The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

Nice use of the 10-22, Haj. Kind of re-kindles my interest in one. That is, if I weren't trying to move away from APS-C (and digital cameras altogether, for that matter).

Thanks. When I read that you're trying to move away from APS-C/digital, for some reason I imagined you lugging around a large format camera around Western MasNoNoNoNoNoNosetts.

If you use the wider end more, I'd think that the Tokina 11-16mm or the new Sigma 8-16mm would be better.

I thought about Tokina, but Canon is 1mm wider (possibly more as Tokina's wide end is supposedly closer to 12mm than 11mm), I didn't need faster aperture, and focal length gap was smaller to my next lens (35mm). I also have irrational fear of 3rd party lenses not working in future.

As for the Sigma, that bulbous end scares me.

The EF 50mm F/1.0L is a collector's bauble. It might as well be branded Leica for all the good it will do Canon shooters. The new EF 24mm F/1.4L is a much better piece of glass that will lead to better available light shots. Long time readers of this forum will remember when I explained at length why the Leica Noctilux is no damn good for similar reasons, and the Noct is actually sharp wide open.

Thanks. When I read that you're trying to move away from APS-C/digital, for some reason I imagined you lugging around a large format camera around Western MasNoNoNoNoNoNosetts.

I thought about Tokina, but Canon is 1mm wider (possibly more as Tokina's wide end is supposedly closer to 12mm than 11mm), I didn't need faster aperture, and focal length gap was smaller to my next lens (35mm). I also have irrational fear of 3rd party lenses not working in future.

I have been considering buying a 4x5" viewcam for a while now, but whas has stopped me is that I am really not set up to develop the negatives, nevermind making prints. For the moment, I'm shooting film with my EOS K2. Eventually I'd like to get an EOS 1v, or do something crazy and switch systems. None of that is happening any time soon.

I pretty much agree with all your points on the superwide zooms. At such a wide FoV, faster aperture doesn't matter much and every mm counts. I also find third party lenses suspect.

Any Head Casers got a PowerShot and feeling brave? CHDK Wiki

nex3 and epl-1......which is a better bet? i'm pretty much a point and shoot person....my better camera is a lumix lx3 and my wife and me love it, she wants the lx3 solely for her to take pics of our growing kids

E-PL1. The problem with the NEX series cameras is the goddamn retarded menu system, if you ever want to use it in anything other than the full auto mode it'll drive you to tears. If you're 100% sure that you'll never want to diddle with manual settings then the NEX series cameras work great, but if need to adjust the colour balance or ISO, have fun finding them and digging through several layers of menus.

On a slightly different subject, Reddit, the social news aggregator site has a series of "non ad" ads they run. Usually a picture of a kitten or something to thank the users for not using adblock. One of the admits asked /r/photography to submit some selections for new "non ads." I had three submissions:

Je4th.jpgCjMr8.jpghmKth.jpg

The above images are the size (300x224) necessary for the ad space. Click through on any of them to go to the Flickr page for larger sizes, EXIF, etc.

E-PL1. The problem with the NEX series cameras is the goddamn retarded menu system, if you ever want to use it in anything other than the full auto mode it'll drive you to tears. If you're 100% sure that you'll never want to diddle with manual settings then the NEX series cameras work great, but if need to adjust the colour balance or ISO, have fun finding them and digging through several layers of menus.

thanks.....solely for the auto function or scene selection function, which one yields better quality? With my lx3, I never went to fiddle with the manual thing. Its either fully auto or scene selection fr me.

I've seen that sell for $500 (occasionally with hood) on CL plenty of times.

Dang. Sometimes, I wish I lived in NY area or west coast as I've definitely seen better deals on CL in those areas than in Boston/MA. Some of them enough that I seriously contemplated 4 hour drive to and from NY.

Edited by Salt Peanuts