The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

I'd go handle it in person.  For me, the big downside of the RX100 is that it was just too small (believe it or not) for me.  I didn't find the handling comfortable or intuitive.  In that regard I much prefer the handling of my Pansonic LX7, though the image quality and non-base-ISO belies its' smaller sensor, cheaper roots.

Outside of handling issues the RX100's are pretty superb cameras, though the lens isn't as good as the sensor, if you're picky (mostly just corner softness at wide and tele from what I've seen).  The AF is very quick, the menus well-organized, and the image quality/size ratio can't currently be beat (unless you start talking about the Ricoh GR and Nikon A, which both are fixed-lens).

I think it comes down to the price one is willing to pay.  RX100 II is a great camera "despite" its smallish 1" sensor, but some may view $750 as a bit too steep, considering that for $50 more, one can get the Ricoh GR with full aps-c sensor and that Ricoh charm.  Nikon A commands dslr-type price at $1100.  

I might have considered either Ricoh and NIkon A for my portable need, but annoyingly enough, both are limited by f2.8 fixed lens and 1/2000th max shutter speed (Ricoh at fast apertures).  

It's the Tamron 24-70 VC and Sigma 35 f/1.4 ART that are redefining what third party lenses can do.  

Tamron's "second lens element issue" is something to give you pause but unlikely a problem unless one handles the lens very roughly.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/09/tamron-24-70-f2-8-vc-issue

Otherwise, looks stellar for a 24-70 zoom.  I find the Photozone reviews to be fairly objective and comparable across lenses tested:

http://www.photozone.de/nikon_ff/789-tamron2470f28fx

I did the [screen based AF micro tuning]http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/cameras/1ds3_af_micoadjustment.html that I found online today, and I had pretty good results. Most of my lenses were close, or needed no adjustment, but my 24mm Sigma and my 50mm Nikkor had been a bit soft, and they are tack sharp, now. This weekend I'll try it again, with better light, and see if I can fine tune even more.

When I tried this method in the past, I just couldn't make it work. Obvioulsy an user error or two somewhere on my end, but I wasn't patient enough to figure it out.

Wow, I can't believe it, but DxO FilmPack 3 is offered for free download. I just downloaded it, activated it, and yes it's free and works. It's very similar to the wonderful Nik ColorEfex Pro which I also have. Get it before the offer ends smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.dxo.com/intl/sony

Awesome, thanks!

Did either of you get an activation code via e-mail or does it work without it?

Oh, and Reks, 24-85/3.5-4.5 is really a decent lens. Especially when one considers how cheaply one can be acquired. That said, Tamron 24-70/2.8 is tempting me as well.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

When I tried this method in the past, I just couldn't make it work. Obvioulsy an user error or two somewhere on my end, but I wasn't patient enough to figure it out.

Did either of you get an activation code via e-mail or does it work without it?

I got the activation code in email few minutes after registering.