The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

It is a business investment.  And she's had a few paying clients, so she was trying to decide when to pull the trigger.  I'd have to agree that for what she's doing, the best course of action would be to hold out for the piece she really wants knowing it will get her the best shots straight out of the camera.  I was concerned about the Nikon 24-85 vs. the 24-70 just because it's such an old lens and it sounded like the trade-offs wouldn't be worth it.  And neither of us had any experience with the Sigma or Tamron pieces.  But holding out for the best piece (and being able to write it off!) isn't a bad way to go.

Edited by en480c4

In a week or two I'll going to be going on a trip out to Colorado and I figure it's a good time to pick up a camera bag and rent a lens or two (with an eye towards buying one if it works well). I plan on eventually moving to a full frame camera when this one dies, so that's also a factor to consider.

For my current lens, I have the 10-22, 24-135, 100 f2.8 and my camera is a 1.6 crop factor Digital Rebel. While I'm out there I'll be hiking, biking, hot air ballooning, etc..so I was thinking of picking up a walk-around lens like the 16-35 f2.8L and possibly another lens. What do you folks think?

For the bag it seems from previous posts in this thread the Think Tank UD 35 or 40 seem fairly highly recommended so I'll probably go with one of those, unless there are others to consider?

Thanks in advance for the help :)

When I had both the 16-35 and the 35 f1.4 I ended up using the 35 way more often as a walk around lens. Might be different with a crop but 35 worked well as an everything lens and that 1.4 offered some great pics.

I'm not sure I see the point of using a large, heavy, limited range full-frame lens as a walkaround lens on a crop camera.  I'd follow Jeff's lead, and get a nice, fast aperture prime at a focal length you use frequently and enjoy, to give you a different option from your existing zooms.

Oh, and I've been using the UD35 for years, and really like it, though if you fill it to or near "capacity", it's a heavy beast for one shoulder, even with a Bihn Absolute strap.  I like it for carting my gear around on trips, but if I'm going to be walking more than a few miles, the gear just ends up in an internal frame hiking pack.

Edited by Iron_Dreamer

If you are walking a lot, you could try a belt pack

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/camera-beltpacks.aspx

or digital holster with a pro belt  (with a couple of modular components)

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/digital-holsters/digital-holsters.aspx

I find this to be much more comfortable than a shoulder bag (but I do have a bum shoulder).

If you are just going to carry single lens (not huge) on a smallish digital camera and want a shoulder bag, the Retrospective 5 is great.  The UD35 is really good but holds a ton (so you might end up overloading it). 

Edited by shellylh

The UD35 is really good but holds a ton (so you might end up overloading it). 

I'm so good at that, it's not even funny.  I think I've had it up over 30lbs, with a complete load of lenses, camera, flash, accessories, laptop, and portable music system :o

Granted, that's the air-travel "no-way-in-hell-I'm-checking-THIS-bag" configuration ;)

I really like the Retrospective line.  I have quite a few bags if you want to try/borrow.  ThinkTank Retrospective 10, 20, Streetwalker Pro and Airport; Billingham 225; Tamrac Pro 12; some Crumpler thing.  I am sure there are others but I have forgotten what I have.

Looking at an inexpensive mirrorless (w/decent sized sensor and small/pancake lens) and the Canon EOS M w/22mm pancake just hit $299 (and price matched a few other places) today. Some of the early problems (autofocus speed most noticeably) seem improved since it originally appeared (and nearly all reviews). Anyone have any experience pro/con?

EDIT: As stock was shrinking, ordered. We shall see. 

Edited by blessingx

^^^^ Never seen nor touched a Canon M, but I saw that deal and was sorely tempted by the body + 22mm for $299.  Nice pickup, Ric.  Let us know what you think after you've tried it.  APS-C with 22mm = 33mm fov which is perfect for street, kids, and general use.  My favorite focal length.

Thanks guys. This site (comparing to 7D) pushed me over the edge. Basically image quality getting raves, but criticisms everywhere were around price and auto-focus speed. The former has dropped more than half and the latter now twice as fast. Hopefully that's enough. 

APS-C with 22mm = 33mm fov which is perfect for street, kids, and general use.  My favorite focal length.

Actually Canon has 1.6x crop factor, so 22mm= 35 mm, the classic focal length. 

I'm really tempted to buy it, except EOS-M RAW files are not supported by anything earlier than Photoshop CS6/ACR.  I am still on CS5 and don't feel like buying CS6 just for this purpose, so I guess I will wait until EOS-M Mk II and my next full frame body come out for major software upgrade.

Aperture has RAW Eos-M coverage but I was surprised to see how few lenses were out there in the M format so far.  Seems like if Canon was really going to support it they would have put out a few lenses by now.  Thought about picking one up for a day bag camera but not sure I really care enough to carry around a 35mm camera everyday.

Amazon has them back in stock so I grabbed one and a few for gifts and that EF converter.  Need to dig up some of my old Canon lenses.

Edited by VPI
  • Like 1