Micro Mini Meet at Eddie Current 7/18/2008

jp11801

Sure. Hopefully foo_me as well. Debating whether or not to post about in on head-fi or not.

Dan I'll be there, depends on the size you want, maybe make it an invitational?

Oh sure, Dan, pick a day when I am out of town. Sheesh.

LMK when you want to hear it, I can come over or host you here.

Hrm 9th doesn't work for Filburt either. Later then that he leaves for Arizona and first week is bad for JP.

If I said THIS saturday who could do it?

I think my place could probably support a fair amount of rigs... probably 8-10 depending on how creative we want to get with surfaces. I think it could support ~10 people as well.

So far we have JP/me/foo_me/filburt/PFK/Voltron interested? I should send an email to Michael N.

dac, amps, phono pre's, I'm looking forward to all this stuff going into production. It looks like he will have a kick ass lineup.

If even 10% of the ideas of what Craig concocted saw the light of day the lineup would be absolutely tits-tastic. Unfortunately Craig is such a perfectionist and tweaker that by the time he gets to point B he is already on to something bigger and better. I think in the past year and a half that I have conversed with Craig I am pretty sure i can count maybe 10-15 projects that have never seen the light of day. This includes discrete solid state, hybrids, tubed monoblocks, speakers, phono pre's, USB DAC, etc. - I have heard them all, but they have never seen the light of day. Which IMO is a good thing, to know there is someone out there who will absolutely not release something unless it fully satifies him as a listener and proves it to be somewhat profitable for him as a business.

The fact that there is a Xana part deux when taking this into account makes it even more of a miracle that current users can get something as high quality as the Zana. To me it represents true high end sound and build quality, and at that level of performance I believe it really becomes an issue of sound preference. In terms of neutrality and transparency it really is uber-fantastic. For anyone looking at Eddie Current Amps and are not biting the balanced bandwagon I think the Zana can be an end of the line amp for most users who are truly dedicated to pursuing the hi-end. Don't be scurred about biting on the ZD fearing that something better and badder is right there beyond the horizon, because most likely it will not come into fruition.

However, I will say that I do hope Craig is able to bring some of his ideas (which by the way are absolutely killer and I truly do feel from an engineering standpoint he is a genius on par with someone like a Nelson pass) to fruition as he offers something unique and a nice breath of fresh air than what is currently out there. Most likely it will be way beyond people's heads and will never be truly appreciated by most users (see HD-25).

I will also say that knowing his prototypes will never see the light of day, I make it a habit to consistently offer to buy them;D

Ryan, on this amp it does look as though he has ordered the transformers for the first run of 10 so it does look like the BA is being made. The speakers are a heartbreaker as he has been struggling to get these made for over a year.

Any ideas on pricing and tube complement?

Any ideas on pricing and tube complement?

I'd reach out to Craig on pricing and options, the one I have is the base version he can make it with a tube rectified ps that is more like the ps in my amp. It's a no brainer to get the better ps. The outputs are the 307a tube and I think the driver is a 6sl7 but the amp is not in front of me at the moment.

I'd reach out to Craig on pricing and options, the one I have is the base version he can make it with a tube rectified ps that is more like the ps in my amp. It's a no brainer to get the better ps. The outputs are the 307a tube and I think the driver is a 6sl7 but the amp is not in front of me at the moment.

Yo, nums, you ever going to check your PM's or email? :confused:

He said 3k for the initial 10 run and 3.5k afterwards.

He went over tubes too with me but I didn't really take notes in that area.

He said it will have 1 4 pin 1 dual-3pin 1 unbalanced headphone outs. balanced in and out and some unbalanced ins and outs. More maybe too I forget.

I think John posted he has one in the works some schematic from a college buddy or something. It's probably super early stages but we may see one someday when his lines start evening out.

a sold state stat amp could be built from what Craig said pretty quick as he had a channel of it ready to test. If there was interest people should ping him, I'm sure he'd build it if there was enough interest.

It was a friend from his Harmon Kardon days that he worked on the amp with, basically a guy who all he does is design discrete amp topologies.

So Dan is the meet this saturday or the second saturday in August??