The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

If the d800 is out, take a look at the Sony a7s. It's a fantastic body and will mate with your legacy nikon glass as well.

Also what Jeff said. I sold the 35 when I had the 50 because they were basically the same focal length to me for what I was shooting with them. Take a few steps back you get a 35. Move a little forward and you have a 50. With the ability to seriously crop you often didn't even have to step closer. The 24-70 seems to fit kinda the same pocket that a 50 fills. If I were walking around, id pick the 50 and maybe a 15 uwa if you want to get real wide.

With all the rebates coming to a close this week I am trying to decide on a D750 w/ 24-120 lens and a 5D mk III body which would be about $200 less than the Nikon with the kit lens.  I am leaning towards the Canon as I found a few basic lenses laying around for the Canon to get back into the swing of things, but the upcoming 5D mk IV in April is making me reluctant to buy this one right before a new one is announced.

I am actually talking to a guy about a used 5D MK III that I might get just to get going while I wait for the mk IV.  If that falls through I am thinking a D750 with all its advancements may be a better purchase than the 5D mk III new.

Went to the only large camera store I could find down here in Dallas to try out all the new bodies. They let me use each camera and pull up the results on my laptop. While I was not originally thinking about it, the D810 ended up impressing me the most except for color rendition. Massive Dynamic Range made it so nice to expose for highlights and bring the shadows up. A bit more noise at high ISO than the 5D mk III but the 5d pics could not be pushed anywhere near as far the 810. I really liked images from the D750 but did not find the body to be in the same league as the other two.

Still don't think I prefer any of them to my RX-1 overall but they each would be fantastic cameras for the collection. As I have no real lenses laying around I could really go either way at this point and will probably grab one today before the rebates end.

Just not sure which one....

Yeah, I would shoot raw so it would not matter much with JPEG color rendition. I really just wanted to see if people were less orangish now in Nikonworld.

If I could have bought a d750 in a D810 body I would have probably walked out with that today.

Edited by VPI

Bought a D750, Sigma 35 f1.4 Art, Sigma 85f1.4, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VRII and a Nikon 60 f2.8 micro. Canon bodies/sensors just are not what I am looking for now. Will eventually buy a d810 for portraits, back up body, etc at the wedding.

• Like 2