The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

4th of July pics from a weekend trip into the Rocky Mtns, as noted:

- #1 through #4 along Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mtn National Park. #5 also in RMNP at the Alpine Visitor Center - the dog was cool, had to take a shot. Yup there was still snow and lots of it!

- #6 and #7 from Green Mountain Reservoir along CO 9 (from Hot Sulphur Springs to Frisco).

- #8 from Frisco's Fantastic 4th of July Parade.

- #9 from the marina in Lake Dillon.

- #10-#13 of Frisco's fireworks show over Lake Dillon and the resulting smoke (#13).

- #14 & #15 are Frisco by day (Ten Mile Peak directly behind the town) and Lake Dillon, respectively.

Made several attempts at multiple exposures on this trip to save for HDRs at some point in the future. :)

post-893-0-61523900-1309929097_thumb.jpg post-893-0-13399500-1309929103_thumb.jpg post-893-0-97724200-1309929107_thumb.jpg post-893-0-37333800-1309929113_thumb.jpg post-893-0-91539300-1309929118_thumb.jpg post-893-0-09287000-1309929124_thumb.jpg post-893-0-83866700-1309929128_thumb.jpg post-893-0-40961100-1309929136_thumb.jpg post-893-0-61565100-1309929141_thumb.jpg post-893-0-27614200-1309929147_thumb.jpg post-893-0-89150700-1309929157_thumb.jpg post-893-0-35199100-1309929162_thumb.jpg post-893-0-25331400-1309929166_thumb.jpg post-893-0-21510800-1309929171_thumb.jpg post-893-0-92830100-1309929175_thumb.jpg

Edited by Asr

Anyone here have any experience with Micro 4/3 systems? I'm semi-seriously considering moving to something that weighs less than my Canon as the tendonitis in my left hand gets severely aggravated anytime I shoot for decent amount of time. I thought about other mirrorless systems, but Micor 4/3 (and 4/3) appears to be the only mirrorless systems that doesn't force you to use the LCD to compose your shots (it doesn't hurt that just announced PEN E-P3's supposed performance doesn't look bad). I suppose I could tough it out and wait for the rumored Canon mirrorless, though who knows if/when it will actually happen.

Didn't you just move to a 7d? You probably should have stuck with a Rebel. I tried moving to mirrorless but the LCD was just aggravating. I could never get into it. If you have to, find something with a viewfinder. You can always trade your 7d for a X100.

Sigmas AF very poorly on Canon bodies. Certain copies are alright, certain copies are way off. It's better with microadjust, but some don't ever focus consistently so you can't compensate.

They are fairly consistent on Nikons, mostly due to the fact that Nikon AF is far more robust.

nikon rules, as always.

I would cry out louder to this, but I did have to send back Sigma 70mm Macro due to the fact it simply would not focus in live view mode on my Canon. I mean, macro is one dang place where one needs live view for that elbow grease focusing :o

Didn't you just move to a 7d? You probably should have stuck with a Rebel. I tried moving to mirrorless but the LCD was just aggravating. I could never get into it. If you have to, find something with a viewfinder. You can always trade your 7d for a X100.

Yes, but when I moved to 7d (was using 50d before that, so not much weight difference), I could still shoot without pain (nor did I experience prolonged period of pain afterward). The tendinosis has gotten steadily worse since then. My doctors and OT have basically told me that at this point (6 months of not getting better), it's likely that the condition is semi-permanent.

Availability of viewfinder is the reason I'm considering Micro 4/3 over other mirrorless systems.

It's just as likely that I'll just pop few OTC painkillers whenever I'm going to be shooting for some time and deal with the pain as it'll be just as painful (figuratively speaking) to lose the speed/performance of a SLR.

I would cry out louder to this, but I did have to send back Sigma 70mm Macro due to the fact it simply would not focus in live view mode on my Canon. I mean, macro is one dang place where one needs live view for that elbow grease focusing :o

Technically, this is a fault of Sigma, not Canon.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

Anyone here have any experience with Micro 4/3 systems? I'm semi-seriously considering moving to something that weighs less than my Canon as the tendonitis in my left hand gets severely aggravated anytime I shoot for decent amount of time. I thought about other mirrorless systems, but Micor 4/3 (and 4/3) appears to be the only mirrorless systems that doesn't force you to use the LCD to compose your shots (it doesn't hurt that just announced PEN E-P3's supposed performance doesn't look bad).

I had an E-P1 for a week or so before I returned it when it first came out. The lack of a built-in viewfinder killed it for me, yeah you can get an add-on but I'm a bit forgetful so I'd likely leave it at home half the time when I need it. The controls weren't that great either for what I like to do, I'm used to film SLRs and want direct control for shutter speed & aperture at all times which the camera didn't let me do, I had to play with too many buttons & menus to set the things that I wanted to set. I've handled the E-P2 at a camera show and the controls on that one are a lot better for me.

As for other mirrorless systems, the Samsung NX series gives you a viewfinder, it's built-in on the larger NX10 & NX11 while the NX100 uses a clip-on EVF. The NX100 is smallest & lightest of the 3, it's about the size of the E-P2 and feels a bit lighter though I'm not sure if it actually is. I also like Samsung's controls the best since I can just stick it in manual mode and use the dual control wheels to dial in aperture and shutter speed, it works just like a film camera. I find their menus are simpler and easier to use as well, the important stuff like white balance and ISO are right up front or have their own buttons, no digging through menu trees.

Now if they could just stuff the Fuji X-100 viewfinder into the NX100 body or make an interchangeable lens version of the X-100, I'd jump right in on the pre-order line.

then my choice become clear......going w/ canon. thanks fr enlighten me with this fact......

Wait a minute......i have no problem focusing with any aperture on my existing lenses. Is this focusing limit have to do with the physical max aperture ? or the focal length ? for example: 24-105 have no problem focusing @f11 where the physical max aperture is f4. So in the case of sigma, is it because of the physical max aperture that's 6.3? Anyone care to elaborate ? I'm using T2i btw. Thanks

Edited by forbigger

I had an E-P1 for a week or so before I returned it when it first came out. The lack of a built-in viewfinder killed it for me, yeah you can get an add-on but I'm a bit forgetful so I'd likely leave it at home half the time when I need it. The controls weren't that great either for what I like to do, I'm used to film SLRs and want direct control for shutter speed & aperture at all times which the camera didn't let me do, I had to play with too many buttons & menus to set the things that I wanted to set. I've handled the E-P2 at a camera show and the controls on that one are a lot better for me.

As for other mirrorless systems, the Samsung NX series gives you a viewfinder, it's built-in on the larger NX10 & NX11 while the NX100 uses a clip-on EVF. The NX100 is smallest & lightest of the 3, it's about the size of the E-P2 and feels a bit lighter though I'm not sure if it actually is. I also like Samsung's controls the best since I can just stick it in manual mode and use the dual control wheels to dial in aperture and shutter speed, it works just like a film camera. I find their menus are simpler and easier to use as well, the important stuff like white balance and ISO are right up front or have their own buttons, no digging through menu trees.

Now if they could just stuff the Fuji X-100 viewfinder into the NX100 body or make an interchangeable lens version of the X-100, I'd jump right in on the pre-order line.

There are rumors that a m4/3 and a X-100 base with interchangable lense are coming from Fuji.

Wait a minute......i have no problem focusing with any aperture on my existing lenses. Is this focusing limit have to do with the physical max aperture ? or the focal length ? for example: 24-105 have no problem focusing @f11 where the physical max aperture is f4. So in the case of sigma, is it because of the physical max aperture that's 6.3? Anyone care to elaborate ? I'm using T2i btw. Thanks

Physical max. Say you have a 70-200 f4 with a 2x extender. That would leave you at f8, where only the 1 series will AF.

PuwhaHwahwa!!! Their so-called Q/A Section says:

Can I adjust the aperture of my SLR lens while I'm using the mount?

Depends on what lens you're using! Most old school film SLR lenses have an aperture ring on them. If you're using a newer digital lens then you're out of luck.

Hold up, why are the images upside down?

The SLR Mount doesn't have any mirrors inside. Usually there's a mirror inside your camera that flips the image right-side up. But iPhones are indeed mirror-less, so you'll have to rotate the images using an editing app.

Why are my photos grainy/splotchy?

The Lens Mount uses a focusing screen just like your DSLR. It can get dirty easily since it is relatively unprotected (it's exposed each time you assemble the mount). Be sure to clean it using an air-duster or soft cloth each time you shoot. You may still see some particles, that's normal.

My images are coming out a tad darker than I'd like, what's the deal?

We've found that you'll lose about 1 to 2 f-stops when using the adapter. Using an older lens with a manual aperture ring helps control this. Otherwise you may need to brighten up the images in post.

Physical max. Say you have a 70-200 f4 with a 2x extender. That would leave you at f8, where only the 1 series will AF.

Yes, remember that your lens doesn't stop down to focus. It only stops down to take the picture or when you press the DOF button.

can you really see that many stars in the sky at that altitude? at sea level, i see maybe 3 stars on a clear night.

I think it's more a function of how much other lights (e.g., buildings, billboards, etc.) are near where you are. I used to see skies similar to that (albeit without those shooting starts) every time I was out on overnight/multi-day hiking trips (i.e., I was away from civilization).

EDIT - And a gorgeous shot, Peter!

Edited by Salt Peanuts