get justin to build all

the stuff i now want.

Too hard to make money in this business, and too much work to build it for nothing.

But they're KG's designs...

Not the pico or ae2. Both of which kick ass.

Mikhail, ray, justin and a few others are special people that put up with

a lot to do what they do. Same thing with the 2 todds. Ray was up until

recently the most sucessful of the bunch.

No one would consider Tyll normal by any stretch of the imagination.

I notice that AKG and Studer are now listed as owned by harman international.

A sad day indeed for revox/studer. nagra is bound to be next.

Kevin,

Thanks for the response and there is a lot of logic in it. It is a tough economy and has been for a long time for dedicated high-end manufacturers. Certainly not for those looking for a get-rich-quick scheme. To try to make a living in this economy running a small and very specialized business is risky at best and takes a lot of guts.

I also have a TREMENDOUS amount of respect for the small manufacturers like Ray, Mikhail, Justin, Jack Woo, Craig Uthus, Tyll, and others. To put up with design, implementation, parts, supplies, orders, shipping, repairs, and simple customer service (to just cover the basics) takes an amazing amount of work, dedication, talent, skill, and experience...something that many armchair quarterbacks such as myself will never be able to appreciate.

I also have a TREMENDOUS amount of respect for the small manufacturers like Ray, Mikhail, Justin, Jack Woo, Craig Uthus, Tyll, and others. To put up with design, implementation, parts, supplies, orders, shipping, repairs, and simple customer service (to just cover the basics) takes an amazing amount of work, dedication, talent, skill, and experience...something that many armchair quarterbacks such as myself will never be able to appreciate.

Very well said in regards to the amount of talent these small manufacturers have. My hat is off to them as Kevin has mentioned in this economy it's not so easy. Just as you have mentioned 4n6, I have a great deal of respect for them as it is a hard job which takes a great deal of dedication, commitment and heart.

A partial list of the great amplifier designers:

Nelson Pass: Threshold/Pass Labs/First Watt

John Curl: Mark Levinson/Vendetta/Parasound/CTC Builders

Dan D'Agostino: Krell

Jeff Rowland: Jeff Rowland Design Group

Antony Michaelson: Musical Fidelity

Kevin Gilmore: Northwestern University???

Errr, emmm, Pete Millett might belong on that list...

Errr, emmm, Pete Millett might belong on that list...

100% Agree. As I originally said, it was a "partial" list.

Hearing a lot of the behind the scenes stuff, I'm thinking the customer service might be the hardest part. A lot of audiophiles are shitty customers. :D

Yeah, I am sure that most audiophile customers want the product to look awesome, sound awesome, cost cheap, be 100% reliable, and be available RIGHT NOW! And they will bitch if all of the above is not true.